Headz and Cabz (6 Viewers)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
Ohhhh golly.

So, after playing a few gigs through proper head+cabs over the last while, my head has been pretty well turned.
The low end.
Argh.
Used BrianOak's Hiwatt head into a Marshall 1960 cab at one gig.
Nice.
Used one of the Mound's head+cab recently too. (What were they, mounders? stage right at the ballroom..)
Tasty.

I'm thinking I might start out by picking up a head of my own for gigs.
What to look for?
Where to look?
I'm thinking I should drop in to that guitar shop up near Dundalk.
Scour the buy and sell?
Any recommendations for reasonably priced heads (like sub-€800 at most)?

That shop can be pretty hit and miss. Wish they had a website (maybe they do???)

S'what I thought. Pity.

Last time I went up there I was really excited.
Nuttin there. Disappointed.

I've heard rumors of a mysterious "back room".

Used one of the Mound's head+cab recently too. (What were they, mounders? stage right at the ballroom..)

think that was mine. JCM 800 100 watt.

yeah, it's a real pain in the hole actually. a head through a 4x12 sound sooooo good, but its nightmare to cart around. been using anthonys 2x12 marshall cab at a few gigs recently and while its grand, it's not as good as the 4x12. every venue should have a pair of 4x12s. have another wee project starting up and i reckon the biggest i'll go is a fender twin. and i might go smaller if i can.

I've heard rumors of a mysterious "back room".

yeah, every few months he'll ship a container of vintage gear out to the states cause people there spend more money on the old stuff.

I think BrianOak's cab was a 2x12.
I reckon it'd do me.
I hear ya on the transport issue though.
I bought a Blues Jr. thinking it'd be great because I could carry it to gigs + jams.

But then I forgot you have to carry beer too.

Where/when/how on the 800? Did you pick it up 2nd hand?

Where/when/how on the 800? Did you pick it up 2nd hand?

picked up a JCM800 combo amp in onsatge music about 12 years ago for £180. it's the 4103 model. the most basic one. master volume, preamp volume and basic eq. it's from the early 80s. exact same preamp as the 2203 head which is the JCM800 head that was reissued recently and is used by loads of folk.

i didn't like having to drag my amp to rehearsals every week so with help from my pops i build a box for the preamp. then i gt a 4x12. easy.

the reissues are mad pricey. about $1600 i think.

not being spammy but i've a '79 jmp master MKII 100 watt,it's essentially the original jcm 800 in a more vintage style head,anyway i'm not using it if your interested?

beat it is overpriced. you can maybe haggle down to a decent level if you're good at that kinda thing. otherwise keep your eye on adverts.ie/buyandsell/ebay and you'll definitely pick up a quality all-tube head for a decent price.

and if you think you'll never come back from 4x12, try playing a few gigs through two cabs. wowzers.

(ps i thought yiz sounded pretty deadly at that ballroom gig alright)

He's poshed up the gaff by the looks of things...
Is that the same place though?
At the seaside, weird pokey shop next to it selling buckets and spades.
Same shop,he's done it up recently. Stock was poor for a while(understandably)but it's getting better again. I was in it a few weeks ago and he'd dug out a load of old small combos. Real early Marshall and Gibson ones. He said he was getting them fixed up to sell.
A few years back I was looking for a second head and asked him if he had any. He asked me to follow him,so out the back we went and he opened a garage,inside was solid full of amps. He then told me unfortunately he didn't know what ones worked and what needed work. My jaw was on the floor.
He's always good for a haggle. And I still reckon it's the best guitar shop i've been to in ireland,by far.

beat it is overpriced. you can maybe haggle down to a decent level if you're good at that kinda thing. otherwise keep your eye on adverts.ie/buyandsell/ebay and you'll definitely pick up a quality all-tube head for a decent price.

and if you think you'll never come back from 4x12, try playing a few gigs through two cabs. wowzers.

(ps i thought yiz sounded pretty deadly at that ballroom gig alright)

I think two cabs is very overrated,I've never played through two perfectly matched cabs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back