How do you cut Tomatoes in slices all the way? (2 Viewers)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
How do you cut Tomatoes in slices all the way?
I'm always left with about a third slipping all over the place and end up cutting it on the flat, that bugs me.

YR Sauce

oh yes.

also known as Methadone Sauce (according to some Dublin shopkeepers) because of the numbers of skagged out herdinnin addicts demanding the brown sauce as it's all they can taste anymore, so they *drizzle* YR all over whatever they're eating so as to get any type of taste off their scran.

mad wha'?

What do you REALLY know about ketchup?

Found in 97% of American homes, this condiment has come a long way from its origins. Today, one immediately associates the words "ketchup" or "catsup" with the "thick, red sauce made from tomatoes that is eaten on other foods," primarily hamburgers, hot dogs, and french fries. In the northeast of Brazil, it is also eaten with pizza and even popcorn.
But the ketchup we know today is a far cry from the original concept. The word itself is probably derived from the term ke-tsiap, a mixture of pickled fish or fish brine, herbs, and spices, found in China in the 1690s. By the early 1700s, its use had already spread to Malaysia, where British explorers tried and liked it. Along with other commodities, they took ke-tsiap back to Britain with them, where it soon became a British staple, using local ingredients such as the juice of mushrooms or walnuts. "Ketchup" was used as a generic term to describe various sauces that had vinegar as a base and even now, in Britain, "catsup signifies a spicy liquid based on mushrooms, unripe walnuts, or oysters; this catsup functions primarily as a seasoning for cooking."

Until the late 18th century, tomatoes were thought to be poisonous, and then, in the 1790s, a courageous New England cook added tomatoes to the ketchup she was cooking, thus creating the first tomato ketchup. Other ketchup pioneers not only experimented with tomato-based recipes, but also created ketchups of vegetables and fruits such as plums, walnuts, mangoes or mushrooms. Some also tried shaved tree bark, pig parts, or dust-based ketchups. None, however, achieved much popularity.

Then in 1876, Heinz introduced their Tomato Ketchup to the public and a new staple to the American diet was born.

Next week: catsup vs. ketchup

or

ketch·up (kchp, kch-) also catch·up (kchp, kch-) or cat·sup (ktsp, kchp, kch-)
n.
A condiment consisting of a thick, smooth-textured, spicy sauce usually made from tomatoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Probably Malay kicap, fish sauce, possibly from Chinese (Cantonese) k-chap, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) qié, eggplant + Chinese (Mandarin) zh, sap, gravy.]
Word History: The word ketchup exemplifies the types of modifications that can take place in borrowingboth of words and substances. The source of our word ketchup may be the Malay word kchap, possibly taken into Malay from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese. Kchap, like ketchup, was a sauce, but one without tomatoes; rather, it contained fish brine, herbs, and spices. Sailors seem to have brought the sauce to Europe, where it was made with locally available ingredients such as the juice of mushrooms or walnuts. At some unknown point, when the juice of tomatoes was first used, ketchup as we know it was born. But it is important to realize that in the 18th and 19th centuries ketchup was a generic term for sauces whose only common ingredient was vinegar. The word is first recorded in English in 1690 in the form catchup, in 1711 in the form ketchup, and in 1730 in the form catsup. All three spelling variants of this foreign borrowing remain current.

isn't the interweb just fabbillis?

Me? I like Heinz Tomato and HP Curry Sauce.

I'm always left with about a third slipping all over the place and end up cutting it on the flat, that bugs me.

One of these things is designed exactly for cutting tomatoes/mozzarella balls.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unless you're a tomato addict, it would get relegated to the back of the kitchen drawer. I'm always amazed at the one purpose kitchen shite they try to flog in those design-y type shops. Want to buy a hollow silicon tube for €10 that peels your garlic? HOW HARD IS IT TO PEEL GARLIC?

Tomato skin will test even a very sharp knife.
I find that one of those little devil knives with the small black plastic handle and the blade with small serrations is the best tool. (that or a razor sharp carving knife - which few people actually have)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back