fundit, infographic, well? (3 Viewers)

Nail on head from G Sloane.

All my projects are vanity based.Thats why I would'nt chance it.

If you like a band, and want to them to record an album, and have it sound good then why not just donate? You've nothing to lose. You will get a copy of the album when it is done, and usually some sort of bonus/incentive product that is a token of appreciation by the artist. Yes, there are projects that will not tickle your fancy, by bands you may not like, but you don't have to donate to those projects. Ten Past Seven recently did a fundit which allowed them to go to a fantastic studio and make a fantastic record. Yes, they could have recorded those songs in a lesser studio, and they might have sounded pretty good too, but the extra budget meant that the finished product was better. This is, in my eyes, the success of fundit.
I disagree with Gaz's comment about how it is a way of eliminating financial risk. If the scope of a particular project is large, and a large overall donation is needed then it is a risk as if you do not raise all of the money, you dont get any of the money. Bands and artists must strike the balance between what money they really need, and the amount of people that are aware of the band and willing to donate to the project.

But personally, I would rather see locals bands try to do more interesting projects. And this fund:it scheme is a great way of assisting such undertakings.

I like how it empowers bands to try and do more interesting projects, as by getting fans to become investors in the project, a mutual goal can be achieved. Band X, gets to record their album in the specific way they want, and Fan X gets to receive a superior version of the album that was made possible from their investment.

I know things can be done cheaply now with home recording, and sometimes you question why bands are looking for some of the sums of money that they are, but that is the prerogative of the band, and indeed the investor.

I think a lot of the projects on fundit were started because the bands have already invested as much money as they could, but have hit a limit and need assistance. So I disagree with the zero risk

I disagree with Gaz's comment about how it is a way of eliminating financial risk. If the scope of a particular project is large, and a large overall donation is needed then it is a risk as if you do not raise all of the money, you dont get any of the money.
QUOTE]

It's a stark realisation that either your band sucks,or no one cares.

Also,empowering me hole. I can't help but think of some comments in this thread.

http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.p...usicians-they-re-fans-expressing-their-fandom

That was my point. Bands need to know, or have a fair idea how many people are going to want to listen to the final product. Im not defending every band that has done a fundit. Im just defending the concept. The concept of people supporting art, and willing to invest in its creation and production as it's culturally important to have musicians and artists producing work.

Thats a good point you made in disagreement to mine Parx and I for one will accept that.

Me-Overruled.

But,I still don't like it.I'm gonna have a proper think about it before I make further criticisms though.

just checked the thumped fundit account and so far [strike]I've[/strike] we've given to the following projects:

- Where Were You! book
- Hunters Moon Festival
- Ten Past Seven album recording
- Alphabeast app
- Lightbox tour
- Windings album

That wouldn't have happened without a crowdfunding site like fundit.ie. The money (€390 in total, before anyone asks) came directly from ad revenue here, so you're all complicit. I think it's a good thing to have a way to give something back to support these projects. It also makes me a better person than you.

I think I might actually do one of these now..cash in on daddy Petes generosity

First of all I do not like Fundit. I think the vast amount of the projects on it are fucking dire deserve no money and can fuck off. Secondly I went into debt to record a record recently which will likely never see the light of day without investment from outside sources.

I've seen people trying to raise 2 grand to make a record.You could buy the gear to make 10 records with that kinda loot.

If you wanna make a record badly you'll find the bread.These schemes are an attempt to take the risk factor out of your enterprise.If you're not confident enough in your product to take a financial risk then I'm not sure I even wanna hear it.

This is nonsense 2 grand wouldn't pay for A. the space in which to record or B. Cover the inevitable fines incurred by trying to record drums in my flat. If you're lucky enough to have a house and friendly neighbours well done but that isn't everyone. Practice spaces and equipment alone can be a real financial burden. Yes recording costs money, Mastering, duplication too the costs mount up, I've said this before, if any business was expected to run the way a band is expected to run people would starve to death.

and then it sucks and everyone wants their money back.

I don't see a huge amount of difference between that and the literally hundreds of shit albums I've bought over the years. Bands that had one good single so I got the album and it's total shit. In buying these records I assisted in the continuing existence of this band as a commercial enterprise. Every single album you buy is a risk, there's little difference between the risk of buying a shit record and funding a shit record. If you fund it you should get the album free when it's finished, that's only fair.

If you don't like it tough shit, buy the ticket take the trip.

I haven't funded anything, I do not feel bad about this at all. I don't have the money. I have a list of bands who if they asked for money in return for an album, even one which hasn't been made yet, I would give them the likely price of the record i.e €10-15 in return for a copy of that record. Anything other than that transaction seems like absolute bollox to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back