Hellworld Thread (4 Viewers)

i was slightly tentative hitting play on this, an american take on israel palestine (and yes, from an american jewish man), but it's better than i feared. little bit of both-sidesing going on, but he does call for a free paliestinian state.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i'm sure it's great but i'll never get past the first instance of audience clapping/hooting over some banal joke

I wouldn't say it's *really* good, but it's probably Americas best chance of nuanced analysis or whatever, as readily accessible to the general public.

Yes the hooting and hollering is annoying, and imagine, they're probably not even drunk.

This is quite a long and interesting discussion about how Germany came to be so hardline on Israel

Unfortunately I forget the details already but according to that lady never again holocaust guilt wasn't really a thing in post-WW2 Germany and it only really became a significant part of the national self image after the unification of east and west Germany and a lot of it was driven by various political factions using it as a way to define themselves as distinct from other German political groups to the point that looking at it in terms of the actual holocaust or the Israel/Palestine thing is about as meaningful as drawing dots between books with rainbow pictures and patriotism in Ireland. Or at least that's how I understood it anyway, I think
Related

What a nightmare.

The average length of stay in direct provision seems to be 24 months. People's situations can't get much easier after that if they are granted asylum either.

Although...

"The Irish Government plans to replace direct provision with a new International Protection Support Service.

Under the plan, applicants for international protection will stay in a ‘reception and integration centre’ for no more than 4 months and all current direct provision centres will close by the end of 2024."

citizens information

People in direct provison are now asking to stay there after the process is finished, because there's nowhere for them and their families to go.
The White paper has gone to crap and it's turned in to a shit show.

Meanwhile I will to try motivate myself to shave before I get my head shaved today.
The drudgery of shaving once or twice a week alone makes blockers a valid option.

Please don't take kids choices away.

I did a huge deep dive on all this around the time of Róisin Murphygate whenever that was.

What medical professionals were saying the 4 countries that had literature publicly is that something in the region of 80% of people who were being prescribed puberty blockers were coming to the conclusion a few years later that they were actually not in need of them essentially and it was more just the general of confusion of puberty - so from a basic stats point of view it's hard for any doctor to write a prescription that is coming up wrong 80% of the time... the model they seemed to option for was to support the young people psychologically across puberty and let them come to a decision about their future in adulthood.

what the medical pros were saying doesn't chime well with the online trends/conversations. The medical pro's also were calling out the effect of social media on decision making - obvs somethign they cant control.

It kinda makes me tired now when i see people on twitter or whatever platform calling out this kinda thing as if it's anti something. It's immediate proof that they are A: not up to speed on where the thing is in the present medical environment and B: happy to continue to create that social media environment that is part of the problem.

I did a huge deep dive on all this around the time of Róisin Murphygate whenever that was.

What medical professionals were saying the 4 countries that had literature publicly is that something in the region of 80% of people who were being prescribed puberty blockers were coming to the conclusion a few years later that they were actually not in need of them essentially and it was more just the general of confusion of puberty - so from a basic stats point of view it's hard for any doctor to write a prescription that is coming up wrong 80% of the time... the model they seemed to option for was to support the young people psychologically across puberty and let them come to a decision about their future in adulthood.

what the medical pros were saying doesn't chime well with the online trends/conversations. The medical pro's also were calling out the effect of social media on decision making - obvs somethign they cant control.

It kinda makes me tired now when i see people on twitter or whatever platform calling out this kinda thing as if it's anti something. It's immediate proof that they are A: not up to speed on where the thing is in the present medical environment and B: happy to continue to create that social media environment that is part of the problem.

Apparently in the UK 83 kids were prescribed these last year.

Whatever the best medical practise it WRT puberty blockers so much discussion is given to a tiny group of people by a wider populace hostile to them existing in public, or at all. Elections will sway over people's disdain for a tiny group.

Case by case?
'What about'
- the people who are happy with their decision?
- those who will denied a choice due to some "general greater good" argument?

I would very possibly have taken blockers knowing what I know now.

I still haven't shaved today... better get a move on - groan.

Whatever the best medical practise it WRT puberty blockers so much discussion is given to a tiny group of people by a wider populace hostile to them existing in public, or at all. Elections will sway over people's disdain for a tiny group.

It's above my station to do anything other than repeat what the medical proffessionals are saying. The online atmosphere is generated by the pro and anti in every situation. People who have no skin in the game are in on the pro/anti on social media to a degree that it's effecting the medical practice side of things. Both 'sides' should just read what is out there and STFU, the social media storm is not helping anyone.

Whatever the best medical practise it WRT puberty blockers so much discussion is given to a tiny group of people by a wider populace hostile to them existing in public, or at all.
I think you have the wrong end of the stick on people's attitudes to this. People have a really really strong inclination to protect children. Gender identity questioning is commonplace among the teens I know atm, and I think people's fear of blockers is more about "what if my child/grandchild/nephew/niece gets put on blockers, and then has to live with the side effects?" than disdain for trans people

I think you have the wrong end of the stick on people's attitudes to this. People have a really really strong inclination to protect children. Gender identity questioning is commonplace among the teens I know atm, and I think people's fear of blockers is more about "what if my child/grandchild/nephew/niece gets put on blockers, and then has to live with the side effects?" than disdain for trans people

I'm not talking about trans kids, I'm talking about trans people in general.

If blockers are SAFE let people have the option.
I am not angry whatsoever talking about this.
This has come up here before. IF blockers are not 'safe' (major side affects) that would be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back