Hallelujah (1 Viewer)

jack lukeman does a pretty handy version of it too
i like when he sings the high parts there's still a bit of meat on his voice

Leonard Cohen. In my opinion, the majesty of that man's delivery in singing his own words can't be beaten.

Going to college turned me off Jeff Buckley, possibly for life. "Discovering" Grace and playing it non fucking stop was a course requirement in Arts, I think.

"Discovering" Grace and playing it non fucking stop was a course requirement in Arts, I think.

I think it was on the Film & Broadcasting syllabus too.

Maybe, as a mark of respect to that beautiful, saccharine-voiced man, we should fuck every existing copy of Grace into the Mississippi.

Jeff-Buckley-Grace-321804.jpg

KBYE.

Jeff Buckley, along with Damien Rice, have unfairly stamped their indellible impression onto all my romantic memories for the last 5 years. Damn them both for that.

I saw him do it live before (or possibly live footage) and it was impeccable, and I'm very sensitive to bum notes. I'm also very sensitive to criticism of our Roofy and I won't hear a word said against him.

Oh Lenny. What a king amongst singers. What an anomaly. He can't 'sing' to save his life but I couldn't ever subscribe to the notion that he can't sing his own songs. He makes my cockles all warm.

That said, I think Jeff Buckley's version is great.
For some reason, I can't even hear John cale's version in my head now.

Good thread Wheeliebin

Easy lady, I got no beef with Rufus!

Sony are to be blamed for the overexposure of buckley. They signed him to a 5 album deal but got only 1 and a half out of him before he went swimming; they also got all the rights to his recordings too, and naturally have been churning out as many collections/anthologies/box sets as they can to get their money's worth. Shame really; but not that surprising.

I met his ma. She's bonkers. Interesting trivia: Buckley 3 'funerals'. As well as his own friends and family ceremony, both MTV and Sony pushed for permission to do it themslves and refiused by his ma they both televised Buckley memorial services within 3 days of each other.

Mystery white boy (Live album) ans Postcards for my sweetheart the drunk (unfinished)are two pretty interesting albums before sony got all crazy and ruined everything.

He does a great version of Kangaroo on Mystery white boy.

Anyone going to Came So Far for Beauty - an Evening of Leonard Cohen Songs?

Pro - Benefit for poor, wonderful Lenny. Nick Cave, Laurie Anderson, Jarvis, The Handsome Family, Antony (& the Johnsons) Hegarty.

Con - The Point Depot, Gavin Friday, only €70 tickets left.

Bucklor. Cale in 2nd. Rufus does a nice version, but it's hardly shatteringly good. Buckley's version makes me want to cry, but the Cohen version leaves me cold. people need to stop covering it though. there should be an embargo on it now. it's a beautiful song that will lose all meaning once some asshole decides to sing it at Youre A Star or for an xmas number one or something equally retarded.

Pro - Benefit for poor, wonderful Lenny. Nick Cave, Laurie Anderson, Jarvis, The Handsome Family, Antony (& the Johnsons) Hegarty.

thought about it, but for 70 euro? nay. thinking about it, Cohen's later stuff is difficult to listen to. It has zero emotion and, ironically, is terribly dated compared to is early stuff.

and the Point/Gavin Friday/the rest...

I did considered it though.

I would, if not for financial shortages. Then again, I'm getting a weekend job working for The Man so it might be possible. I dind't even know good old Anto was singing at it.

thinking about it, Cohen's later stuff is difficult to listen to. It has zero emotion and, ironically, is terribly dated compared to is early stuff.

I don't think he ever re-reached the heights of Famous Blue Raincoat, Chelsea Hotel etc. Possibly my two favourite tracks to listen to on vinyl.

I don't think he ever re-reached the heights of Famous Blue Raincoat, Chelsea Hotel etc. Possibly my two favourite tracks to listen to on vinyl.

Either through coincidence or maybe he's reading this one, of my work mates just played Suzanna and her Magic Orchestra's version. It didn't add anything and probably shouldn't have been recorded.

thought about it, but for 70 euro? nay. thinking about it, Cohen's later stuff is difficult to listen to. It has zero emotion and, ironically, is terribly dated compared to is early stuff.

and the Point/Gavin Friday/the rest...

I did considered it though.

In fairness, Ten New Songs is a fantastic album. The arrangements/ programming are fairly bland and irksome but the singing and lyrics are just deadly.

Can't wait for the tribute night. Mary Margaret O'Hara like!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back