HWCH 2009 (Who you looking forward to seeing?) (1 Viewer)

how to you get money from IMRO?

They expect you to borrow equipment?

We played a few festivals this year and were told use the provided equipment each time. At one of them, the amp I was given broke in the first song. Super.
At HWCH, I had no problems with the equipment.

We got treated very well at this. Nice folks and well organised. Decent full backline provided, no entry fees, free entry to the rest of the festival.

Whatever problem people might have with the name or the choice of some of the acts, I reckon it's pretty fairly run. The only way it could be improved would be to get some petrol money for the provincial bands travelling

Was so tired yesterday, did too much stuff (acoustic gig, radio interview and session and full gig and lots of driving around).

I'm fairly sure Cormac knows all about Exchange. But it that doesn't excuse the fact that the arts council are throwing money at something aimed at making money for business people as opposed to musicians which seems to be his point.

I don't know where people get these mad ideas that a festival of unknown new bands, 40 euro for three nights, makes any money at all.
I also don't know where the line is drawn between evil corporations and music promoters in the heads of some people.

Perhaps those losing money on the shows they put on are fighting the system, brave rebels in an unjust world, until they suddenly turn a profit some night, then they immediately become evil faceless corporations sucking the life blood of struggling guitar heroes for sustenance.

Or maybe it's their poster designs.

I dunno.

By the way, to the best of my (admittedly, limited) knowledge "pop/rock" music gets very little from the AC. The last thing the music community should be doing is claiming it gets untold sums and undermining their case.

I'd imagine after venue/back line hire, promotion and paying the industry people for their time you'd be right that it doesn't make any money.

I don't know where you get the unknown bands from though.

I'd imagine after venue/back line hire, promotion and paying the industry people for their time you'd be right that it doesn't make any money.

I don't know where you get the unknown bands from though.

Well, let's say "unsigned" then, or "little known", or whatever, you get the jist.

how to you get money from IMRO?

They expect you to borrow equipment?

Become a member, fill out a form with your set list info.

Yes in the smaller venues, good gear though, there was an ampeg stack, a vintage fender deluxe & a vintage Marshall JCM800 in Twisted Pepper. Most small festivals are run like that when change overs are tight.

seemingly? you played, did you get paid or not? and do you have to register with IMRO to play at all?

fuck IMRO also

Man you're angry, IMRO are pretty great in my opinion, filling in the forms can be tricky but once it's done you're flyin'. If you keep on top of it you'll get regular payments. HWCH payments will be sent out by cheque once all the forms are processed.

I'd be interested in getting money. How do I do it?
We had to fill out forms when we collected the passes, register with IMRO if you haven't already, drop them or IMRO a line and they'll be able to advise you.

Become a member, fill out a form with your set list info.

Yes in the smaller venues, good gear though, there was an ampeg stack, a vintage fender deluxe & a vintage Marshall JCM800 in Twisted Pepper. Most small festivals are run like that when change overs are tight.

does it cost to become a member? How much money could a band expect in return? (I think you've half answered this,but what do you mean by "keep on top")

I wouldn't be particularly impressed having to play through a vintage fender deluxe or a vintage Marshall JCM800,when I have my own amp that sounds how I want to sound.

does it cost to become a member? How much money could a band expect in return? (I think you've half answered this,but what do you mean by "keep on top")

I wouldn't be particularly impressed having to play through a vintage fender deluxe or a vintage Marshall JCM800,when I have my own amp that sounds how I want to sound.

Nope, it's free, it just takes time to fill out the forms. Most bands will make very little but if you submit forms outlining where you play and what your set list was you'll get money for playing in a venue (dependent on size, big venue = lots of money, small = not so much) and money for the songs that you play (once they're registered). You'll also get money for airplay (dependant on listener figures, RTE lots of money, phantom not so much). It's impossible to say how much you'll get, I think the biggest cheque I got was about €250 after the release of the coldspoon album & lots of touring, I'd say the Delorentos boys get a lot more with festivals and airplay on major stations. You should also join RAAP which is done based on music performance.

As for the amp thing, I know what you mean, I too would prefered to have used my own but in most cases the gear is better than the gear the band would actually bring (& it's been regularly service). Besides you know what your getting into before you play, it's all in the emails & tech specs.

In fairness if you were a stage manager under alot of pressure you might not be too keen on swapping.

I've seen you set up in under 5 mins Garry, but there's plenty who'd turn an amp swap into an ordeal

Nope, it's free, it just takes time to fill out the forms. Most bands will make very little but if you submit forms outlining where you play and what your set list was you'll get money for playing in a venue (dependent on size, big venue = lots of money, small = not so much) and money for the songs that you play (once they're registered). You'll also get money for airplay (dependant on listener figures, RTE lots of money, phantom not so much). It's impossible to say how much you'll get, I think the biggest cheque I got was about €250 after the release of the coldspoon album & lots of touring, I'd say the Delorentos boys get a lot more with festivals and airplay on major stations. You should also join RAAP which is done based on music performance.

As for the amp thing, I know what you mean, I too would prefered to have used my own but in most cases the gear is better than the gear the band would actually bring (& it's been regularly service). Besides you know what your getting into before you play, it's all in the emails & tech specs.

i know peeps who get regular -ish cheques for thousands. i've never bothered with it personally though. always mean to.

In fairness if you were a stage manager under alot of pressure you might not be too keen on swapping.

I've seen you set up in under 5 mins Garry, but there's plenty who'd turn an amp swap into an ordeal

That's it exactly. 5 minutes is all it takes to change an amp. If I was using someone else's it would take a lot longer. I know my own gear.

I'm sure there's a whole other "discussion" about the merits of stage manager's.

Got into this for free last night. It struck me how few people there were at it compared to the last time I went (2007, I think). To me, the ticket prices seem ludicrous. If the festival is designed with the aim of promoting (allegedly) talented young bands, charging exorbitant prices is a good way of alienating much of their potential audience. Surely an event such as this should be free (or am I being naive?) or at the very most 10 euro for one night and 20 for the weekend. I think the festival is a good initiative but charging these kinds of prices seems really counterproductive, and justifies to some extent reactions like Cormoclash's.

And the name is fucking godawful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back