• Rockin' in the Free World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Home

• Drive Back

• Total voters
maybe it's The Whizzer.... :)

Various vintage Fender Deluxe amplifiers – Neil's preferred amplifier for electric guitar is the diminutive Fender Deluxe, specifically a Tweed-era model from 1959. Neil purchased his first vintage Deluxe in 1967 for $50 from the drummer of Crazy Horse, Ralph Molina, and has since acquired nearly 450 different examples, all from the same era, but he maintains that it's the original model that sounds superior, and is a crucial component to his trademark sound. A notable and unique accessory to Young's Deluxe is the Whizzer, a device created specifically for Young, which physically changes the amplifier's settings to pre-set combinations. It has gone through many incarnations, and now includes effects pedals hardwired into its circuitry.

maybe it's The Whizzer.... :)

Various vintage Fender Deluxe amplifiers – Neil's preferred amplifier for electric guitar is the diminutive Fender Deluxe, specifically a Tweed-era model from 1959. Neil purchased his first vintage Deluxe in 1967 for $50 from the drummer of Crazy Horse, Ralph Molina, and has since acquired nearly 450 different examples, all from the same era, but he maintains that it's the original model that sounds superior, and is a crucial component to his trademark sound. A notable and unique accessory to Young's Deluxe is the Whizzer, a device created specifically for Young, which physically changes the amplifier's settings to pre-set combinations. It has gone through many incarnations, and now includes effects pedals hardwired into its circuitry.

Cool!
(Link is wrong buh)

On a Fender Deluxe, there's tone and two volumes. The volume on the channel you're not using will affect the volume of the channel you are using, even when you're not plugged into it, because of the drain on the power amp. Having the ability to bring up the channel I'm not even using---so the overload thing comes on---or to change the treble here and there---those are the things I couldn't have done without this technology. Technology hasn't affected the sound, only the control of the sound.

Thats mad. I never knew the second volume would do that. Must give that a lash.

my favorite thing about his soloing is that its so melodic, every note sounds carefully chosen on account of its place within the melody rather than because its the next note in the scale, apart from the noisy screeching. the same can be heard in his harmonica playing - its very tuneful, not just mindless widdling like bob dylan and don baker play.

I'm a bit late on this thread but have to say 1) second the motion that "On the Beach" should be on the list as its up their with Cortez. And 2) How can "Cinamon Girl" be on the list? its a one note solo, quite impressive against 4 chords but still doesn't compare to his other solos like on Cortez or "Down By River".
ps. saw him in Slane way back in 93 I think it was, didn't know him at the time. A friend recommended I should go so I did, and he rocked, with the loudest guitar I've ever heard at an outdoors gig.
Damn he's great.

Cortez the Killer and Down by the River, best out of the above. And Cinnamon Girl has a great groove as well for the "I know it's a one note solo and don't care cause it rocks!" reason.

Can't wait for the 29th June! Tickets on sale this monday at bout 80 your-ohs plus FAT!

I really want to get the sound he has on The Loner, great song altogether!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back