Hot Press is a steaming pile of shite. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I'm sure you all knew that already. In a moment of weakness I bought a copy of Hot Press this week. Jesus fucking christ is it such a pile of shite.
Anyway what really annoyed me was thier letter of the week. The one that wins the 20 euro voucher for dolphin discs. I shall quote it in its entirety.

We Irish are a hilarious lot. In this country we beat the shit out of immigrants and rant and rave about them stealing our women, jobs, houses etc. Meanwhile, over in the USA we have a bunch of Irish immigrants slobbering into their green beer about how unfair it is that they won't be allowed to stay in the that country! Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Where do I begin. I suppose the gross generalisation is a good place to start. "In this country we...", not "In this country a certain minority of individuals..." Then the writer equates this violent, xenophobic minority of people on these shores with the 50,000 or so Irish people working their bollix off in the US illegally. Unless Irish US emigrants have managed to perfect the art of bilocation I doubt they're the same people beating up immigrants here or "ranting and raving" about immigration into ireland. And that comment about them "slobbering into their green beer" is just bizarre.

I don't understand what this correspondent is actually complaining about. These are two separate issues. Irish people's tolerance or intolerance of legal immigration and immigrants is one issue which has been and continues to be dealt with at all levels in our society. It is an important issue, perhaps the most important issue for our society in the short or medium term.

The issue of the status of illegal Irish workers in the United States is a completely different one. I know little about the issue but I'm sure some other thumpeders would know people who are in that position and could shed further light on the issue. I know it is an issue for the United States government and that conflating it with the first issue does nobody any good.

The correspondent is entitled to his opinion but I don't know how the guys running Hot Press thought this was a good or great letter, worthy of financial reward. The Hot Press has been shoddy as long as I can recall but it seems to be getting inexplicably worse, with every page like an advertorial for beer, whiskey, sun tan lotion or dildos. They always seem to have had an infantile, contrary attitude, going against the grain for no logical reason and succumbing to "typical Oireland"-type humbuggery at every given opportunity. The above letter is an exemplar of the form and perhaps that's why they liked it so much. Our society had plenty of problems but letters like this smug, ill-informed one do little to solve them. And yes I have nothing more important to be worrying about. Oh yeah The Whole Hog part is still pretty good. Well that's my rant of the day....

Im curious as to why I never see hot press journalisto's defending the mag on topic's such as this. The "hotpress is shit" thing is said a lot on every Irish music forum, and the journalists are at computers all day, and I assume they know how to type......

I've written bits and pieces for Hot Press - gig and cd reviews - but i don't buy it.

Yeah it's poor, but as long as i think my bits are up to scratch, i don't really give a shit.

seanc said:
Im curious as to why I never see hot press journalisto's defending the mag on topic's such as this. The "hotpress is shit" thing is said a lot on every Irish music forum, and the journalists are at computers all day, and I assume they know how to type......

thats a really sound comment. i've met a few HP writers before and when you bang on about how shite their mag is, they just drop their heads, murmer "i know, i know" and sip their beer. for fuck sake, if they know it, why dont they go write for someone else?? its not as if theres not lots of other rags to write for - i mean, look at kevin myers!

inertia, the fact that the irish publishing industry is small, browbeating, great package. etc. The list of possibilities is long.
I know it's the internet, and a degree of simplification is required in order to have a discussion, but c'mon.

Pilchard said:
thats a really sound comment. i've met a few HP writers before and when you bang on about how shite their mag is, they just drop their heads, murmer "i know, i know" and sip their beer. for fuck sake, if they know it, why dont they go write for someone else?? its not as if theres not lots of other rags to write for - i mean, look at kevin myers!
how many non-journalist types like the company they work for? you have to pay the bills..

working for hotpress is a gas. free into all the gigs, free albbums delivered to your door, and all you have to do is say whatever bands mcd have booked for oxygen are all really cool and oh, have you heard saucy monkey? they rawk. . hp ain't a music mag, it's a lifestyle mag. don't confuse the issue here.

oh and people who write into magazines are retards. there's no question about it. it's as lame as posting on the internet all day.

Pilchard said:

dunno where you're getting the 'lots of other rags' from. Aside from Foggy Notions, are there any other alternative music dedicated mags in Ireland? And ones that can afford to pay their contributers?

Fair fucks to Leagues and co for sticking their necks on the line and going for it. But that mag is still run on a seriously tight budget and only keeping a handful of people in fully paid employment.

It would be nice to be idealistic and throw in your job because it's not meeting your required artistic standards, but the world doesn't work like that. It's not like the country is awash with opportunities for music scribes. Sometimes you gotta take what's going, and do your best.

John D'oh said:
dunno where you're getting the 'lots of other rags' from. Aside from Foggy Notions, are there any other alternative music dedicated mags in Ireland? And ones that can afford to pay their contributers?

Fair fucks to Leagues and co for sticking their necks on the line and going for it. But that mag is still run on a seriously tight budget and only keeping a handful of people in fully paid employment.

It would be nice to be idealistic and throw in your job because it's not meeting your required artistic standards, but the world doesn't work like that. It's not like the country is awash with opportunities for music scribes. Sometimes you gotta take what's going, and do your best.
i woulddn't worry about it john d, all these people are changing the face of irish society in their way. you know. by fixing the computers down in accounts and designing banner ads for hair wax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back