FOX HUNTING! (3 Viewers)

I don't see that there is an economic/social justification for it. Drag hunting is an acceptable substitute if all you care about is the actual hunt. Horses are bred for all kinds of other things as well - it'd be interesting on what percentage of horses are bred for showjumping, general riding, hunting etc.
Unfortunately the moderates that would make a move to acceptable methods of hunting possible are drowned out by the nutters on both sides.

The same goes for hare coursing too. We have greyhound racing, and Shelbourne Park does chicken and chips for 2:50 (or even free for large enough groups). It's a fun night out - with a difference!
And if coursing was eliminated, you'd probably do away with a lot of illegal betting and let oldies spend their dole on good old-fashioned alcohol instead of skinny little dogs you couldn't get a good stew out of.

If dog tastes like duck in china, does that mean that chicken in porcelain tastes like fox in felt?

Is the dog a member of the chicken family? Are they related? Do they meet at Christmas? Where does the turkey come in?

Should all practices involving cruelty to animals be banned?

Should the breeding of horses be considered a way of pimping mares for stallion clients, and outlawed under the prostitution laws?

herv (18 Feb, 2002 02:01 p.m.):
most stuff tastes like duck in china.

kstop (18 Feb, 2002 02:10 p.m.):
I don't see that there is an economic/social justification for it.

I too think this is the biggest load of bollix ever. It to me infers the idea that man cannot evolve. That we some how must stay doing something because "That's what we've always done". I think we are big enough and bad enough to find something better to do with our time than bred animals to kill other animals or do loads of other stuff which is environmentally unsustainable because it's economically sound.

imagine mcdonalds wer eto close...the millions of jobs lost... oh cripes. disaster. local economies crushed... rain forests rebuilt...etc.

Anonymous Coward (17 Feb, 2002 10:04 p.m.):

"As for hunting being cruel and inhumane, it's a matter of opinion."

Hmmm... i would have thought that was pretty much a fact. My opinion on fox hunters is that they are murderous fucks so does that allow me to "exercise my own moral judgement" and remove their eyeballs with a spoon and feed them to their dogs? I guess so

I don't see that there is an economic/social justification for it. Drag hunting is an acceptable substitute if all you care about is the actual hunt.

i would agree with that aswell, but again, the argument from the huntsman/woman/child is that drag hunting looses spontineity.

anyway, drag hunting is done by means of dragging a trail of fox blood for the hounds to pick up on, is it not? so a fox is killed anyway and i'm sure they're not using roadkill.

herv (18 Feb, 2002 03:01 p.m.):
I don't see that there is an economic/social justification for it. Drag hunting is an acceptable substitute if all you care about is the actual hunt.

i would agree with that aswell, but again, the argument from the huntsman/woman/child is that drag hunting looses spontineity.

anyway, drag hunting is done by means of dragging a trail of fox blood for the hounds to pick up on, is it not? so a fox is killed anyway and i'm sure they're not using roadkill.

no, actually i'd like to amend that, one would hope that they were if the whole point was not to harm the fox.

not thinking straight today. workaholic, yep hector thats me.

herv (18 Feb, 2002 03:01 p.m.):

Yea but I reckon that fox hasn't been chased for a couple of hours then torn apart by dogs.

I think that if it has an economic advantage or not is a completely fucking irrelevant issue. It doesn't matter. A little bit of cash can't justify cruelty towards animals in the name of fun. I'd love to throw a few of those fuckers into the polar bear pen in the zoo after they haven't been fed for a while. Economic advantage or not, that would be fun.

fansap (18 Feb, 2002 04:00 p.m.):
mugwump (18 Feb, 2002 03:56 p.m.):
are any of you'se against fox-hunting, vegitarians or vegans ?

good point-
its okay to keep animals locked in a cage until someone decides to eat them, but fox hunting is wrong???!

I'm a vegan anyway! (Cue:smug self-righteousness)

ignore that it's a fox. imagine instead it was rat hunting. no body likes a rat, specially not mickey spillane. but that's half the point. fox hunting is a load of upper class bollocks anyway, and should be treated as such. crikey, imagine it was banned!!! who'd wear all those wax jackets! think of the young princes will you. one of them is all ready hooked on drugs.

me think it's not so much that the fox gets the bite. like, if them dogs was just moseying around of their own accord they'd prolly be into a bit of fox chasing anyway. foxes like to eat gingerbread men and chickens, and chickens batter the humble grain. 'hunters' should be shot cos the whole ouevre of their ideolgy is poncology. and i'm dead agaisnt that. now, if they hunted a proper prey like wolf or refugee... that would be something.

I'm against fox-hunting and I'm neither vegetarian or vegan. They're a shower of dicks, with their red coats and bugles and tallyhoo. It's a throwback to the tradition of the English aristocracy using Ireland as a playground for their brutality, and we should be ashamed of it. Besides that, it's downright cruel. It's not pest control. Going around bating rats with a turf spade is pest control. No seriously, if you want to control an animal population (whether you have that right is another issue) you don't stick on a pair of spandex and talk in a posh accent and subject a single fox to abnormal cruelty by attacking it with a crew of dogs, horses and people, unless you've got some perverted kind of logic.

Also, I think there's a misconception that cruelty to animals is somehow the domain country people. This isn't true. Most country people are not interested in this kind of thing. Sure, you have to be in the countryside to be in a foxhunt, but it's got shag all to do with most country people. I think calling their group Countryside Ireland or whatever is simply a cheap ploy to gather the support of country people who somehow feel disenchanted with Dublin and other urban areas.

Cut their balls off, I say. Hunt them down like the dogs they are and cut their balls off like in that BBC documentary I saw last night.

It's a tough one to defend, but one way of looking at it is this:

Anything that you would have hunted down for food & sustenance (as primitive man did) is fair game, we ARE omnivores, we just don't need to hunt for our dinner anymore, as these jobs have been delegated to farmers & butchers etc.

Deciding you want to kill something because you're bored can't really be called instinct, that's just the pissier side of human nature coming through.

oh, and as for the sociological implecations of hunts... does it matter if you're not a vegan. would someone who doesn't cycle be laughed at at a critical mass gig if they said 'traffic is at least dull, if not bad'.

Yeah, but if I had a choice between been locked into a tiny cage for my life- or- being chased by dogs(with a small chance of getting away) I would run for it.
Both are cruel-
I just love meat too much

flibbertygibbet (18 Feb, 2002 04:16 p.m.):
fansap (18 Feb, 2002 04:00 p.m.):
mugwump (18 Feb, 2002 03:56 p.m.):
are any of you'se against fox-hunting, vegitarians or vegans ?

good point-
its okay to keep animals locked in a cage until someone decides to eat them, but fox hunting is wrong???!

I'm a vegan anyway! (Cue:smug self-righteousness)

me too (cue: second wave of smug self-righteousness)

But to be honest there is a big difference between something cruel for the sake of it and something cruel for a reason(albeit a reason I don't aggree with). I don't believe being vegitarian makes you any better.
What really gets me is veggie's who eat battery eggs.
I mean that seems crueller to me than most of the meat industry.

i thought you said 'battered eggs' there for a second and i though, DEADLY, battered eggs, finally. alas....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back