Guitars and airplanes (1 Viewer)

Aer Lingus tend to be ok about it...ive never been charged. although there are a few things changing..so that might be different.

i have brought a guitar on board with me, and put it in the overhead luggage at its been fine.
i've also put it in the hold (and once when instead of returning with me to dublin it went to london. Got it back the next day in perfect nick. but that was a once off)
you're covered if the worst happens. either way it should be ok.
if it goes in the hold it will be part of your luggage allowance, so depending on what else you bring it shouldn't be too expensive (unless its a low cost airline). you'll need a sturdy hardcase though, it could be under twenty bags of underpants. (do you have one? i could lend ou one if you need it)
if you decide to bring it on board its best to have it in a soft case and put it in the O/H locker, if it doesn't fit in there, they won't let you take it on.

If you want to take it onboard don't ask them about it when you are checking in your luggage because they will invariably say 'YOu can't bring that on the plane'. Just carry it to the gate.

Tombo said:
If you want to take it onboard don't ask them about it when you are checking in your luggage because they will invariably say 'YOu can't bring that on the plane'. Just carry it to the gate.

I asked at the check-in desk before and the attendant told me I'd have to wait and see at the gate. I brought the guitar (in a big Fender hardcase) to the gate and had to wait until everyone boarded so they could see if they had any room in the closets at the front of the plane (it was never gonna fit in the overhead lockers). It was very unsure though.

If you're putting your guitar in the hold you're going to need a lot more than a hard case. You'll need a flight case. Your guitar will be fucked around the gaff.

I'd ring the airline beforehand and do your best to arrange to take it on the flight with you. Then look teary-eyed at the gate so they'll let you take it on. Pretend you're an 'artiste'. Worth a shot.

I rang ahead before and they told me I'd have to pay for an extra seat for the guitar! Fekkers. It's dodgy cause if you want it to fit in the overheads you can only really bring a soft case. Then if they still insist that your guitar is going in the hold you are proper fcuked. Depends on the value of the guitar I suppose and if you can afford to take a chance. I brought a crappy acoustic to the states and back in the hold in a gig bag and it was fine! I think that is the exception more than the rule though.

By the by, make sure that you slacken the strings before it goes in the plane. Can do serious damage to the instrument otherwise.

I've never had a problem checking it in. Just make sure you have a decent hardcase. Normally they put a big red sticker saying fragile on it - not sure if it makes a difference to the handlers but mine is still in perfect playing order after a lot of travelling around with it

i've taken my guitar on flights a few times before, put it in the hold with a regular hardcase and a few towels, de-tuned all the strings and its been fine... i mean, if you have a hardcase that keeps the guitar in a stable position inside theres not too much to worry about.

One of my friends going to the US wouldn't let them put it in the luggage compartment underneath possible because he's mad or because it cost over €2,000 but anyway he ended up sitting during the whole flight with it between his legs, luckily he was in a window seat!

in my experience you can do one of two things,
A, bring it in a soft case and try to cajole/charm the check in pple to let you carry it on,this will result in the departure gate scenario as mentioned above.usually not a problem if the flight is not sold out.

B, use a hard case,check it in, and go to the outsize luggage place where they load it seperately to the regular bags,at this point start praying they remember to load it on your flight,in my experience you have only a 50/50 chance of getting yr guitar off your flight and will have to go back to your arrival airport the next day!incompetent minimum wage are rianta employees are the usual culprits in this chain of events.

if you are checking in a hard case remember to only 3/4 put it on the conveyor or slightly support its weight in order to save on yr baggage allowance.

tommytrousers said:
in my experience you have only a 50/50 chance of getting yr guitar off your flight and will have to go back to your arrival airport the next day!incompetent minimum wage are rianta employees are the usual culprits in this chain of events.
What part did Aer Rianta play in processing your baggage? Its the airline's responsibility.

and what if he had to go to the jacks? or use the tray thing? in a situation like that, fuck the window sit at least i'd have more room in the aisle seat

therecklessone said:
What part did Aer Rianta play in processing your baggage? Its the airline's responsibility.
my mistake, it was probably servisair.is that the name of the company? the oversize/fragile luggage place is shared by all airlines,you check in as normal then wander the airport looking for the place,the guitar going missing malarkey has happenend to me twice actually.Not fun and very hard on the oul nerves!

ms.b.haven said:
and what if he had to go to the jacks? or use the tray thing? in a situation like that, fuck the window sit at least i'd have more room in the aisle seat

Tis true, but thats the risk you have to take!! If you end up at the end with moist pants, smelling of poo and rubber gravy and plastic potatoes all over you at least you'll be happy in the fact that you know that your guitar is safe and sound, and that you've disgusted a few people!!!

They wouldn't let a friend of mine, Leon,

2960_001_thumb.jpg

and his young friend onto a plane with his guitar case.

sparse said:
Thanks for the help everyone. But one question remains, If I get caught and they make me pay (I'm taking two guitars) How much am I likely to pay?
If you're over the limit you'll pay, I think it somethink ridiculous like 7euro per kilo,well thats ryanair anyway! A guitar weighs probably about 15-25, so...a lot!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back