Free production course (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 2
If you're into this stuff the "mix a song from scratch" course the recording revolution has on youtube is a good jumping on point. 6 videos, about 20 minutes long; and you can branch off the compression and eq videos into further 5ish part series on those topics.

Recordingrevolution (the recent stuff, he was still learning the ropes a bit on his 5 minutes to a better mix series) and musicianonamission are my go to youtube resources for mixing and production stuff. You might find more in depth stuff elsewhere but they're really good at explaining why you do things and how they work.

Does this require ProTools or could one use another DAW (like, a free one)?
Ahh no you can use whatever you have.

Except FL Studio though ...I'm currently learning that and the routing is haywire.

what has you on FL, Gaz? Is Reaper not floating your boat anymore?
No..I'm chipping away on Reaper here as we speak.Its numero uno!

FL has got some unreal sequencing on it though..and the synths are fucking wild altogether.So I'm just learning it for the crack.

Its pretty poxy for tracking on though.Like...SUPER poxy

No..I'm chipping away on Reaper here as we speak.Its numero uno!

FL has got some unreal sequencing on it though..and the synths are fucking wild altogether.So I'm just learning it for the crack.

Its pretty poxy for tracking on though.Like...SUPER poxy

What's good about the sequencer?

Son is interested in the music production course in Ballyer. So we went to the open day, surprised to see they're all about Reaper.
He used a lappy that he can't install software on so he's using soundtrap online, it seems cool but it has restrictions.

Yeah that sucks.

I said to Daisy..if you want to do music become a drummer or bass player ,always loads of work for the rhythm section

But nah..guitar it has to be SMH.

plato reckoned soldiers should learn music just to round them out as humans

The need for a professionally trained army leads to the discussion of education and moral psychology, because the preservation of internal peace and external security presupposes the combination of two different character-traits among the ‘guardians’ (‘the philosophical watchdogs’, 375d–376c): friendliness towards their fellow-citizens and fierceness towards their enemies. The injunctions concerning their appropriate education are very detailed, because it must combine the right kind of ‘muses’ (poetry, music, and other fine arts) with the appropriate physical training to develop the right temperament and attitude in the soldiers (376d–403d). The ‘muses’ come in for protracted criticism, both in content and form. All stories that undermine respect towards the gods are to be banned, along with tales that instill fear of death in the guardians. The imitation of bad persons is forbidden, as are depictions of varieties of character, quite generally. Analogous injunctions apply, mutandis mutatis, to the modes and rhythms in music and to painting. Physical exercise must suit the harmonious soul and therefore must not exceed what is healthy and necessary (403e–412b). Because the educational scheme is geared to secure a harmonious and yet spirited class of soldiers, Plato bans from his city most of the cultural achievements that were his contemporaries’ pride and joy. There must be nothing to disturb the citizens’ willingness to fulfill their tasks.

Source

Plato's Ethics: An Overview (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Son is interested in the music production course in Ballyer. So we went to the open day, surprised to see they're all about Reaper.
He used a lappy that he can't install software on so he's using soundtrap online, it seems cool but it has restrictions.

I met Larry from the course out there recently - he's all about Reaper, and quite right too. Reaper is fucking amazing, and blows the socks of just about everything else for music production. The only reason it's not taking over the world is that it doesn't have a corporation behind it. It was put together by a guy who made Winamp and gnutella back in the day and esentially became a tech millionaire when AOL bought them out, so he doesn't give a fuck about money anymore, so he does this. Music for the masses. It's essentially free - payment is on an "honour code" basis. There isn't the huge marketing campaign that there is behind Ableton Live or Protools. Also, every principal of audio production is completely applicable to other platforms. Sure, they might call a process or procedure by a different name on different software platform, or put it somewhere else in their shortcut keys or menu system, but for the most audio production techniques are universal. I was using protools for 8 years, and Cubase for 6 before that, but Reaper just came in and ran away with it when I first discovered it. So flexible, such an amazing workflow, and a huge community all developing features for it as it's open source. Live a number of years ago a guy made a plugin for it that essentially makes it into Ableton LIve - free and open source. It's also being adopted by industry - like the last Call Of Duty game - all the music form that game - 10s of hours - was all completed within one Reaper session. Pretty sure one of the last Hobbit movies or similar was all done in it too.

Yeah Reaper is the dogs bollix

I'm currently mixing my record in Reaper, finding it's going well. It'll be even better from now on because I watched a video on how to map control actions to midi inputs so now I'm going to be able to start using my midi keyboard as a control surface
Throw your eye over this so..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TLDR ..don't use ReaEq to boost the super highs. Although I don't boost them myself anyway but just an FYI . I don't fuck with what I know I definitely can't hear

Also..yer man is on Fab Filters payroll I think but he does offer a free solution at the end..and I think hes sound anyway. He's videos are class

Throw your eye over this so..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TLDR ..don't use ReaEq to boost the super highs. Although I don't boost them myself anyway but just an FYI . I don't fuck with what I know I definitely can't hear

Also..yer man is on Fab Filters payroll I think but he does offer a free solution at the end..and I think hes sound anyway. He's videos are class

I'll take a look at it, thanks. I do use reaeq a fair bit because it's easy to use and not resource heavy but it's mostly for surgical cuts and stuff. My main EQ is the MH channel strip which I got on sale and the lads on the recording Ireland FB group were raving about it.

I do like an auld high shelf boost though, on vocals, acoustic guitars sometimes, and on my master bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back