Glasgow? (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
So I'm going to Glasgow for a few days, and I want to get some Christmas shopping done. Any recommendations on where to go? I don't have much to spend, but I like to buy interesting gifts, by which I mean...I'm not quite sure what I mean. Where to go? Like, I can find big shops and high street places on my own, I'm sure, but what other stuff is there?

And maybe some good places to eat and drink and stuff? Apart from several other folks around here, I'll be all conferenced-up for most of the weekend, but it'd be good to know, just in case. Also, if there's a good shopping area near the Uni, that'd be deadly because I could sneak out during boring papers (I got much of last year's Xmas shopping done during boring papers at a conference in Bristol).

Deadly.

Oh yeah, and, you know, stuff to see and all that.

Nice and sleazy's is yer man. Such a great pub, up the top of sauciehall st., with a wicked jukebox, and they do food. Glasgow is pretty good fer the shopping, sauciehall st itself is really long and full o shops and it has a big jervis type place down the end called the Buchannan Galleries. I don't know about more indie type boutiques but they have Fopp, and it is fantastic for the purchase of cheap cds and books etc. I would imagine you'd get a better diversity of trendy shops in the west end but I don't know of any off hand. I haven't been to Glasgow in about 3 years but I love it, it's a great city.

Fabulous! Thanks!

I'm hoping to maximise my shopping potential by doing some advance planning.

As for evening events, I imagine I will be at the whim of other conference attendees. Thank god most of the archaeologists I know like at least half-decent music and hate shitty bars.

jane said:
Fabulous! Thanks!

I'm hoping to maximise my shopping potential by doing some advance planning.

As for evening events, I imagine I will be at the whim of other conference attendees. Thank god most of the archaeologists I know like at least half-decent music and hate shitty bars.
do they dig rock?

yer first port of call should be monorail, amazing record shop/pub/vegan restaurant on kings court, kings street.
its sister venue, stereo, can often have pretty great gigs on.

the tchai ovna russian tea rooms, down the end of otago lane (off great western road) is deadly too. they have hundreds of varieties of tea, including monkey leaf tea (picked by monkeys!!!)

if you're gonna be stuck in the GU campus much, you should check to see if anyone is playing the graduates club

http://www.13thnote.co.uk/ is a great vegan restaurant with a deadly venue in the basement.

fopp is the deadliest thing in the world however and you will probably spend all your time purchasing CD's for £5. i should give you a list of things i want 8)

you must *not* miss Fopp

spiritualtramp said:
Byers Road is ok for shopping, plus it is really near the University.
Cool. I'm staying right near the Buchanan place, so I'll probably hit there on Thursday and Friday morning. Since I have to register for the conference Friday evening -- and go to a free whiskey reception :) -- I'll try there Friday afternoon. If my nerves can handle the crowds, that is.

Thanks!

I don't think Byers road will be too bad to go shopping on as it is not a central shopping district. The city centre of Glasgow will be packed with shoppers but Byers road is more a local studenty shopping area.

Here is a map

http://www.gla.ac.uk/general/maps/colourmap.pdf

somewhere off Byers road there is a lane called Ashton Lane (I think) where there are some really nice pubs. Also, if you go up Great Western Road towards Kelvinbridge there is a really good music shop to your right. I can't remember if it is past the river or before it though. But ehh...its a good shop with dirt cheap second hand stuff. For example, I found a limited edition vinyl of Isn't Anything in there.

spiritualtramp said:
I don't think Byers road will be too bad to go shopping on as it is not a central shopping district. The city centre of Glasgow will be packed with shoppers but Byers road is more a local studenty shopping area.

Here is a map

http://www.gla.ac.uk/general/maps/colourmap.pdf

somewhere off Byers road there is a lane called Ashton Lane (I think) where there are some really nice pubs. Also, if you go up Great Western Road towards Kelvinbridge there is a really good music shop to your right. I can't remember if it is past the river or before it though. But ehh...its a good shop with dirt cheap second hand stuff. For example, I found a limited edition vinyl of Isn't Anything in there.
Thanks, Trampy!

Glasgow is great. Me and Anthony spent three hours driving around it trying to find the aforementioned Stereo venue 'cos Joss gave us the wrong directions ;). Deadly city. I second the Fopp recommendation but wasn't too wild about the funny tea .....

spiritualtramp said:
somewhere off Byers road there is a lane called Ashton Lane (I think) where there are some really nice pubs.
that beside the university?
lovely wee spot, the cinema there looks like all cinemas should look like.

I'm really looking forward to this now! I'm glad I have a day to mill around. Most of the time, when I go to conferences, I don't get to see much of the city. I still won't get to see much, but I like wandering around new places. Plus, I love sandstone buildings. There's something amazing about the way the stone weathers.

jane said:
So I'm going to Glasgow for a few days, and I want to get some Christmas shopping done. Any recommendations on where to go? I don't have much to spend, but I like to buy interesting gifts, by which I mean...I'm not quite sure what I mean. Where to go? Like, I can find big shops and high street places on my own, I'm sure, but what other stuff is there?

And maybe some good places to eat and drink and stuff? Apart from several other folks around here, I'll be all conferenced-up for most of the weekend, but it'd be good to know, just in case. Also, if there's a good shopping area near the Uni, that'd be deadly because I could sneak out during boring papers (I got much of last year's Xmas shopping done during boring papers at a conference in Bristol).

Deadly.

Oh yeah, and, you know, stuff to see and all that.

best place to eat in glasgow is the grassroots cafe, amazing veg food, its between town and west end.
best bars on ashton lane off byres road are brel, the loft and upstairs in the ubiquitous chip. avoid wodka vodka.
go down the ruthven/downaside lane directly opposite the byres road underground and you will find a cool junk shop, a vintage clothes shop and a small new clothes shop where some las sells clothes she makes herself.

HalfHunter said:
underground and you will find a cool junk shop, a vintage clothes shop and a small new clothes shop where some las sells clothes she makes herself.
Now thaaaat's the stuff. Not so much for the pressies, mind, but ooooh yeah.

How much colder can I expect it to be, by the way, since I see 'Glasgow' in your location thingy? I'm pretty much dressed for Dublin winter, which may or may not be a grave mistake.

jane said:
Now thaaaat's the stuff. Not so much for the pressies, mind, but ooooh yeah.

depends who your buying for, i would be very happy with anything from the junk shop.

How much colder can I expect it to be, by the way, since I see 'Glasgow' in your location thingy? I'm pretty much dressed for Dublin winter, which may or may not be a grave mistake.[/QUOTE]

i'm not in glasgow now, dublin attire will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back