Headline band not providing backline (3 Viewers)

up with it!

no-one in the states shares backline, ever! s'why the bands are always, technically, better

I agree

but if sharing backline is expected, i.e., the headline band doesn't have a backline, and then the support band is expected to supply one for the headliner to use, then what say you?

up with it!

no-one in the states shares backline, ever! s'why the bands are always, technically, better

shurely technical proficiency comes through the playing of your instrument, not the backline?
They are better because they are spoilt little bollixes mostly.

shurely technical proficiency comes through the playing of your instrument, not the backline?
They are better because they are spoilt little bollixes mostly.

the best form or practice, by far, is playing live. it makes you raise your game, it does me anyway. so if you're using your own gear you've no excuses that someone's shitty guitar amp is the reason why you might be shit, you were shit because you weren't going for it.

it's also a really important comfort thing. if you have your own gear onstage, you should be happy enough with how it sounds/plays so you can just get on with enjoying playing.

i remember being appalled the first time we shared the states that no-one shared gear, you'd see 3 or 4 fully assembled drum kits off stage, ready for each band, but the difference it makes is pretty massive. not just for bands skillz, but moreso for the overall sound.
band has it's own gear, knows how it's meant to sound, gives an engineer less room to cock it up

however, a headline band not bringing gear and expecting the support to supply it without asking, that's a whole load of bollox

i find having 3 backlines for a 3 band gig (not talking huge stadium/arena/music hall gigs) is a pain in the ass for everyone, especially sound guys. different guitar amps i can understand, but drummers and bassists should just use the headliners kit (with their own cymbals/snare/kick pedal) and bass rig and be done with it.

support bands having to provide the headliners with the backline is 100% not on.

if you have your own gear onstage, you should be happy enough with how it sounds/plays so you can just get on with enjoying playing.

i recently saw a soundman change the tone/settings on a guy two and a half grand amp during sound cehck cos the soundman didnt' like how it sounded

my mind boggled. if you go to the bother of spending that much on an amp, at least have a clue about how you like to sound

i find having 3 backlines for a 3 band gig (not talking huge stadium/arena/music hall gigs) is a pain in the ass for everyone, especially sound guys.

i used to think that, but not anymore. decent sound guy should have no problem with it at all. mark your board, remember the placements, changeover should take no more than 5 minutes, which is less time than i've spent poking at buttons on someone elses amp wondering what they do

i used to think that, but not anymore. decent sound guy should have no problem with it at all. mark your board, remember the placements, changeover should take no more than 5 minutes, which is less time than i've spent poking at buttons on someone elses amp wondering what they do
the key here is "decent sound guy"...i'm talking more about smaller clubs where the sound guy is just one of the bar staff who "digs music". plus, usually the stage and surrounding area is too small to fit every bands gear.

I love not bringing equipment to a gig. Very rarely happens, but it's nice when it does

Yes, you're in the unfortunate position of being one of the few bass players who actually owns a bass amp! :)

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular here - just saying that, especially with DIY gigs, it's either the promoter's or main band's responsibility to sort backline out and, if they can't, at least ask the supporting band(s) nicely, and well in advance, if the supporting bands can supply this or that.

We suppoerted some band a few months ago who insisted on us (support band) going on AFTER them (headline band) in the headlining slot.

I wish i knew why that happened.
better crowd during the support slot? when did they decide they wanted this arrangement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back