Fucking Genius goings on at the RSA. (1 Viewer)

My mam is convinced that if I turn up at the test centre without my qualified driver with me I'll be failed straight away - jaysus tell me that's not true??!!! I'll have to get someone to take the morning off work to come with me and wait for me to do the test.

rules of the road - you have to stick to them for at least the duration of your test.

the problem with learner drivers is that they either haven't been judged as safe, or have been judged as unsafe, which is why they're still learner drivers.
The problem with that is that almost everyone I know who has passed says that they drive a certain way on the day of the test in order to pass it.

The test itself is flawed. There are thousands of shit drivers out there who have been judged as safe.

but yeah, better to have passed the test than not

btw, i'm not buying the "i'm a provisional driver and i'm safe, so it's unfair on provisional drivers" argument.

it's the "i've been smoking 50 a day, am 80, and am as fit as a fiddle, so cigarettes aren't bad for you" argument.

If you have a crash as a 1st provisional holder and you're not accompanied by an experienced driver will your insurance still pay out?

I might use the remains of my SSIA to start up a hire company for those of us who dont have friends or family with full licenses living close by. The service will offer a guy with a full license to sit in the passenger seat for the day of the test, important meetings, weddings and social occasions etc .

btw, i've never understood the logic in the government not limiting all cars to say, 80mph. not that that will affect the death toll much.

The problem with that is that almost everyone I know who has passed says that they drive a certain way on the day of the test in order to pass it.

I still do all the mirror/checks when turning/changing lanes that I learned for the test.

The test itself is flawed. There are thousands of shit drivers out there who have been judged as safe.

but yeah, better to have passed the test than not

the driving test isnt perfect and you should have to pass night driving, motorway tests etc but at least if you do pass the test you show that you are able at least to drive reasonably sensibly when you choose to do so (i.e. for the test). choosing to drive badly once you've passed the test is a different thing altogether. mandatory driving tests every two years for everyone, i say.

This is my one and only problem:

Why, oh why did the RSA decide to bring in these laws now, without having fully resolved the massive waiting list issue first?

Surely it would have been better for everybody if they confirmed and got tests for those who had already applied (namley, ME) , and then brought in these laws. They've compromised the well being of thosands of people who've applied for their test months and months ago, and are still wating on a date. Like me.

End the road deaths, sure and totally. Dont fuck us over to get there though. We dont desrve it.

I dont, because I'm sound.

This is a whole load of bollix. As usual the government pricks are attempting a PR coup to make it look like they're doing something useful when in reality they're passing random laws that will make people's lives more difficult and not significantly safer.

Do they really think that the boy racer types are on provisional licences? Any of them I've ever known (and being from the sticks, that's a good few) have been driving around fields, lanes etc. since they were about 5 and pass their tests the day after they turn 17. They're the ones who don't put applying for their tests on the long finger.

Another thing about the tests - are the government going to do anything to address this ridiculous situation where there's up to a 30/40% difference in pass rates from county to county? Are people passing in one place that wouldn't in another or are they failing people more than is necessary in some areas? This would suggest that things aren't exactly on the level at the test centres. If provisional drivers have to wait for months for a test the least the government can ensure is that the tests are fair.

Last part of rant - what's the story with people who passed their test in the last 2 years? WIll they have to use R plates too or just people who pass their tests from Monday?

the problem with learner drivers is that they either haven't been judged as safe, or have been judged as unsafe, which is why they're still learner drivers.

Oh, I know that. I'm not saying it's an 'either or' situation because I think turning a blind eye to it for so long was a stupid idea in the first place. It's the fact that they have no problem bringing this in immediately, and yet they give the drunks a three-month head start....(Okay, I know it's not 'the drunks' because already you can't drive drunk, but you get my point).

Like, why not bring the drink driving thing immediately? The only people who are going to bitch about that are the Kerry vintners who claim to be concerned for the folks who can't get to the pub without the car, and don't realise that if they actually paid out money to have a pub shuttle service, all those people would buy way more drink and they'd make their money back no problem.

And yeah, I agree totally -- there doesn't need to be a change in legislation. It's probably the worst thing they can do because when they don't enforce things, or they pick and choose based on their convenience rather than taking people's safety seriously, people see that their attitude is pretty crap. So they don't take the laws seriously either. Because like with every other law, they won't be able/willing to enforce this one.

Why, oh why did the RSA decide to bring in these laws now, without having fully resolved the massive waiting list issue first?
A lot of people get an appointment they have no intention of keeping just so you can get another provisional.

I can't prove this but I have a sneaking suspicion that much of what looks like a waiting list is just these sort of people, and when we actually force people to shit or get off the pot, the driving test won't turn out to be the bottleneck that statistics on current waiting list make it appear.

I know quite a few people who have done the test recently and I don't remember there being much of a wait.

I don't know of this contradicts what I've just said but anyway, there are 400K people on provis licences and 250K on the waiting list so there is a huge huge culture of simply not being arsed doing the test which needs to be eradicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back