Guess Wha? HWCH time again. (2 Viewers)

'ties to old industry elite' is an admission that the industry still exists by the by. about half those artists could be looked at that way, but in the same breath, i'm sure andy irvine has been described as 'past his sell by date' a few times already, only to just continue doing his own thing well.

Andy Irvine does not pack big venues unless he is playing with Planxty/Paul Brady/somesuch. The ties to old industry elite just exemplifies that not only do the few remaining 'tastemakers' have no imagination, they also have no will to source new raw talent. What's left of the industry is on its last legs. Your list only serves to prove that.

Large Mound applied for this once. Can't remember what year. Anyway we got refused. Not relevant or something.

Hugh got feedback. 'Thin sounding' was what they said. Swore I'd never play it but I'm doing it with Simon this year.

Forget about becoming a rock star

who's talking about rock stars? i'm talking about working full time in the music industry as a musician who plays stuff and people give you money for it. RE: that list, when you get up close and realise just how DIY some of those people are operating, its actually pretty inspirational. granted about 1/2 came from the indie label era, but its the interest of a musician to use what ever mechanisms exist in thier time of existence to achieve what they want, be it getting a job to facilitate or getting a job in a label making radio music or getting a job in an x factor as an invisible guitarist. personally among other jobs periodically i teach kids music and that funds my original oddball music and thats how its been for seven years, which is exactly what you are talking about. if i could bolster that witha bit of radio play and a few larger shows to prolong how long i can do this and how much time i can invest, then i'm fucking doing it, indie curators or not.

i'll try an anology, wont be as good as your cats one though - the internet, original, interesting indeptendently operating artists are the foot-soldiers who are sent to run to the hilltops and light the fires to warn of the oncoming changes, but here in the moment where we are all lighting these fires of the hillltops and thinking its sooo cool that the hills are alight across the land, the industry of old have been in the dark of the villiages below, fucking our husbands and wives and robbing our kids. the industry is darker and more consolidated for that reason, and as long as indie is content to sit on the hilltops and stare into each others fire, they will continue to fuck our husbands and wives and rob our kids. eventually someone has to acknowledge this and go back and win the villiage back, rather than trying to burn the villiage with your husband and wife and kids all still in it. all that changed in the past ten years is we all know we all exist and the labels tightened the screws.

Your list only serves to prove that.

my list was to prove an industry exists. it wasn't to entertain any level of personal taste or whatever.

It's nothing to do with personal taste. Your list contained groups well known now, because they were famous 10/20 years ago or those riding on the coattails of such bands or artists who had made their names abroad. It doesn't speak of a functioning industry that will continue to make money off putting on and promoting music.

well shit, when i think about it, there hasn't been one single advertising sponsored festival in ireland all year with a few people who are on the tv and radio headlining and a pile irish indie internet folks supporting. Not even like on a small local scale, nothing. not one fucking show.

i'll try an anology, wont be as good as your cats one though - the internet, original, interesting indeptendently operating artists are the foot-soldiers who are sent to run to the hilltops and light the fires to warn of the oncoming changes, but here in the moment where we are all lighting these fires of the hillltops and thinking its sooo cool that the hills are alight across the land, the industry of old have been in the dark of the villiages below, fucking our husbands and wives and robbing our kids. the industry is darker and more consolidated for that reason, and as long as indie is content to sit on the hilltops and stare into each others fire, they will continue to fuck our husbands and wives and rob our kids. eventually someone has to acknowledge this and go back and win the villiage back, rather than trying to burn the villiage with your husband and wife and kids all still in it. all that changed in the past ten years is we all know we all exist and the labels tightened the screws.

my list was to prove an industry exists. it wasn't to entertain any level of personal taste or whatever.

See I don't believe that the indie scene are exactly hiding from the industry or just celebrating it's demise. I would be more than happy to take money from anyone who offered me any. I am that broke and that desperate. I don't have any highfalutin ideals when it comes to money and art. So long as the artist remains in control of the art and the sponsor remains just that, and doesn't kill babies for money then really I don't care. Bands used to be discovered by the larger labels, they sought them out. Take The Stooges or Captain Beefheart for example. In the 1980/90s ther was say REM and Sonic Youth that went the indie to mainstream route. There is a little chance internationally but no way in hell that any of those bands above could get on the radio or signed to a label today in Ireland. None. Now my problem is that this is a real loss to everyone involved in music. Bands aren't as willing to chase the industry to get signed etc and why would they be ? especially when DIY exists asn is to an extent a real badge of honour. The Industry isn't doing it's job properly either because it isn't looking for the new and the willfully different. This is a huge loss to everybody with ears. I first heard Nirvana on the radio and on the television when I was 10 and it sure as fuck had an effect on me. See as the industry marginalises the weird further and further to the hills as you say it's to it's own detriment. The pool of talent that exists for it work from becomes smaller and smaller. I mean you just have to look at any radio playlist from the 80/90s and compare it to today to see that what the mainstream now consists of is an inbred village of self referentia derivitive slush. in the 80s it might have been common to follow Prince with Talking Heads then Tom Petty and Aerosmith now it's Rhianna, Katey Perry, and some shit about how big a lads dick is and how to get to the fucking motel room or Snoop Doggs latest incarnation as a copy of fucking scooter or whatever he's doing now and they all same more or less the same. This is the future of the mainstream and there is no reason for anyone who likes music at all to listen to it. Take Gotye for example it was huge simply because it was different. But the ability to market different is gone. The mainstream works well when it works in two ways 1. it produces it's own sound and has creative people doing this say Madonna, Prince, Timbaland, Dr Dre etc. and 2. When it adopts weird shit from lets say the minor leagues. REM, Talking Heads etc. When you know this is really working is when the two start refering directly to each other. Say Sonic Youth covering Madonna or Madonna getting William Orbit to produce her records or Aphex Twin to remix them. When this happens you're in a fucking golden age because the kids are perhaps having there eyes open to the existence of things that they wouldn't have heard before. The internet doesn't do this because if you like something you can hear 50 versions of that same thing and never really need to grow into anything else. This for example explains why half the bands in Dublin love surf pop without ever having been to a fucking beach let alone surfed. Right now the problem is that the minor leagues are flourishing but the mainstream is dying because they are too fucking lazy to realise what's out there or how to deal with it. For me HWCH plays into this by presenting an industry festival that targets the industry. It says "here's stuff you might like" in the same way that the internet does rather than saying here's "what's happening make of it what you will". Curatorship will destroy the indie scene just as the small minded, kid gloves, "all people are simpletons" approach towards it's audience has if not killed, mortally wounded the mainstream. And it will only get worse, as the weird gets pushed more towards the hills the town gets more and more inbred. I mean seriously pop music now sounds to me like it was produced by the aforementioned Scooter. The greatest pop producers have always had some crazy records in there bag, I mean, I heard somewhere that Miles Davis loved Janet Jackson and the reverse is probably true too. In 10 years time you could literally have a mainstream which has litterally remained unchanged for 20 years because no one in the mainstream wants or is capable of rocking the boat. That is fucking frightening.

And as for the rock star part that was aimed at the kids remember, and if you're telling me that you wanted to be "making a living and perhaps playing 5th on a bill at a festival and maybe having enough money for smokes and petrol" when you were 14 you're taking the piss.

So in a few years kids won't even have the hope of becoming a rock star and escaping from the hum drum 9-5 life. That's kind of tragic.

Metal Ireland just complains because no one acknowledges metal in Ireland anyway, I think it's one of the general themes there.

I don't think that's what he was getting at ...

No ... You know the way whenever there is an exceptionally dumb thread on MI, someone posts a link to it from here ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back