FOGGY NOTIONS PRESENTS STARS OF THE LID + VERY SPECIAL GUEST (1 Viewer)

I thought SOTL were mesmeric. Felt elated after it. Really worth braving a freezing Dublin night for. The Schnausster isn't the most visual performer but I enjoyed hearing his music at that volume.

those who left/were bored, what did you expect? you've heard their music right?

i went primarily to see mr schnauss.

i had heard their albums in the days prior to the gig.
it was passable background music for work, but i wasn't paying it much attention. hoped they'd do something to give it some life live.
they didn't.

i just don't get how some people thought it was "mesmeric", "beautiful" and what not. they played like 6 notes throughout the 3 songs i heard.
there was no melodies, no layers, no hooks, no nothing, just some droney chords? what's the deal? can anyone explain?

this was amazing.

Beautiful girls making beautiful music like that can do things to a lad.

Can anyone tell me the name of the first piece they played. It was about the best thing I'd ever heard, ever.

I'm guessing now that the seating thing in the crowd was to make life a little less intimidating for the girls on stage, and fair enough. But it was mighty uncomfortable at times standing at the back. They really should have closed the bar during the set to stop people moving and making noise.

Oh, and as a side note, what should one do when a girl approaches them at a gig and goes 'excuse me, but are you scutter?'. :)

this was amazing.

Beautiful girls making beautiful music like that can do things to a lad.

Can anyone tell me the name of the first piece they played. It was about the best thing I'd ever heard, ever.

I'm guessing now that the seating thing in the crowd was to make life a little less intimidating for the girls on stage, and fair enough. But it was mighty uncomfortable at times standing at the back. They really should have closed the bar during the set to stop people moving and making noise.

Oh, and as a side note, what should one do when a girl approaches them at a gig and goes 'excuse me, but are you scutter?'. :)

i think it was 'requiem for dying mothers.'

Okay. So here I go.

First of all, Schnass was shite. Absolute tripe. Sounded like a shitty Progressive Trance megamix. Somadrome were a million times better in Cork.

Second of all, this was honestly nowhere near as good as the Cork show. But not because of SOTL themselves.

Basically, I thought this was a bad choice of venue. Maybe there weren't any better options, but seriously - when they started and I could hear the beats of "Blue Monday" from next door louder than SOTL themselves... I was not happy.

Secondly, the way the room was organised was pretty thoughtless. Putting a row of seats at the front and then no more further back was pretty silly. Not only were the people sitting at the front disturbed any time someone had to go out, like being at the cinema, but making so many people stand for a gig like this was not a good idea.

I was standing, and after 2/3 songs I just had to sit on the floor because it's just not the kind of gig you can enjoy standing. You need to be totally comfortable and relaxed to become enveloped by the whole thing, or you'll get very restless very quickly. I presume this is why people were so bored and started talking.

But yeah, regardless, pricks talking, seriously...?
Two direct quotes from a guy behind us:

"I just got in on the guestlist, I dunno what the hell this is"
"So yeah, definitely a threesome with the cello player and the middle violinist"

Ugh.

SOTL were still deadly, but the odds were against them.

I really,really loved this gig,I could barely speak for about twenty minutes after.
Speaking of quotes,some guy outside was trying to force his views on us:

"Yeah,do you not think theyre a bit repetitive, I mean with all the strings and stuff,theyre like sigur ros wannabes"

uh huh,I had to just walk away.

Im all for people checking out bands theyve never heard and stuff,but the majority of the people that seem to do this,also seem to be extremely closed minded about music.
I mean whats the point in going to something and not even giving it a chance?
Fair enough if its not what they esxpected,but people standing there moaning within earshot of people trying to hear the gig really annoys me

Terrible choice of venue. There's a time and a place for SOTL and Whelan's on a friday night is not it.

The sound was okay for Schnauss, his set wasn't my cup of tea but at least you could hear him...

Seeing as Adam Wiltzie is a sound engineer himself, I presume the sound was that low under his/their instructions but it did them no favours whatsoever. Even for the first few pieces, before boredom and mass chitchat set in around the venue, the clinking of glass from the bar was very distracting.

I think the situation could have been saved if their levels were boosted up to something closer to what Schnauss' were. I love what SOTL do on record (they just do what they do and make no concessions to anything - fair play), but basically it was just background music for a typical Whelans weekend night and they deserved better than that on their Dublin debut.

I was a bit disappointed with the gig tbh but i think that had more to do with the inflated expectations i had for sotl. They were good but nothing amazing. As has been said a bit more volume would have helped an awful lot

Seriously guys, trust me... They were fucking AMAZING in Cork. I still stand by the statement that it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

edit - in terms of volume.. it was pretty much the same volume in Cork, but the point is there wasn't shit music drowning it out from next door, or wankers talking through the gig.

i just don't get how some people thought it was "mesmeric", "beautiful" and what not. they played like 6 notes throughout the 3 songs i heard.
there was no melodies, no layers, no hooks, no nothing, just some droney chords? what's the deal? can anyone explain?

If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all. - John Cage

i was lucky enough to have a seat which i think made a bit of difference. had to endure schnauss' set which was turgid, leaden muck. really annoyed me.

as for sotl, i think we got the best we could hope for under the circumstances (venue, day, etc.). the abiding feeling i have is that this could have been one of the best gigs ever in the right room, but shoehorned into whelans, still ended up exceeding my expectations (which were almost nil). an opportunity lost. it's a pity some folk will judge them on that.

also, i think it could have been a better set. would have preferred some duo stuff and a few tracks with just cello or viola or violin e.g. anchor states pt.1, rather than everyone playing on everything.

new whelans has more blind spots than a hummer with tinted windows, too. why was upstairs closed?

I agree with everyone who thought the venue was shite, but the gig good...I would have enjoyed SOTL a lot more had I been in more comfy surroundings. We were standing on steps by the bar, and even though I sat down on them for most of the night, it was a pretty crap location. It seems like in Whelans once people are near the bar, they feel they can talk as loud as they can. I loved the visuals, but they couldn't be seen very well.
What was the story with the support guy? Did he just sit at a laptop?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back