Going to college advice please? (1 Viewer)

student1

Hello I'm new here and looking for some advice, I'm a 21 year old female and due to
health problems have been unable to start college until this year I have applied
for an accounting degree but to be honest I'm worried I'm a bit to old to start
first year, I know there are mature students but over all what is the average age of a first
year? Does anyone here think this is to old especially regarding the social end of things.
I'm very eager to make friends there and I will be living in accomadation with five
other first years just a bit worried all in all. thanks a million in advance.

I am the first, but won't be the last person to tell you that you should quell your fears of being too old. Seriously, once you start you'll see that the difference in age between you and other people on your course (especially when you're only 21!) is insignificant. Yes, first years are generally of school leaving age 17/18/19, but in the 3 courses I did in college there was a broad range of ages (ok, mainly people were younger rather than older) but it almost never mattered. Especially socially. In fact one guy was over ten years older than the rest of us, and it was never an issue when it got down to having the craic.

In short, forget about the any age difference. Especially at your age, it's 99% irrelevant.

I flunked out of college in first year when I was 32.But all me college mates were about 20.they were sound,except they always were calling me dad.

i hope this nugget helps.

you'll only be two years older then the majority of them, that's nothing for college. there'll be a lot of older people there then you

go, work hard, have fun and enjoy yourself, make friends of all ages.

2 years is nothing compared to people i was in college with. heck with my college class, some of the teachers were younger then some of the students.

don't be worried, it's nothing.

I've just finished first year and will be 30 in September.
Half of my class thought I was 19 like everyone else at the start of the year.
It's totally fine, you won't have a problem at all. There is one girl in my year that is 21, she had an illness and had to take a couple of years out from education, and everything is fine for her. Just do it, it'll be grand!

Thank you for your replies, Do you think it will affect the social end of things
at all?

It's only a two or three year difference, it's not like your a 40 year old going to perv on everyone. Guaranteed everyone won't even know that your older than them.

i did an accounting course before and there was some lad who was around 50 in my class, he seemed alright. Wouldn't be too concerned

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back