HWCH 2009 (Who you looking forward to seeing?) (2 Viewers)

I was accosted by two dolly birds on Parnell Square when coming out of Tesco asking me if I wanted to go see a free band in Chapters. I was too laden down with shopping to take them up on the offer.

I heart the monster hero - deadly but empty room

no lady - if you can't say something nice...

last three seconds of heathers - they went on early i presume?

ambience affair - liked it

tallulah does the hullah - probly spelled wrong. in twisted pepper. possibly the best thing i saw. despite the shite sound. i could hear the drums anyway. almost shat myself whenever the bass drum was played.

villagers - really good if a bit ponderous in the middle. very impressed. under the sea rocked.

Where do you think you live? The south side of Chicago? Johannesburg? Where are all the (solidly working class) black kids who should be playing at Ireland's festivals? Have you checked a recent census?
Should all festivals be punk festivals? But only for black punks? Or particularly working class punks?

And the (admittedly very, very poor) name of the festival is obviously meant to indicate that the acts involved are "hard working" rather than "hard, working class". And why would it bother you anyway?

I'm not passionate about HWCH or anything, it is what it is. I wouldn't usually jump in to defend it but this is rank stupidity.

Don't be silly. OF COURSE it's meant to indicate working class. Otherwise, what reason would you have for putting the word 'class' in there. Whoever came up with the name obviously thought they'd exploit people's inability to recognise that the whole thing is set up to make a load of cash for some people.
"Independent Showcase Festival" they say. As soon as I hear those 3 words together the first thing that springs to mind is "A load of music industry wank".
Further proved by their 'industry' presentations and bullshit like that. Looks like they get funding from the Arts Council as well. So basically they're getting money thrown at them to organise a fest for Irish bands where they then proceed to charge people a shit load of money to get into it.
Day pass tickets for Sunday is 21 euro, so I assume weekend passes work out about 50 euros.
20 euro x 100 people per night x 3 nights (I think 100 people is a conservative estimate) = 6000 euro.

This kind of shit is EXACTLY what is wrong with Ireland and the music industry. People getting money thrown at them to organise something they are turning a profit on anyway. It's because of people exploiting other people in manners such as this that everyone is complaining about the economy being fucked. But people seem to think it's okay because it's part of the music business or some shit. That's why venues get away with charging exorbitant prices for hire, why they can just rip people off whenever they want. FUCK IT.

uh, don't suppose X factor and Graham Norton were part of this tonight?

FFS

This kind of shit is EXACTLY what is wrong with Ireland and the music industry. People getting money thrown at them to organise something they are turning a profit on anyway. It's because of people exploiting other people in manners such as this that everyone is complaining about the economy being fucked. But people seem to think it's okay because it's part of the music business or some shit. That's why venues get away with charging exorbitant prices for hire, why they can just rip people off whenever they want. FUCK IT.

Also, if the Arts Council really gave a shit, then instead of throwing money at 'independent' promoters to organise money making gigs in venues where everyone at the top is already making a profit, they would take all that cash and set up a truly independent venue in Dublin that people could use where all the money wouldn't just end up in the hands of venue owners, drinks companies, 'booking agents', etc. Maybe any money made could even be reinvested where it's actually needed then.
That's what the Arts Council is meant to be for, creating a sustainable music and arts scene in the country, instead they just fucking throw money at shit like everyone else in Ireland does.

'Class' is an erogenous word for you, granted.

I see you made no effort to defend your "white kids" statement, which was what I posted about, and which I think betrays a lack of connection with reality when you live in a country with an overwhelmingly white majority. I honestly couldn't care less about the politics of Hard Working Class Heroes.

This comes up every year. Is there a reason it has such a shit name? Cos we're all in agreement about that, it's really, REALLY, embarassingly bad.

can't find any FAQ on their website

Just a quick thing 'cause you're obviously fuckin retarded so I won't waste too much time on you.
Working Class Hero is a song by John Lennon. He was in The Beatles. They were quite famous.
Hard Working Class Heroes is a play on that song title. (BTW John Lennon was no more working class than Cormoclash)
And where's your response to your 'White' accusations Cormo?
And enough of your punk fucking drivel regarding money ending up in the hands of 'companies'. If my choice was to give millions of euros to punks and crusties or give it to Nestle to kill babies I know where I'd fucking send the cheque.
"How's that spelt again Mr Nestle?"

Hai Serpico, thanks for calling me retarded.

I am aware of the very famous John Lennon song, I was kind of hoping that there would be more to it than a pun that barely holds together. Turns out the festival was named by an idiot.

maybe me cos i'm retarded LOL

never get tired of seeing the shank, awesome last night.

not squares on friday were savage.

also saw cities & fionn regan, enjoyable 2 nights of mights. too tired to go again tonight though.

overall the festival seemed a lot busier than last year, Button Factory, Twisted Pepper and ALT all rammed.

I find the name of the festival so bad/patronising I've never had any interest in the festival itself.
How many younger bands these days would be aware of a possible connection to a John Lennon song? What's the Lennon song about? I don't know myself because I don't like the Beatles.

I find the name of the festival so bad/patronising I've never had any interest in the festival itself.
How many younger bands these days would be aware of a possible connection to a John Lennon song? What's the Lennon song about? I don't know myself because I don't like the Beatles.

wasn't he the guy that died the day after darby crash?

ps - 1 down, 3 to go

John Prescott should do a TV show about the class conotations of HWCH.

Didn't John Lennon probably have the most middle class upbringing out of all the Beatles.

Anyway fuck all this class bullshit, leave it to the poxy british media to obsess over that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back