footballers musical tastes. (1 Viewer)

896693014.jpg

I remember reading a Q&A with Damien Duff in the rte guide a few years back where he said that his favourite album of all time was All that you can't leave behind by U2.

at least he chose a proper album as opposed to a best of / greatest hits.

Sean Ogeaux Halpin picked 'Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits' in an interview.

Neither he nor the journalist conducting the interview specified which version
ie.
1971 Peter Green era
1988 Best of
2003 UK single disc
2004 UK double disc

etc

ok so we all know that the majority of footballers like luther vandross and thats pretty much where it ends but does anyone know definitively if theres any punk or indie or whatever loving footballers?

Steve McManaman did an interview once talking about how into Burt Bacherach he was.

Dennis Hickey is into a bit of Indie, was spotted at a few gigs in Dublin. I know he plays rugby and does Wavin ads, but still.

Shane Horgan too, spotted him in the boxes at the Olympia a couple of times.

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Gullit's awesome reggae band.
I also have a soft spot for the image of Stuart Pearce when he was a player apparently geeing up the team before they went out with a blast of Anarchy in the UK.

Clydebank%201%201.JPG

Clydebank were sponsored by Wet Wet Wet.

Brighton and Hove Albion were sponsored by the record label Skint (which Fatboy Slim is/was on).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And now a turn for the better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

psycho does a chapter of his autobiography about his love of punk.
he was on the cover of a lurkers live lp, hung out back stage with the stranglers, was pals with jake burns - who was a newcastle supporter etc.

i saw moritz volz on soccer am being asked who was the worst dresser, most stupid/intelligent etc. at fulham.
he described antti niemi as having the worst taste in music saying he liked death metal.

not footballers but that reminds me that....
english pro cyclist tom southam used to do a regular list of what he was listening to on his ipod, in a cycling magazine.
he had fairly crap taste in the vein of Q magazine.
he was on a small italian team called AMORE et VITA (love and life) which was sponsored by guess who ... the vatican.
one month he said the swedish guys on his team all listened to death metal which he thought was crap.

Each month Four Four Two magazine does (or did?) a feature called 'The Boy's A Bit Special' which was a bunch of questions put to a couple of up & coming starlets and for 18 months straight (and about 22 out of 24 months) at least one of the two players would answer the 'Tunes?' question with the phrase "Mostly R & B. Im really digging the new Usher album" or something that involved mentioning Usher. It was absolutely hypnotising. Mentally I pictured a huge record shop for footballers with a small R&B section and the rest of the shop made up entirely of the new Usher album.

Also, Anti Niemi loves his metal.

I remember Scott Gemmill - Archie Gemmill's son - doing an interview with 90 Minutes or Match or something like that and he came across as if he knew everything about music. Although it seemed like he just bought the last Mansun album.

Paul McGregor - Gemmill's teammate - was in an indie band.

And Alan Shearer is a big fan of Marc Almond.

Steve Davis has an absolutely huge soul and traditional r&b record collection. He had his own radio show playing them at one stage. And he's an incredible poker player. Not a footballer though.

He's also a massive prog fan and personally funded a tour for Magma a few years back. Magma!

?!?! Are you serious? I would have never thought in a million years that Steve Davis was a Magma fan.

Are Magma any good? I've never heard of them.

?!?! Are you serious? I would have never thought in a million years that Steve Davis was a Magma fan.

Are Magma any good? I've never heard of them.

I would never ever lie about Steve Davis prog obsession - skip down to 'Critical Reception' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band)

Magma like any prog band worth their salt have some absolutely incredible stuff and some gut wrenchingly awful stuff too.

Gareth Ainsworth at QPR has his own band (who seem shite to me) but his musical taste seems good. He was gushing recently about getting Mick Jones autograph at a QPR game

Clash star not so bored with watching QPR

YOU see some unlikely celebrity football fans these days.

Actor Tom Hanks sporting an Aston Villa scarf and Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama’s professed love of West Ham being just a couple of them.

But there are also your die-hard supporters. People like Mick Jones, guitarist with The Clash and Big Audio Dynamite.

The Mickster rarely misses a Queens Park Rangers game at Loftus Road apparently. Though, according to former Cardiff City winger Gareth Ainsworth, he can go safe in the knowledge he will not be recognised.

“The man is an absolute legend to me,” said Ainsworth, who plays in his own band Dog Chewed The Handle.

“The other week I asked him to sign a programme for me. Most of the crowd in the stand didn’t recognise him, they must have wondered what I was doing.”

Steve McManaman did an interview once talking about how into Burt Bacherach he was.

Shane Horgan too, spotted him in the boxes at the Olympia a couple of times.

I think Horgan may have been with The Mullet Shane Byrne at Iron Maiden in the Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back