Home improvement (3 Viewers)

Vice questions..

Going to build myself a new/proper workbench in the next while. long overdue.

going to get me a vice.

While most of what I do falls under the general category of woodwork - I'm unsure about getting a woodworking vice.. leaning more towards a smallish bench vice, possibly rotating to allow for the awkward angled cuts I visit upon myself. (would obviously have to make wooden 'gloves' for something like this to prevent it chewing up wood).

welcome the thoughts of the thumped DIY communal mind... @magicbastarder, @ann post, @moose, @ernesto et al..

either way, you'd want one you can replace the metal jaws with wooden ones; or to cover the metal jaws with leather or something similar.

not sure you want to go this route, but my workbench owes a lot to this design (which involves quite a bit of traditional mortice and tenon work); but can be customised easily in terms of the space you have.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Vice questions..

Going to build myself a new/proper workbench in the next while. long overdue.

going to get me a vice.

While most of what I do falls under the general category of woodwork - I'm unsure about getting a woodworking vice.. leaning more towards a smallish bench vice, possibly rotating to allow for the awkward angled cuts I visit upon myself. (would obviously have to make wooden 'gloves' for something like this to prevent it chewing up wood).

welcome the thoughts of the thumped DIY communal mind... @magicbastarder, @ann post, @moose, @ernesto et al..

I'm getting a bench vice very soon aswell for my shitty shed bench.
Let me know if you find anything decently priced

either way, you'd want one you can replace the metal jaws with wooden ones; or to cover the metal jaws with leather or something similar.

not sure you want to go this route, but my workbench owes a lot to this design (which involves quite a bit of traditional mortice and tenon work); but can be customised easily in terms of the space you have.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks - will take a look at that.

will do a lot of consideration of materials, space, design as I figure it out.

I actually have two benches in my shed - one of which is effectively storage, but has a very solid top and can work on/saw off it - the other is by the window and my main bench which needs to be replaced. so I could even have a vice of each type in theory...

I'm getting a bench vice very soon aswell for my shitty shed bench.
Let me know if you find anything decently priced

farnell have some mid-sized /mid-priced Irwin ones that arent too bad looking...(bout half way down)

not sure if they are trade only - used to buy from them in work (previous job)

farnell have some mid-sized /mid-priced Irwin ones that arent too bad looking...(bout half way down)

not sure if they are trade only - used to buy from them in work (previous job)

IMG_1934.jpeg

If that's the actual price plus vat that's a bargain

ah; sound man!
i will give you, in return, a screw equal in weight to the total weight of screws i get from you; that sounds fair?
what's the screw weight:random bits of timber conversation rate? I

Season 4 Dunder Mifflin Infinity GIF by The Office

Users who are viewing this thread

• Deadmanposting
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back