Hellworld Thread (4 Viewers)

There's a lad on twitter I follow who is an ex-comic who says he stopped because of the bad vibes and creepiness of the Irish comedy scene and he was saying that whatever about this particular incident Currie is someone not to generally symapthise with FWIW.

From a poster on another forum

I was there on Saturday night. Will be forthcoming with my bias and say that I love Paul Currie and his act. I've seen him about five times over the last decade.

In this show, Schtoom, he doesn't say a single word during the hour.

The bit with the Palestine flag came towards the end of the show. He pulls out the Ukrainian flag from his prop suit case, to cheers from the audience. And then a Palestinian flag to further cheers. I can't remember what the song being played in the background was but it was something up standing up and not staying silent. He them mimes sitting down in front of the tv clicking through the channels at which the point the music switches off. He then mimed gestures to the effect of 'that's you that is', 'makes you think', and 'mind blown.' I know I don't need to explain how comedy works on this forum but it's clearly a bit about how people will display support through slogans but do nothing and forget about it in their day to day life.

If you've seen him before you'll know he essentially acts a like conductor for the audience, getting us to ooh and aah and applause and whoop and boo.

At the end, he urges everyone into a standing ovation using this tactic. Some people in the front row didn't stand, which is fair enough. He asked them why they didn't, if they didn't enjoy the show. I guess this could be considered goading, but it's what he's been doing all night. For example, pointing at people and miming their blank expressions and folded arms and asking them to smile and laugh. Or it could be genuine ask for feedback, you know like most comics do at the end of a gig in a "did you enjoy the show" sort of way.

Now I didn't hear what was said, obviously the audience isn't miced up. But it was something a long the lines of that they did until he showed the Palestinian flag, or they didn't and especially after he showed the flag.

Paul was a bit confused and rattled by it, as was the audience. He wasn't sure if they were being sarcastic or not so he asked them to explain. Again, I didn't hear the explanation. But it did make him angry.

That's when he told them that if they didn't like they can get the fuck out of his show. And for anyone who didn't like it to also get out. A group of people did.

As they were leaving, Paul said they had no idea what they were on about. Paul grew up in Belfast, he understands terrorism and bombing. He's lived through the troubles. Clear emphasis on 'lived' - if there wasn't a ceasefire, he wouldn't here.

I think one other audience member may have also shouted fuck off. But it definitely wasn't 200 people shouting get out. Or free Palestine. People at the back of the room wouldn't have even known entirely what had happened.

I think the audience was a bit confused, I was on row C (though Downstairs at Soho Is set up like cabaret so it's round tables rather than theatre seating). We weren't sure if it was or wasn't a bit. But when he spoke about NI people cheered for him. When he chanted ceasefire now, some of the audience also did.

Also important to say that he condemn Hamas and say he hates terrorism, all terrorism.

He was angry. Of course his is. He's showing solidarity for Palestinian artists, performers and clowns. That we wouldn't have enjoyed his performance if there wasn't a ceasefire because he literally wouldn't have been here.

Also important to say that not once did he say anything about Jewish people or Israel. All he did was show the Palestine flag, and the Ukrainian flag, to mock people who say they care about a cause but do nothing. To be honest, he was mocking me.

He asked to call it what it was. A genocide.

What's really tedious about this is that it takes a quick look at his Instagram to see where his stance lies. I can't imagine paying upwards of £15 to see anyone without looking them up first, and especially to sit on the front row. But maybe that's just me.

This has nothing to do with Soho. Paul has done this show for the three or four day run without incident.

We left soon after so I didn't stay at the bar at the end, not sure if anything happened there.

I wouldn't usually post here but I think it's so important to actually explain what happened, and the context of the actual joke that caused all this. Rather than people on twitter piling on something they don't know anything about.

It's a pretty wild experience to have been part of an audience that is getting all this attention. Really clear to see how all this hate and misinformation spreads.

Also, it's majestic to see that many of the people who are piling on, and one of the Twitter accounts that first posted about this is, are online Terfs. Tells you everything you need to know really.

Paul Currie is sweet clown and must be protected at all costs.

fairly certain it does. and even though i'm a tree hugger, i see no issue with that. you may as well burn plastic in a way which generates electricity* as going through a complex process of recycling it.

*this presumes the plastic already exists; the main goal should be reducing plastic consumption in the first place.

From what i've heard deposit return scheme plastic by being pre-sorted by default is good for about 4 laps of recycling.

Aluminium (beer cans Ann) cans are on a spectrum of recyclability but mining the stuff takes massive amounts of electricity.

We had it sorted when you left your empty glass outside for the milkman.

all these tories and right wing labour mps crowing about "mp's safety" when they're supporting a genocide. lower than scum.

I resent the loss of the time I had to spend reading about obscure british parliamentary procedure
just to understand what the hell that whole shitstorm was all about. only the brits could manage to come up with a way to turn a genocide into a ritualised fisticuffs about opposition-day motion selection conventions

a documentary that is an israeli-palestinian co-production won one of the main prizes at the berlinale film festival. the two directors got up and said some things that official germany regards as unsayable, indeed unthinkable. the same day, someone posted an anti-genocide post (swiftly deleted) on one of the berlinale’s instagram accounts.

the reporting on it all in german media is like something in pravda in 1970, it’s beyond absurd.

here’s one of the speeches:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

here’s one of the typical reactions, from the berlin city newsletter of the tagesspiegel [see the original here]:

The closing gala of the Berlinale on Saturday evening did a disservice to the image of the cultural sector. Not because of the winning film “Dahomey”, a documentary about the return of African art treasures from Paris to their homeland (although CP colleague Robert Ide is very surprised at what the jury found worthy of the award). But because of the one-sided expressions of solidarity for the Palestinians, which routinely hid the cause of this terrible war and accused Israel of genocide. “Warm applause for a one-sided pro-Palestine show,” writes TSP editor-in-chief Christian Tretbar.

Mayor Kai Wegner (CDU) told TSP colleague Anna Thewalt on Sunday that he expected “measures from the new Berlinale festival management” against Israel hatred. How urgent this is is suggested by potentially criminal “From the river to the sea” posts from the Berlinale Panorama account on Instagram, which were briefly online on Sunday before being deleted. The festival management announced that it would file criminal charges against unknown persons and clarify how the anti-Israel posts came about.

Even though it's a bit of a propaganda vs propaganda situation, it's probably a bit itchy for germans to put themselves in a position where they'd be accused of being anti semitic.

It's a hunch like.

This is quite a long and interesting discussion about how Germany came to be so hardline on Israel

Unfortunately I forget the details already but according to that lady never again holocaust guilt wasn't really a thing in post-WW2 Germany and it only really became a significant part of the national self image after the unification of east and west Germany and a lot of it was driven by various political factions using it as a way to define themselves as distinct from other German political groups to the point that looking at it in terms of the actual holocaust or the Israel/Palestine thing is about as meaningful as drawing dots between books with rainbow pictures and patriotism in Ireland. Or at least that's how I understood it anyway, I think

i was slightly tentative hitting play on this, an american take on israel palestine (and yes, from an american jewish man), but it's better than i feared. little bit of both-sidesing going on, but he does call for a free paliestinian state.

i was slightly tentative hitting play on this, an american take on israel palestine (and yes, from an american jewish man), but it's better than i feared. little bit of both-sidesing going on, but he does call for a free paliestinian state.

it's quite good

watching the follow on discussion now

This is quite a long and interesting discussion about how Germany came to be so hardline on Israel

Unfortunately I forget the details already but according to that lady never again holocaust guilt wasn't really a thing in post-WW2 Germany and it only really became a significant part of the national self image after the unification of east and west Germany and a lot of it was driven by various political factions using it as a way to define themselves as distinct from other German political groups to the point that looking at it in terms of the actual holocaust or the Israel/Palestine thing is about as meaningful as drawing dots between books with rainbow pictures and patriotism in Ireland. Or at least that's how I understood it anyway, I think

yep, it’s almost entirely a post-reunification, liberal, post-material, end-of-history innovation

(if you ever end up talking with a german who is attempting to dispute this, consider asking them why it took until 2004 to build a holocaust memorial in berlin)

and in further updates on the berlinale, the minister of culture is now seriously attempting to avoid resigning over this by using “I was clapping for the israeli but not for the palestinian” as a line of defence... lunatic stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back