HMV's fucked (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 7
I dunno, I think the increasing prices of vinyl will be its downfall.
I've definitely gone off it....

I've bought a good few things from Tower on line. Mainly because.
They stock CDs and DVDs ect...
They are quick. The post charges are probably less then having to drive 25 miles into town, pay for parking ect.. & I now hate going into the city centre.

Freebird seem to only list vinyl on their website & Spin dizzy have a flat delivery charge of €6, even for 1 CD,.

Last edited:
Now here’s an old man thing to say - but I have a memory that in late 90s/early 00s new vinyl was cheaper than cd? I seem to remember picking up lps for roughly a tenner when cds were on average 15??
I think 1990/1991 Sound Cellar prices would have been £10 for records and £13 for CDs?

I think 1990/1991 Sound Cellar prices would have been £10 for records and £13 for CDs?
£7.99 for imports in the 80s. Basically anything on Music for Nations.

I remember buying a Rogue Male album in the Sound Cellar on Music For Nations, Tommy was like "you know that'll be 7.99?" as if to say "what are you buying this garbage for?".

There are options I guess I saw someone on youtube suggesting recently that there needs to be a new format invented or put on the market without any hint as to what it might be. I suppose streaming is big enough to be detrimental to the sales of any physical media these days the cost of which is going to be subject to the issues within the respective industry but it really might make as much sense to use a dac/streamer as opposed to any other type of player which is actually the newer technology with the greater scope for development. In the end any recording playback it is more or less an imitation of real instrumentation so there is also an argument for live music or indeed play your own.

There are options I guess I saw someone on youtube suggesting recently that there needs to be a new format invented or put on the market without any hint as to what it might be. I suppose streaming is big enough to be detrimental to the sales of any physical media these days the cost of which is going to be subject to the issues within the respective industry but it really might make as much sense to use a dac/streamer as opposed to any other type of player which is actually the newer technology with the greater scope for development. In the end any recording playback it is more or less an imitation of real instrumentation so there is also an argument for live music or indeed play your own.
I often think about how little technology has changed the sounds used to create music compared to what I would have EXPECTED before the millennium.

I thought in the 90's that we were only a decade away from recordings sounding like the band was in the room with you and difference between a studio recording and being at a live gig being all but eliminated.
this doesn't seem to have happened at all.

I also thought that with rapid advances in tech, that sounds with a similar level of leap forward to the invention of amplification and magnetic tape recordings in the 20th century were coming.
but I can't think of anything approaching this level of advance in sound.

of course there is loads of new kit that gives artists a huge amount of options of how to create music but the end results aren't hugely different from before.

I would love to be wrong.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’ll definitely check it out next time I’m in town. I used to work at the Grafton Street one, on and off between 2000 and 2004. The only vinyl we had then was in the dance section downstairs.

I’m just curious to see the pricing on stuff. They always used to be good for bargain movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back