HWCH 2009 (Who you looking forward to seeing?) (1 Viewer)

That's it exactly. 5 minutes is all it takes to change an amp. If I was using someone else's it would take a lot longer. I know my own gear.

I'm sure there's a whole other "discussion" about the merits of stage manager's.

This is it. In a similar way I love when people borrow my old Marshall...what do you mean there's only one channel? Where's the FX loop? Is there built in delay? It doesn't even have reverb?! So how do I get the British Crunch setting?

Nope, it's free, it just takes time to fill out the forms. Most bands will make very little but if you submit forms outlining where you play and what your set list was you'll get money for playing in a venue (dependent on size, big venue = lots of money, small = not so much) and money for the songs that you play (once they're registered). You'll also get money for airplay (dependant on listener figures, RTE lots of money, phantom not so much). It's impossible to say how much you'll get, I think the biggest cheque I got was about €250 after the release of the coldspoon album & lots of touring, I'd say the Delorentos boys get a lot more with festivals and airplay on major stations. You should also join RAAP which is done based on music performance.

So it's possible to play say a 10 song set and say you played 20?
Each song has to be registered? does that cost? Or is that presumably what's registered with IMRO?

All things considered. I'm sure most bands would get incredibly little to nothing out of it(€250,for what would otherwise go unnoticed is fair enough though). But then I suppose it's about goals and all that.

These events just aren't for me,but it's been a long,long time since I was near one and it was in belfast opposed to dublin. I'm way more distant from them now than before too,it's just interesting to hear a take on it,and what a band stands to benefit from it.

This is it. In a similar way I love when people borrow my old Marshall...what do you mean there's only one channel? Where's the FX loop? Is there built in delay? It doesn't even have reverb?! So how do I get the British Crunch setting?

Haha,so many times. I've played through my old selmer,no pedal,just everything on 10,and had to lend it. All of a sudden it becomes my fault the other bands suck or sound shit.

Got into this for free last night. It struck me how few people there were at it compared to the last time I went (2007, I think). To me, the ticket prices seem ludicrous. If the festival is designed with the aim of promoting (allegedly) talented young bands, charging exorbitant prices is a good way of alienating much of their potential audience. Surely an event such as this should be free (or am I being naive?) or at the very most 10 euro for one night and 20 for the weekend. I think the festival is a good initiative but charging these kinds of prices seems really counterproductive, and justifies to some extent reactions like Cormoclash's.

And the name is fucking godawful.

There was only one band I'd heard that I liked playing the whole weekend(OFAC). A whole lot of bands I'd never heard of and a bunch I don't care for.
I'm sure as hell not paying the price to go see a bunch of bands who for all I know could be shit. Having said that I'm probably not the best person these days for making that call.

Got into this for free last night. It struck me how few people there were at it compared to the last time I went (2007, I think). To me, the ticket prices seem ludicrous. If the festival is designed with the aim of promoting (allegedly) talented young bands, charging exorbitant prices is a good way of alienating much of their potential audience. Surely an event such as this should be free (or am I being naive?) or at the very most 10 euro for one night and 20 for the weekend. I think the festival is a good initiative but charging these kinds of prices seems really counterproductive, and justifies to some extent reactions like Cormoclash's.

Sunday was always going to be quieter. Seemingly the other nights were well attended. €40 for 3 days worth of entertainment from 7:30pm - 2:30am seems OK to me when it's all in professional venues, with professional sound engineers and professional equipment, it ain't and was was never going to be a DIY type festival. It's €40 for one day at the horrorthon!

I don't see how people are complaining about the cost - for 15 quid you could hope between venues all night. I went from Twisted Pepper-> Academy -> Button Factory -> ALT -> Twisted Pepper one of the nights. Great fun.

So it's possible to play say a 10 song set and say you played 20?
Each song has to be registered? does that cost? Or is that presumably what's registered with IMRO?

All things considered. I'm sure most bands would get incredibly little to nothing out of it(€250,for what would otherwise go unnoticed is fair enough though). But then I suppose it's about goals and all that.

These events just aren't for me,but it's been a long,long time since I was near one and it was in belfast opposed to dublin. I'm way more distant from them now than before too,it's just interesting to hear a take on it,and what a band stands to benefit from it.

No cost to register, you probably could scam it but at festivals IMRO tend to have people checking up on things.

Yeah most bands won't get much, for you Gary RAAP would be the big earner, I've gotten 2/3 €150 cheques from them and that's all about playing gigs.

I sound like a feckin IMRO pro here, truth is that we still haven't registered properly but we're doing all that soon to collect on all the gigs we've played recently. As you say it might not be much but €10 is better than no euros.

i might aswell say it,

i work in imro and as far as i can see there is no downside for a band being registered for the reasons mentioned already - particularly if your tunes are being broadcast on tv/radio.

that being said i never bothered registering when i was gigging a few years ago so there you go.

just ring up and ask for the membership department and they'll take you through everything.

I must check to see if I'm still a member.Does your membership lapse if you dont use it?

No cost to register, you probably could scam it but at festivals IMRO tend to have people checking up on things.

Yeah most bands won't get much, for you Gary RAAP would be the big earner, I've gotten 2/3 €150 cheques from them and that's all about playing gigs.

I sound like a feckin IMRO pro here, truth is that we still haven't registered properly but we're doing all that soon to collect on all the gigs we've played recently. As you say it might not be much but €10 is better than no euros.

Are IMRO aware that some bands run songs into each other? Haha.

What's RAAP?

I'm unlikely to ever do anything about it as I'm the kind of person who would have the Taxman at the door demanding share from non existent payments for gigs.

Are IMRO aware that some bands run songs into each other? Haha.

What's RAAP?

I'm unlikely to ever do anything about it as I'm the kind of person who would have the Taxman at the door demanding share from non existent payments for gigs.

http://www.raap.ie/

AH HA! So you admit that you have played a lot of gigs lately!

Someone call jill hives

Oh no, our managers not going to be happy with me!

I was going to go in on Friday to see Talulah Does the Hula, but I was not prepared to pay €21 for the pleasure.
Sure, it great that you can pop from venue to venue, but when you've seen every other band on the list what feels like a thousand times and are fairly non-plussed, then yes, €21 is a lot to see one band.

I was going to go in on Friday to see Talulah Does the Hula, but I was not prepared to pay €21 for the pleasure.
Sure, it great that you can pop from venue to venue, but when you've seen every other band on the list what feels like a thousand times and are fairly non-plussed, then yes, €21 is a lot to see one band.

yes but it's a festival! Would you go to Oxegen or Electric Picnic for one band? Not many would.

yes but it's a festival! Would you go to Oxegen or Electric Picnic for one band? Not many would.

thing is, most of the bands on the list you can see quite regularly in town anyway, as opposed to a well known artists that might visit year every year or two
the likes of adebisi shank are not going to suddenly disappear from our view for vast periods of time!

i dont understand why you couldnt just pay into one gig.
none of our friends came to our gig - when we told them they had to pay €18.50 they laughed in our faces.
understandably.

also, i think it was a bit rich that bands werent given a guest list for their own gig.
not asking for a wristband or anything, just a couple of names on the door.

this is my first post in 4 years.
im clearly annoyed.

i dont understand why you couldnt just pay into one gig.
none of our friends came to our gig - when we told them they had to pay €18.50 they laughed in our faces.
understandably.

also, i think it was a bit rich that bands werent given a guest list for their own gig.
not asking for a wristband or anything, just a couple of names on the door.

this is my first post in 4 years.
im clearly annoyed.

get that completely, but i just find it hard to justify that much for one or two bands - especially when cash is (quite frankly) very tight

also understand that the overheads for the festival must be quite high and that the money has to come from somewhere

:)
leigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back