Guess Wha? HWCH time again. (4 Viewers)

As far as I know most of the bands actually have to pay to play. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I've never applied or played so I could be.

You don't have to pay. There's a tenner application fee but I think you get that back if you're not accepted.

It's a bit of a lottery as to what kind of experience a band has - you could end up as filler in a poor venue, or with quite a good slot in a nice venue. I think it's best to think of it as just another gig, albeit with some nice gear and on a larger stage. I've never taken part in the industry sessions and I don't really see the point.

You don't have to pay. There's a tenner application fee but I think you get that back if you're not accepted.

It's a bit of a lottery as to what kind of experience a band has - you could end up as filler in a poor venue, or with quite a good slot in a nice venue. I think it's best to think of it as just another gig, albeit with some nice gear and on a larger stage. I've never taken part in the industry sessions and I don't really see the point.

popical island could probably give some of the industry sessions..
what sort of advances are you guys paying these days?

Ah, I thought the fee was higher. Was it higher in the past? Still paying (not much) to play though.

Ask @Scientician 0.8. He's been farting through silk for the last year.

And yeah, I think it might have been higher in the past. It should be free, really.

I've made literally €100s off my association with Popical Island so maybe I could chair the "How to make literally €100s off bocketty pop" round-table.

Is it in any way possible that this is just a music festival featuring lots of local bands?

Is there any substance to those claims of sinister motives?

Because on the face of it, a festival featuring bands of this kind, is a good idea IMO

I never understand why people get so angry about this thing. I've not applied, I've applied and been rejected and I've applied and played.

It's just a gig. Bands play gigs. Some are better than others.

I never understand why people get so angry about this thing. I've not applied, I've applied and been rejected and I've applied and played.

a sensible voice of reason threatening to derail our Friday night witch hunt!

It's sold as something more than just a gig though isn't it? It's a SHOWCASE! I'm curious though and would like to hear if bands have benefited from playing it or even just attending it with regard to exposure, making contacts, gaining expertise and all that jazz.

It's sold as something more than just a gig though isn't it? It's a SHOWCASE! I'm curious though and would like to hear if bands have benefited from playing it or even just attending it with regard to exposure, making contacts, gaining expertise and all that jazz.

Well it is a showcase. And industry showcases are generally shit to play. It's not something FMC invented. Bands know that and it's your own choice, you don't have to apply.

Having said that, I enjoyed buzzing around at HWCH and bumping into people in town and all the rest.

I'd say plenty of bands have benefited from playing it as much as they benefit from any gig they ever play.

Firstly, they ask for channel lists etc and expect professionalism and all that jazz ( like festivals do ) and for a lot of bands it's probably their first experience of that.

I don't know what the talks and "industry" stuff is like, I never went.

International bookers go to it too. FMC are a whole other subject, but they are involved in sending bands to CMJ, Popkomm, and other malarky like that and they like you to do HWCH.

Not that I have dealings with FMC. But I know people do. And I think there are benefits.

Whats FMC?nevermind

Actually..I don't care...I'm needed in the juggalo thread

Well it is a showcase. And industry showcases are generally shit to play. It's not something FMC invented. Bands know that and it's your own choice, you don't have to apply.

Having said that, I enjoyed buzzing around at HWCH and bumping into people in town and all the rest.

I'd say plenty of bands have benefited from playing it as much as they benefit from any gig they ever play.

Firstly, they ask for channel lists etc and expect professionalism and all that jazz ( like festivals do ) and for a lot of bands it's probably their first experience of that.

I don't know what the talks and "industry" stuff is like, I never went.

International bookers go to it too. FMC are a whole other subject, but they are involved in sending bands to CMJ, Popkomm, and other malarky like that and they like you to do HWCH.

Not that I have dealings with FMC. But I know people do. And I think there are benefits.
I've never seen so much meh in one post.

Can we lock this thread no one cares and no one should care ever. It's all meh. The line up is meh, the concept is meh, I'm sure the people are meh. The venues are okay but I bet the soundmen are all meh personified.

Like band - see band, everything else is pointlessness at this point. There is no industry, there's no money, there's very few opertunities for bands to do anything unless it's completely DIY.

I would like to see all the DIY bands in dublin throw in the fee to be considered for HWCH per man (so say it's € 25 at average 4 members per band and 100 bands playing that's €10,000 to hire venues publicity etc) and organise a festival where there own bands played and there was no fannying about expecting David Geffen or whoever the fuck is in charge of the "the industry" now to show up.

Call it Meh fest. Spend the money hiring Joanna Newsome to headline.

I know of one band who played this and were contacted by one of the UK majors on the Monday morning after the gig so I guess it is useful if your aim is to get noticed by A&R guys who are too lazy to do the real legwork. That was a few years ago though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back