FOX HUNTING! (1 Viewer)

deena

anyone interested in animal rights will(should hopefully?) be ecstatic to know that Scotland banned fox hunting on Wednesday 13th Feb 2002. To be slightly more precise, ' mounted fox hunting, fox baiting and hare-coursing will be a criminal offence in Scotland punishable by a £5,000 fine or up to 6 months in jail. There will be no compensation for those affected by the ban.' .. sadly some arses said '...There will be a river of blood in the countryside just because I want to get on a horse and hunt a fox..." and hunts were planned in defiance of the new law - whether they went ahead I don't know, but, for now, woohoo! scottish fox hunters can 'shove it up their arse' ..

The Irish Field and Country Sports Society recently decided that they'd re-brand themselves as 'Countryside Ireland', presumably following the lead of their pals across the water in the Countryside Alliance.

Apparently we Irish just love fox hunting - anyone who doesn't is just jealous because they're poor and can't afford a horse.

Countryside Ireland: on the ban in Scotland.
Following yesterday's news from Scotland, where legislation to outlaw hunting was approved, David Wilkinson, Chairman of Countryside Ireland, espressed his sincere dismay at the situation. He regretted the bitterness of the debate, which had at it's heart been driven by issues of social difference.

Happily, the future looks much brighter here in Ireland. The Irish Hunting Association and the Department of Agriculture met some time ago, and agreed upon a set of rules and proceedures for hunting with hounds in Ireland. Since this protocol has been in place, it had been well received by the Irish public in general. David Wilkinson adds, "There is no significant movement against hunting in Ireland and our field sports are extremely well supported." The fox hunting debate in Ireland is a non-issue.

pete (16 Feb, 2002 12:07 a.m.):
Since this protocol has been in place, it had been well received by the Irish public in general. David Wilkinson adds, "There is no significant movement against hunting in Ireland and our field sports are extremely well supported." The fox hunting debate in Ireland is a non-issue.

MY FUCKIN ARSE IS IT A NON FUCKIN ISSUE
pricks

There was a hunt on our road the other day. A load of bastards on horses with dogs followed by a MILLION 4 wheel drive car/vans/bollox being driven by their wives and kids. oh, and tooting their horns and being assholes.

hate them

In fairness, there are two very separate questions here : do you agree with FoxHunting, and do you think FoxHunting should be banned?

My personal answer to both of these questions would be no. I mightn't be particularly gone on the idea of chasing small furry animals around mucky fields, but in the greater scheme of things provided Hunts stick to the protocols laid down by the Dept. Of Agriculture, and hunt only on lands where they have permission, it's not really an issue that troubles me greatly.

On the other hand, banning foxhunting would have far more profound effects on the rural economy here than it would in England & Scotland. If foxhunting were to be banned, it would adversely impact upon the rural economy. Many farmers breed horses for hunting/pointing-to-pointing. If foxhunting were to be banned, it would take away an important source of income, and many currently self-sustaining smaller farms would become unviable. This would lead to an obvious knock-on effect on the National Hunt racing industry.

That's my tuppence...

Anonymous Coward (17 Feb, 2002 03:04 p.m.):
On the other hand, banning foxhunting would have far more profound effects on the rural economy here than it would in England & Scotland. If foxhunting were to be banned, it would adversely impact upon the rural economy. Many farmers breed horses for hunting/pointing-to-pointing. If foxhunting were to be banned, it would take away an important source of income, and many currently self-sustaining smaller farms would become unviable. This would lead to an obvious knock-on effect on the National Hunt racing industry.

To be honest, I don't give a shit.

Apart from the fact that on a good day I have zero sympathy for the "poor" farmers[1]*[/1], I just don't believe in using an economic justification for something so obviously cruel and inhumane as foxhunting.

[1]*I realise I'm generalising here... but you have to admit they do themselves very few favours[/1]

Well, it's not an economic justification for a start; it's a social justification. It's a matter of people losing their jobs, it's a matter of farms becoming unviable.

As for hunting being cruel and inhumane, it's a matter of opinion. I believe the protocols referred to above have gone some way to redress some of the more demonstrably cruel practices in foxhunting.

People can make their moral choices as to the cruelty of foxhunting, and can therefore make their own moral choices asto whether they wish to participate in it. To ban foxhunting is in effect a forcible imposition of a certain code of morality, and denies people the right to make their own moral decisions. Doubtless in some situations such authoritarian strictures are warranted; in my opinion, as regards foxhunting, they are not.

I supose it's okay once they eat the fox when they catch it.
I remember I got a lecture off a girl about fox hunting while she was munching on a big juicy burger in McDonalds. I don't really have to spell that one out.

oh hes on form today all right...

in my experience of it, and i went to a school where 80% of the students were from rural backgrounds, one of the main arguments for it was that it kept down fox numbers, hence protecting fowl.

yeah... you can imagine of of these toffs in his jodphurs phoning up all his mate wit "there's a rat in me kitchen what am i gonna do?" and all the lads saying : "stay put old brick, we'll be over on the fillies in half a jiff" and all the dogs and land rovers and flask wielding wax jacket wearning stable boy humping wives of theirs congregating in the kitchen to hunt down and destroy the rat in question because that's what they're all really about. pest control.

there's less extravagent ways to kill a fox, like. eh? EH? don't make me come over there Herv.

jeez. just sayin thats what they were sayin like.

theres a very thin line between pest control and sport down there, but also between sense and nonsense. i remember one guy in my class saying that the act of hunting was a deterrent to other foxes! obviously his method was capture the fox alive, put it in an iron maiden and eh, hang it over the city gates. or something.

you bogger are real wierd.

did you get any replies form your hot or not there herv.

eh thanks.

i must actually check did i get any responses. thing is i put "tracker programs", "circuit bending" and "gameboy synthesis" as my keywords, so when i last checked i had no matches.

ah, the loneliness of the long distance lover.

Has anyone ever actually eaten fox? When was the last time you saw "fox and chips" on a menu?

I mean, what does it taste like?

I bet it's just like chicken. Most stuff tastes like chicken, except for white chocolate of course (which just looks like it).

i just asked my collegue (who knows about such things and whos family hunt) what fox does taste like. she replied quite frostily "you don't eat fox. i've had kangaroo though."

Anne O'Malley (18 Feb, 2002 01:48 p.m.):
Has anyone ever actually eaten fox? When was the last time you saw "fox and chips" on a menu?

I mean, what does it taste like?

I bet it's just like chicken. Most stuff tastes like chicken, except for white chocolate of course (which just looks like it).

I suppose a fox would taste like dog and I have been told that dog tastes like duck-
(eaten in china)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back