Give Stan a chance (2 Viewers)

Hector Grey

Contributor
Since 2000
you cunts.

Come on, for ireland like. a bit o positivity.

Come on Corky!!
SStaunton.JPG

Be the Hokey said:
no. you sir are a dundalk loyalist and nothing more. i didn't see you giving roy an inch, for ireland like.
stephen didn't desert his country because he wanted to walk triggs or reimpregnate his tinker wife.

roy=traitor.

staunton=corky.

Staunton's hardly going to go walk Roy's dog, now, is he?

About the only thing I'd say in Staunton's favour so far is that he hasn't demonstrated his ineptitude YET.

haha!
you might be right hector (to an extent) but he still can't manage a sentence, not to mind a football team, corky or whatever

ratmonkey said:
Staunton's hardly going to go walk Roy's dog, now, is he?

About the only thing I'd say in Staunton's favour so far is that he hasn't demonstrated his ineptitude YET.
yes. we should enjoy this calm while it lasts. as of now he's our best manager ever. still yet to lose a game.

Look at it this way, Van Basten manages Holland, Klinsmann manages Germany, both of them are ex-players who were nobodies on the managerial scene before they took over for their countries, and both of them have completely turned their countries' teams fortunes around. Okay so Holland aren't really that much better than they were but they are no longer getting steadily worse, Klinsmann has done an amazing job with Germany though. Maybe Stanto will do the same for Ireland. snigger.

Cormcolash said:
Look at it this way, Van Basten manages Holland, Klinsmann manages Germany, both of them are ex-players who were nobodies on the managerial scene before they took over for their countries, and both of them have completely turned their countries' teams fortunes around. Okay so Holland aren't really that much better than they were but they are no longer getting steadily worse, Klinsmann has done an amazing job with Germany though. Maybe Stanto will do the same for Ireland. snigger.
I keep hearing that too but you just can't compare Marco Van Basten and Jurgen Klinnsman to Stephen Staunton as footballers. Dunno how Walsall were doing with Stan in the fold but now that he's been apponted it'll be interesting to see that if he comes within one goal of qualification AND gets the same results as all the strong teams in our group against a country like Israel will he or Bobby Roson face the wrath of the media.

Yeah true enough, they were both forwards and Stan is a defender. Plus Stan has much more football experience than Van Basten due to not having had to retire injured, three World Cups worth. Plus he can take better free kicks than them.
Anyway we were 2-0 up against Israel at Lansdowne Road. We should NEVER have drawn that match. And we were 1-0 up against them in Israel until the 90th minute. Fuck sake! Although in fairness they pretty much played us off the pitch in Israel.
Last point, Van Basten is pretty much my favourite centre forward ever, injury robbed us of possibly the greatest goalscorer the world has seen, Holland would probably have won a World Cup if he had kept playing for them! Just remember that volley from practically the corner flag, unbelievable!

as mick mc carthy once said of brazil.

"well, they might have ronaldo, rivaldo and cafu but we have richard dunne and matty 'olland"

i think the stupidest thing about it all is that the fai said they would appoint someone with better credentials than kerr. fuck. sake.

that said i think stan deserves a shot before people write him off but personally i don't think he has the strength of personality for management but that's maybe not as important for international managers. also, these mickey mouse two-'manager' type arrangements very rarely work, it confuses the players and undermines the authority of both 'managers'.

but sure no-one's really expecting us to qualify as fourth seeds anyways are they? best we can hope for is to bring through some new faces and build a new team so they're up to the task of world cup qualification. i'm sort of surprised kerr didn't bring through more young players during his time. putting kavanagh on instead of elliot when keane got 'injured' against israel was the decision that cost him his job ultimately i think.

We do have some great young players coming through right now actually, the likes of Elliott and Reid are looking like fucking great prospects at the moment. Then there is McGeady who is fucking brilliant too. All we need are some decent defenders.

Cormcolash said:
We do have some great young players coming through right now actually, the likes of Elliott and Reid are looking like fucking great prospects at the moment. Then there is McGeady who is fucking brilliant too. All we need are some decent defenders.

there was write up about stephen ireland in the guardian yesterday. ive not really seen him but theyre comparing him already to keano.

ramps said:
there was write up about stephen ireland in the guardian yesterday. ive not really seen him but theyre comparing him already to keano.

i watched yesterday's match and he covered alot of ground, looked decent in the tackle and is useful goin' forward (laid on the goal). he's exactly the sort of player who should be given a few games in the euro qualifiers with a view to being part of the first team in 2-3 years time. still a bit on the scrawny side but better to blood him now i say.

Cormcolash said:

yeah, more of this says i!! it's doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. sure you never know, stan could still unearth a few fordeners to fill the gaps too.

snap-apple said:
i watched yesterday's match and he covered alot of ground, looked decent in the tackle and is useful goin' forward (laid on the goal). he's exactly the sort of player who should be given a few games in the euro qualifiers with a view to being part of the first team in 2-3 years time. still a bit on the scrawny side but better to blood him now i say.

there was talk before kerr lost the job that he might declare for england. but i think he has personal beef with kerr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back