Going dancing in Dublin (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I haven't gone out dancing in a disco in years, I'm sure. Might have ended up someplace like Whelan's after a gig, but I haven't gone out specifically to dance (by dance I of course mean "leap around like a loon", you understand)

So, where would a fella like me find a good night's dancing in Dublin? I don't really have much interest in electronic music*, and pubs with cool music are no good cos I'm not going to dance if no-one else is doing it. Ideally it'd be someplace that will play both Funky Kingston and A Forest, plus that remix of The Incredible Bongo Band doing Apache. If I had to choose one it'd take the funky shit rather than the indie classics, but it'd have to be actually funky and none of yer disco/house/acid-and-or-latin-jazz crack

edit: *unless funky hip-hop is considered "electronic"

well................ I've been askin the EXACT same question to dublin ppl since I've moved here and the reality is dire...
Apparently there is no life beyond Whelans or Doyles for dancin!! Just pure dancin (minus the posing)

And nobody'll come to Fibbers with me either... Jeeze this place sucks!

(oh I miss strange brew so much.... :( )

Ahem. Check my sig for details.
We actually had girls(!!!!) dancing on our first night-I think it was to Prince's 'Black Sweat' or Talking Heads' 'Road To Nowhere'.

Upstairs in Slattery's this Friday. No cover charge because we've no bands playing.
For shame.

Every forthnight for the moment though it may become a regular weekly night depending on the number of bodies in the door.
It was nice hearing 'WindowLicker' blasted throughout the place.

oh boy, do i love dancing too!
In Cork there is a dearth of places to go.
Worst bit is I really really want to get djing again myself, but I have 'the fear'. Oh, and no clue of how to get about doing it again. (last time we were asked)
Sigh.
I'm going to start the "Give Sweet Oblivion the DJ a home!" campaign.
Who's in?

oh boy, do i love dancing too!
In Cork there is a dearth of places to go.
Worst bit is I really really want to get djing again myself, but I have 'the fear'. Oh, and no clue of how to get about doing it again. (last time we were asked)
Sigh.
I'm going to start the "Give Sweet Oblivion the DJ a home!" campaign.
Who's in?

dj at ciaran's thing. he'll be busy eating kebabs anyway...

Remember that thing that used to run in Vicar St. called Velour? I was at it once and it was deadly, but then it moved to whatever that place was called next door and the next time I went it was shit

So - one suggestion so far, from someone promoting his own night. Anyone else?

Dorans is good. Changed a bit but...
gsv_kip-and_toby_dancing.jpg

Remember that thing that used to run in Vicar St. called Velour? I was at it once and it was deadly, but then it moved to whatever that place was called next door and the next time I went it was shit

So - one suggestion so far, from someone promoting his own night. Anyone else?

i went to this a couple of times and it was a good buzz:

"Choice Cuts present DIG
every Friday pod / lobby bar

Price: Adm E5 before midnight/E8 after
Doors 11.30pm

Promising to be a regular party night for music lovers in Dublin. DIG will be hosted by ChoiceCuts finest and the very best deejay crews from around Dublin along with appearances by the some of the world's best international DJ's.
And in the finest true school tradition all styles will be found in the mix. Soul, Hip Hop, Funk, Reggae, Disco, Electro, Old School, anthems and oddities, the old alongside the new. There is already a lot of talk about this night as crews like Worries Outernational, Firehouse Skank, All City and Stylus will be making regular appearances along with Tu-ki, Mek, Billy Scurry & Arveene. Deejays like Quantic, Paul Nice, JRocc, Egon, Mad Mats are already lining up to bring the international flavour to DiG. This has all the ingredients to be the answer to Dublins' musical void on a friday night.

A bonafide hip hop funk reggae soul rock jazz disco and vinyl culture affair - true school djing at its best. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back