Great Drum Sound Thread (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com

Took me by surprise on shuffle the other day.
- Sonic Youth, Self Obsessed and Sexee from Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star.

Is this the ultimate drum sound?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000003TB0/?tag=thumpedcom-20 crappy compressed clip online here doesn't do it justice. I'm sure a lot of you have the album. Stick on that song and enjoy.

I must dig that out... I was all about the guitars when I last listened to that. The drum sound on murray street is great too, first time (I felt) that Steve Shelly was done justice in a good few years

2. Steven Drozd on Clouds Taste Metallic - The bust up distorted drum sound, it's totally smashed but still very clear, to get a big roomy kit sounding this agressivre yet still nice (I imagine) takes a lot more work in the tunning and placement department then just mashing it thru a Big Muff... something amazing going on with that kick drum too

the drums on apple'o by deerhoof are amazing, as are mario rubucala's drums on both the thingy albums and the last hot snakes record

i'm growing less and less fond of the albini drum sound, maybe again through overexposure

I like the smashey and nicey sounds on the Autolux record quite a bit.

Harvest - best one handed drums sound evor.

Some of the sounds on the Klaxons record are fun.

+1 for In Utero.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours... drool.

Everything Bonham.

Ringo had some cool-sounding shit.

Slint - Spiderland. Brian Paulson did an astounding job getting this sound and recording it in only a couple of weekend sessions...captures the loud/soft dynamics without being as showy as Albini's methods. Britt Walford is amazing too, which helps.

Yeah, Spiderland is a goody.
I got a guitar sound very similar to some of the nastier ones on Spiderland by accident one day - I think I had a guitar going through a DS-1 and either DI'd or stuck straight into the desk.

I likes the "Aha Shake Heartbreak" Kings of Leon drums...but I reckon its cause every other instrument on that record sounds class too...balance, and all that.

As I recall David Holmes did a nice job on the dums on the "Out of Sight" soundtrack...loads of compression so you can hear the drummer farting between each beat.

I love the drum sounds the likes of DJ Shadow, Four Tet, Cinematic Orchestra, Red Snapper etc use. I know they're mostly samples from old funk records and the like but they sound great. I suppose David Axelrod's drum sound could be thrown in here as well.

melvins drum sound in general, but especially on pigs of the roman empire.
old ramon by red house painters.
rust in peace by megadeth. mike click (g n'r) gets a really punchy sound here.
ac/dc in general.
i still like the albini sound. especially on silkworm albums. the last high on fire album too.
songs for the deaf by qotsa
boredoms, big dence wall-o-drums.
i'm in total agreement with dudley on the thingy drum sound.
tool. all albums.
dudley gave me this album a while ago by a frenchie call benjamin biolay. beautiful drum sound.

Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia
- shit but deadly drum sound.

Not shit, but amazing drumsound!

My personal favourite that springs to mind - Marquee Moon by Television. So thin and crispy and brittle and perfectly suited. For example the bit after the title track breaks and then comes back after the first chorus. I believe Billy Ficca thought it was a rehearsal and not a take and wasn't trying too hard or something. Whatever, its fucking magnificent.

Also, Glenn Kotche on the last Wilco album. They're a bit like the ones on Sister by Sonic Youth, and were both recorded at the same place, so it may have something to do with it (Sear Sound, I think). They're kind of slightly dulled but with a great percussive thump.

And as people have said before, Ringo's echoing tom sounds, Steven Drozd's mutant distorting drums.

based on what i listened to this evening:

great TIGHT sounds:
broken social scene- you forgot it in people(it varies quite a lot in one album)
cheval de frise- sans titre (great example of a tight sound)
drive like jehu-yank crime
midlake
pavement-brighten the corners
primus tales from the punch bowl
sea and cake

great BIG sounds:
battles-epB&c
don cab- american don
faraquet-the view from this tower
fucking champs-any
jsbx-acme
the probot album
rumah sakit-rumah sakit
turing machine- a new machine for living
slayer-south of heaven
the speaking canaries-get out alive
trans am-liberation

classic 80's beats:
joy division-most of the stuff on permanent

roomy stuff:
lambchop-awcmon
micah P hinson-and the gospel of..

great lo-fi sounds:
sebadoh- bakesale
superchunk- heres to shutting up
waiting room- catering for headphones
WEEZER- PINKERTON (what a fucking great bass drum)

and of course the greatest classic drum sound:
METERS
led zep

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back