Gardening (1 Viewer)

Oh, I have a master plan.

Gonna buy a farm, make it as aesthetic as fuck, get the kids in as slave labour, and start cranking out pollinator plants and growing on native trees. Once I've got the operation going, I'm going to try to set it up as a swanky garden center, aiming at the west coast liberal Cork elites. But the joke will be on them, I'm going to keep my job (hopefully), and just try to make the whole thing self sustaining, with the evil plot of increasing the amount of plants in the area that can sustain pollinators.

I've already got a scythe.
that's a nice little scythe project you have planned there.

Don't fear our experience, use it! Might save you some time/effort/futility
I actually can't think of anything to ask right now. But I will!

Everything seems to be googleable and then followed up with "it depends on your land"

decided to lift the lumps of granite out of the overgrown and neglected rockery the previous owner put in. said to my wife 'sure it'll just be a 20 minute job'.
now i know how the captain of the titanic must have felt. there's at least half a dozen pieces which probably weight north of 50kg. we'd been planning on reusing them, but most of them are just to big to be reused.

Built a wood seasonining shed.
Working on a huge clearance at one side.
Stone wall repairs done.
Shelving the existing shed tomorrow.
Trying to get all the heavy stuff done before i want to fuck off to the beach every day.

not really gardening, but i was given a ginormo slab of 20 year old elm burr earlier this week. i'm bringing it to someone else to help decide how to cut it up; it's got a good bit of worm through the sapwood, but so far i *think* the burr hasn't too much damage.

not really gardening, but i was given a ginormo slab of 20 year old elm burr earlier this week. i'm bringing it to someone else to help decide how to cut it up; it's got a good bit of worm through the sapwood, but so far i *think* the burr hasn't too much damage.
I live next to a wood turner at the moment. She was saying that she normally can't keep the burr stuff on the shelves at all, it's gone as soon as it gets put up.

She's cool, wood turning is her retirement gig.

down in kinsale? we passed a place run by a woman when we were walking out to charles fort a couple of years ago. near where the scilly walk rejoins the high road.
she wasn't in at the time though, but that's no bad thing. i was unlikely to buy anything, the place here is too full of stuff as it is.

down in kinsale? we passed a place run by a woman when we were walking out to charles fort a couple of years ago. near where the scilly walk rejoins the high road.
she wasn't in at the time though, but that's no bad thing. i was unlikely to buy anything, the place here is too full of stuff as it is.
Yup. That's her, https://hilaryhale.com exactly where you say.

I'd been talking about her native planting around her place too, photography, paddling around the area. She's pretty much what you'd hope to aspire to be when you retire.

How long after cutting will they be dry enough to burn?

They'd burn right now but I've already cut about half a cord into stove size blocks and stacked them in my drying shed. It gets morning sun every day so they should be dry enough for september / october.

It's not wildly wed wood to begin with, the trees are at the end of thier life* and have very little sapwood.

*these are the same ones that franklin claimed three of.

Mowed less than 1/3rd of the lawn, first time in over a decade for this place. Clearing space for veg and my siblings kids to wander about. UTM will be disgruntled but also he's in travelling again so whatevs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back