Fucking Genius goings on at the RSA. (1 Viewer)

the best way of combatting bad driving in ireland is to drop the fines. €80 is nothing to a lot of people, and doesn't act as a deterrent.
what they should do is confiscate people's cars. one day per point; if you get caught, you're given two weeks to bring it down to the local garda station and leave it there for the number of points you *now* have on your licence, not the number of points you've racked up for that specific offence.

i'd say that would put manners on a lot of people.

the best way of combatting bad driving in ireland is to drop the fines. €80 is nothing to a lot of people, and doesn't act as a deterrent.
what they should do is confiscate people's cars. one day per point; if you get caught, you're given two weeks to bring it down to the local garda station and leave it there for the number of points you *now* have on your licence, not the number of points you've racked up for that specific offence.

It's a good idea, but I reckon they just don't have the people power to enforce that sort of thing.

What's really too bad is that the really necessary change in attitude (which, as Anthony pointed out, will take a long time) would make the law a fallback option for a lapse in, I dunno if I'd call them manners (not sure if I give a shite if someone's friendly, just that they don't put other people at risk...) but a genuine concern for the safety of everyone.

The problem is that these laws don't encourage safe driving, they just threaten to penalise in ways that the gardai probably don't actually have resources to enforce.

Lots of people will still just drive according to the rules of the road on the day of the test, and then ignore it all afterward. And the people who would be careful drivers afterward would have been careful drivers beforehand, too. I think that's the point I was trying to make before, not that the 'I'm a good driver, therefore this is dumb' is a valid argument, but that if they want to improve road safety,they will enforce the laws that relate to ALL drivers, not just learners.

richard: 450k driving on provisionals? 250k waiting for test?
so technically all these heads have to stop driving?

deadly - there'll be no cars on the road!
can't wait to get a lie-in on tuesday

Should do the same for cars that aren't taxed or insured. If they were any use, they'd have some kind of cross check running between tax and insurance so the car couldn't be checked unless it's insured. In Switerland, if your insurance expires and you don't renew or move to a different insurer, the cops come calling to your door.

There are indications that the enforcement of motoring laws due to have come into effect next week is to be put back until the New Year.
The expected development follows the publication of advertisements by the Road Safety Authority in this morning's newspapers announcing that the changes would be introduced from midnight next Monday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1026/roadsafety.html

well thats a bit of breathing space..maybe

Back to the "Also any learner driver would have to hold a licence or permit six months before taking a driving test."

why?

what does this time period mean? do they mean a few hours day accompanied by a license holder? once a week?

And again, what about those of us without spouses, parents or whatever , with full licenses . what ere we supposed to do in this 6 month period?

answer me! pete!!

Another thing about the tests - are the government going to do anything to address this ridiculous situation where there's up to a 30/40% difference in pass rates from county to county? Are people passing in one place that wouldn't in another or are they failing people more than is necessary in some areas? This would suggest that things aren't exactly on the level at the test centres. If provisional drivers have to wait for months for a test the least the government can ensure is that the tests are fair.

This is why I was so put off doing another test. I AM a good driver and I drove well on the day of my test. And the narky fucker failed me. He was in the horrors. After the test I got out of the car and remarked that I was very warm. His snotty reply was that I should have rolled the windows down. Peraps this is why he failed me. My sister-in-law took the wing mirror off a parked car and passed her test. Can you blame me for not doing another test when passing or failing seems to be based on the humour of the tester or reaching a quota rather than the competency of the driver? Having a provisional licence never made any difference to my insurance so it didn't seem so imperative to me to do a test.

The main reason why they have rolled back on this for the time being is very simple. An awful lot of people would have been cancelling their car insurance from Monday if they couldn't drive.

I AM a good driver and I drove well on the day of my test. And the narky fucker failed me.
Jaysis diddles, you decided never to do a driving test again because someone wasn't nice to you? Sounds a bit mental to me

By the way, the govt DID hire a bunch of private sector people to clear the backlog, Stephen-out-of-Stoat got tested by one of them (and passed)

all this emphasis on the learner driver what about old people they are the people who go onto motorways and drive on the wrong carriage they should be tested once every two years or have a medical done yearly i understand that learners sometimes dont have the concept that a car is also a weapon of mass destruction but old timers who fall into comas at the wheel is a issue too :mad::mad::mad:

Jaysis diddles, you decided never to do a driving test again because someone wasn't nice to you? Sounds a bit mental to me

No Johhny, I didn't see the point in trying to pass a driving test that had little to do with whether I could drive or not. Also, until now it didn't make any difference whether I had a full or provisional licence .

Before all this shenanigans, the only reason I was planning on actually doing the test this time around is that I can't get insurance on our camper without a full licence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back