Good man Stephen Ireland... (3 Viewers)

If this was Boards you guys would be SO dead for not keeping on topic. Especially when the topic is so entertaining!

I feel I must mention here that I don't think Hunt is a particularly good player. Just someone I think is experienced and useful to have around rather than injured. But if you want to start singling out member of our squad who don't deserve to be playing at the highest level then you could easily mention Whelan and Ward also (and maybe some others), both of whom will not only be on the plane but will most likely be in the starting XI.

He's a mongrel of a player alright but Hunt can be very effective when he's fully fit.. His career is tailing off though, injured for large parts of the last 2 seasons and has barely done anything for Wolves this year. If it was based on form McClean should obviously go instead, but Trap is going to go for experience, loyalty etc so unless he's actually ruled out I'd expect Hunt to be in the squad. I'd imagine we'll have 4 wingers - Duff, McGeady, Hunt and either Coleman or Fahey (probably Fahey, based on the experience and versatility factors).

Gibson must have a good shout of getting back into the team, having done what Trap wanted him to do.. I would drop Whelan and start Gibson alongside Andrews, with Keane in a deep role to make it 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 when needs be. Ward is a weak spot for certain but we have so few options in that position, hopefully we don't end up paying for Trap ignoring Marc Wilson and Tierney at Norwich.

Whelan has been rock solid for Stoke, he's all graft no head, like a less good Lee Carsley but he get's the job done. My sister (a West Brom supporter) informs me that Andrews has done well since he arrived too though I'd go with Whelan and Gibson lying deep and Keane in a deeper role than his usual, Yes I am still pitching this, no I won't stop til I am heard Trap.He seems to play there for LA and did very well in that position at Villa. Forgot about Kieth Fahey. Now there's a lad who deserves a run with a premier league club. If he and Lawerence just had pace they'd be top class.

I doubt Robbie's ability to obey instruction, or to keep a team shape. Ideally, Robbie up front on his todd, an attacking player as the 1 in the hole. McCarthy or Hoolahan would be the obvious ones. I mean, Stephen Ireland, sorry.

Meanwhile, the form of our strikers is pretty fucking woeful. Kev Doyle can't get into the worst team in the league, and Longcox are hardly ever on the pitch. Connor sammon anyone?

Two fifteen minute cameos for Wigan and we're talking about Sammon now?! Sure why not Noel Hunt then?
I agree with you 100% about Doyle but Walters and co at Stoke have just taken their foot off the gas after a long season for them and Walters will be ready and willing come June. Keane and Walters would be the starters for me

Two fifteen minute cameos for Wigan and we're talking about Sammon now?! Sure why not Noel Hunt then?
I agree with you 100% about Doyle but Walters and co at Stoke have just taken their foot off the gas after a long season for them and Walters will be ready and willing come June. Keane and Walters would be the starters for me
it was a joke, to kind of highlight the paucity of options. i shoulda used a smiley. i thought, no, they won't respect me for it. But now look at me.

as an aside, how's dunner doing? We are F.U.C.K.E.D. without him.

Well, trap will take him even if he's lost a foot. He'd still be our best player by a mile too.

and still deluded...

This is obviously true but I wonder if time has made him a bit more of a sympathetic figure. He's obviously an utterly ridiculous person but the root cause of his estrangement from the Irish team was a pretty terrible personal event that he obviously wasn't emotionally or mentally intelligent to handle. If he'd only said that his gf had suffered a miscarriage things could have been very different.

It's hard to feel now that he was any great loss to the Ireland team given the trajectory his career has taken since that 6 months or so in 2009 when he briefly looked like the second coming of Liam Brady, but the whole years long shitshow fallout from that was totally unedifying for everybody involved and as a 21 year old at the time going through a personal crisis he shouldn't have taken the brunt of the public hatefest..

Also LOL at the Euro 2012 optimism earlier in the thread..

This is obviously true but I wonder if time has made him a bit more of a sympathetic figure. He's obviously an utterly ridiculous person but the root cause of his estrangement from the Irish team was a pretty terrible personal event that he obviously wasn't emotionally or mentally intelligent to handle. If he'd only said that his gf had suffered a miscarriage things could have been very different.

Would they really have been though? If the whole granny affair hadn't taken place, let's face it, he'd just have done something else totally mental a few months later before some other match. His whole career has been doing and saying mental stuff. You can train the talent but you can't stop the player being mental..

Someone once said about him that he's a really genuine honest guy, who genuinely honestly believes what he says in the moment that he says it.

I think he was let down by people who should have guided him better, but Cormcolash is probably right, if it wasn't that it'd be something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back