HAMELL ON TRIAL | exclusive Irish gig (1 Viewer)

Cyprus Avenue

Website
www.cyprusavenue.ie
HAMELL ON TRIAL
Cyprus Avenue, Cork
Mon 25th Feb

Tickets: €15 on sale now from www.cyprusavenue.ie & PLUGD Records

www.myspace.com/hamellsramble

Ani Difranco and the people who brought you Bill Hicks present
Hamell On Trial

The Terrorism Of Everyday Life

One-man band meets one-man show:

Ed Hamell’s Edinburgh appearance marks his first UK residency, as he takes a rare break from touring American comedy clubs and music gigs. Under the moniker Hamell On Trial, Ed has already attracted the attention of the British music press through his albums winning such plaudits as five-star review in Uncut. Now he’s honed a show that mixes his angry, political music with stand-up comedy.

“Hamell is Bill Hicks, Hunter S. Thompson and Joe Strummer all rolled into one sweaty, snarling, pugnacious pit bull of a man. And he’s scabrously, filthily, twistedly funny.” Philadelphia Weekly
This new show looks at Hamell’s take on terrorism in the widest sense of the word through exploring his life, ranging from memories of road trips with his father, through recollections of the bizarre jobs he held down before his performing career took off, to his recent experience of becoming a parent himself. (But don’t worry, he’s not gone soft – his last album was Songs For Parents Who Enjoy Drugs.)

Genius is a rare commodity - but here it is in a one-man folk-punk band.” New York Post
The Hamell On Trial concept was born from an invitation for Ed to perform at a benefit. With no band to accompany him, he borrowed an acoustic guitar, came up with the name, and delivered a stunning performance inspired by the characters he’d encountered working in a New York bar. That material was the foundation of his album Choochtown, which he recorded for $250 – an investment that paid dividends for the worldwide exposure it brought. A major European tour to build on that interest had to be cancelled when a car accident saw him confined to hospital for nine months. He’s been back on the road for a few years and is now making up for lost time with a 2 week run at the Edinburgh festival last year and a 10 night stand at London's Soho Theatre

“The crowd laughed, gasped, and reveled at the insights of the father with an axe to grind, story to tell, guitar to play. Hamell put on a heck of a trial, loaded with complexity, pathos, anger, unsavoury details, righteousness and truths beyond the facts.” Anchorage Daily News

Fantastic, this should be a great gig .|..|

I was actually just listening to Tough Love about 10 minutes ago wondering when he'd be coming back over here...

An email from his mailing list this morning.

I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE IN TOO LONG, I'M LOOKING VERY MUCH FORWARD TO COMING. I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT!!

LONDON SOHO THEATRE
FEB 12-16, 18-23
9:30

BOG LANE THEATRE
SUNDAY FEB 24
BALLYMAHON, CO, LONGFORD
IRELAND
8:15

CYPRESS AVENUE
MONDAY FEB 25
CAROLINE STREET
CORK
IRELAND

WHELANS
WEDNESDAY FEB 27
25 WEXFORD STREET
DUBLIN
BOX OFFICE 1890 200 078
http://www.whelanslive.com

The Cork gig was fantastic alright a great mix of his theatre show and his old classics, he really is one of my favourite live performers ever .|..|

I must say that it was the second time i was in Cyprus Avenue and I still can never find the fucking place.......... even when I'm in pub its above :p

Doors 8pm i think
should be on stage 9.30ish

Brilliant the other night in Cork

(and yes i do realise the thread title is incorrect. Was supposed to be just one gig, but there was so much demand for him around the country he added extra dates)

He didn't disappoint here either.
Just a great showman.

was at cork... loved it so much! change of direction suits him... funny stuff had me doubled over... i had to leave the room for a min! loved it & such a nice guy!

Playing an Irish tour again.
Get yissir holes in gear.

http://www.hamellontrial.com/tour.htm

Friday, August 22, 2008 Kilkenny, Ireland

Sunday, August 17, 2008 WHELANs 25 Wexford Street, Dublin 2, Ireland +353 (0) 1 4780766

Saturday, August 16, 2008 BOG LANE THEATRE Edgeworthstown Road, County Longford, Ballymahon, Ireland

Friday, August 15, 2008 CYPRUS AVENUE Caroline Street, Cork, Ireland

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 THE SPIRIT STORE Georges Quay, Dundalk, Co. Louth +353-42-9352697 www.spiritstore.ie

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8pm ROISIN DUBH Dominick Street, Galway, Ireland +353 91 586540 www.roisindubh.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back