Great Drum Sound Thread (2 Viewers)

afaia? (as far as im aware) it b party was done with with just a normal mike set-up. no eq on the way in. maybe 1 mike was put thru a dat but im not sure . and then used beat detcective on the drums to tighten em up. he can defos play that fast tho. maybe not then but defos can now.

oh yeah and v.important tuned tuned and tuned

Forgot to mention:
Phoinix - United
Absolutely! love that flat, thick and dry sound.

also..
Jeff Buckley's Grace..clean, spritely and big sounding.

most Sugar and Fugazi stuff for that direct powerful sound.

M83...I reckon they used v-drums but the sound worked for the music, even if the cymbals sounded horrible.

Wasn't the Race For The Prize drum track (Flaming Lips, opening to The Soft Bulletin) just a recording bounced onto a dat and then played back and re-recorded? This may be completely untrue, I heard it from a man down the pub.

Apologies if any of these have been mentioned before:

Dave Brubeck--Take Five
Led Zeppelin --3&4
The Velvet Underground--Venus in Furs
Billy Cobham--Stratus (Lifted for Massive Attack's "Safe from Harm")
The Beatles-- Ticket to Ride, Come together
The Flaming Lips -- The Soft Bulletin
The Stranglers-- Golden Brown
Aretha Franklin-- Chain Of fools
AC/DC--Highway to Hell
Nirvana--In Utero
Nina Nastasia-- Run To Ruin
Neil Young--Harvest
Joy Division--Closer (Creepy)

Anything By James Gadson
Anything By Clive Stubblefield

The Binson echo has alot to do with the drum sound on "When the Levee Breaks". The Drum Sound is huge because the micing technique mentioned by redtape above. Adding a quarter note echo adds a weird predelay to the pattern that makes it sound cavernous.

Check out James Gadson with Bill Withers from the Old Grey Whistle Test on youtube.
The BBC were the masters at broadcast studio recording.

One band whose drum sound I used to love would be The Cardigans. There's a crispness to the drums in Carnival and stuff like that that sounds great. I wish I knew more about such things technically because it's a lovely sound.

I read somewhere that the drum sound on Pod by the Breeders is the best drum sound in existence.

But the source may have been the drummer in the band.
I know nothing about drum sounds.

One band whose drum sound I used to love would be The Cardigans. There's a crispness to the drums in Carnival and stuff like that that sounds great. I wish I knew more about such things technically because it's a lovely sound.

I read the first two albums were just three mics, one on the kick, one on the snare and a mono overhead, mono drums basically. Lots to do with the old kit and yr mans playing being right on the 60's pop beat money...

I was pretty bummed when they started doing the metronomic pro tooled drum sounds on Erase and Rewind, I think what they gained in chart placings they lost in being an interesting band

United, Phoenix - I absolutety love that drum sound. Like it was recorded in a room stuffed with cotton balls.

It is ok to say Homework by Daft Punk - I fucking love that 909 kick and hi-hats sound. Only just got a set of 909 samples and been messing around with them the last couple of days. Love it.

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, all is Bright

Amazing drum sound.

Anyone know if it is V-drums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back