Home made rocknrowl... (1 Viewer)

Actually, that's a very good tune and very well recorded. If you want any constructive criticism (and you probably do), I just thought the snare needed a bit more umph in the intro and during the verses. But other than that I thought it was top class.

Originally posted by InsidePoint
Actually, that's a very good tune and very well recorded. If you want any constructive criticism (and you probably do), I just thought the snare needed a bit more umph in the intro and during the verses. But other than that I thought it was top class.

Thanks InsidePoint...you're right, the snare does get lost in places...especially during the loud chorus...unfortunately the drums were all recorded to two stereo tracks using a mixing desk (only two simultaneous inputs on our Fostex recorder), so it was hard to raise the snare during mixing without raising the already cutting cymbals...and indeed constructive critism is very welcome!

I hate offering any kind of arrangement advice, but I'm not crazy about the section from 1:58 - 2:40 (the stop-start bit). I dunno, wish I had something better to suggest, but I think maybe a different kind of change in temp / mood / whatever would be cool. Please don't take offence ; good song.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
I hate offering any kind of arrangement advice, but I'm not crazy about the section from 1:58 - 2:40 (the stop-start bit). I dunno, wish I had something better to suggest, but I think maybe a different kind of change in temp / mood / whatever would be cool. Please don't take offence ; good song.

No offence taken...I actually like that bit myself...There will be a special mixing feature in our Anthology DVD available in 2027 which will allow you to remove that section.
:D

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
How did you record the drums? What did you point where? Don't be afraid of a little detail, either.

For recording the drums we used an average size room (say the size of a sitting room), stuck the drumkit in a corner and tried to minimise the reverb by making a 'wall' consisting of duvets draped across tables and chairs.

We used Shure SM58s on the snare and toms, hung two condenser mics from the ceiling as overheads (borrowed...not sure of manufacturer), and a bass drum mic (different model of Shure, I think). We fed all mics into a small Mackie mixer (1402 VLZ, I think) and fed the L and R output from the mixer into a Fostex VF-08 difital recorder. (16bit, 44,100).

We had to tinker around with the overheads until we were happy...I can't recall what direction they ended up facing. In hindsight we probably had them too close to the cymbals, because that harshness really shows up on some of the other songs we did.

The most important thing I found about recording drums was the size and sound of the Room itself, and the treatment of the room.

interesting. so, i'm assuming it was recorded with something like cubase or pro tools, yeah? again, i liked it a lot - the guitars and bass sound great and it's really well mixed. look forward to hearing the rest.

Originally posted by quackster
interesting. so, i'm assuming it was recorded with something like cubase or pro tools, yeah? again, i liked it a lot - the guitars and bass sound great and it's really well mixed. look forward to hearing the rest.

Yeah, it was done using Cubase. The guitars turned out well considering they were done using a POD 2.0 simulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back