gardening forum (2 Viewers)

I have a Garter snake in my garden who chomps my slugs.
I see him once in a while, I suppose he just wandered in one day, although I haven't seen him this year yet I think that he's hiding.

He loves slugs though. That and sitting on hot rocks.

The electric fence seems to be doing the job for me. Tons of snails hanging out in the irises, none in the veg patch.

Unfortunately, I didn't put an electric fence around my apple trees to keep the kids off them at HMB's birthday on Saturday. The little bastards picked about a hundred unripe apples and stuck them onto sticks. No wonder The Selfish Giant wouldn't let them into his garden.

The electric fence seems to be doing the job.

sitting on the fence
3150837868_e80b7ed467.jpg

ORLY??????:p

i found a big area of rasspberries growing out past the back of the gaff, the plan is to use them when they are ripe and discreetly cultivate them. does anyone grow them here???

i found a big area of rasspberries growing out past the back of the gaff, the plan is to use them when they are ripe and discreetly cultivate them. does anyone grow them here???
you have the ideal situation - they sucker like bastards, if you plant them, you'll find them coming up six feet away within a year or two.

has anyone here built a greenhouse, or own one??

what's required in ventiallation?

whats required with pest resistance??

insulation??

Me and my grandad built our one about 5 years ago. It doesn't have to be overly complicated really, just as long as you have decent enough insulation, foundations and nice proper windows to keep all that heat in.

I'll ask my grandad about it again if you want more detailed info, he was the foreman.

well i'm planning to build over the weekend, as the sitting room is turning into a jungle, its going to be a simple affair, fencing timber and a bunch of insulated plastic sheets (like perspex, except it got a 10mm air gap built in). i'm expecting that it will be ventilated by design, as getting a flush fit on the access door probably wont happen with the wood i have lined up for it.

foundation wise its going on a stretch of path and its going to be about 70cm deep, 120 high and 150 wide. as its small i was just going to gravity mount it on a red brick base.

the spot is south facing, i'm hoping that it will alleviate the sitting room for now, and i have space for a full size one later in another spot, so i'm hoping i'll spot the pitfalls on this one to aid the next one.

did your grandpa purposefully leave any air gap on purpose, or is it ok to be 'sealed'?? did he build in the shelving or use free standing shelves in it??

i haven't added up the reciepts on this yet, but i think all wood, paint, hinges, polycarbonate came in around 150 euro. i probably could have done it for 20-30 cheaper if i'd been more thrifty about the wood.

a cheaper option would be a polytunnel, i just couldnt see one of the surviving the winter in donegal.

ebay will get you the same as this one for 250 ish.

past few weeks i've been raiding the 'we've nearly killed this, take it away' section in homebase. so far mint, tarragon, basil, lettuce, tomato, leeks, spring onion, thyme, strawberries and chives.. best drunken cheese toasty period in adult memory.

got the garlic in the ground at the weekend. later than i'd hoped, but mr middletons had a problem getting it in due to the weather. put in two cloves of elephant garlic too.

past few weeks i've been raiding the 'we've nearly killed this, take it away' section in homebase. so far mint, tarragon, basil, lettuce, tomato, leeks, spring onion, thyme, strawberries and chives.. best drunken cheese toasty period in adult memory.

about two of these survived the freeze.

onion graves going in today. I'm wondering if the neighbours would appreciate me putting a gravestone at the end of the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back