Flying Saucer Attack Tribute Thread (1 Viewer)

jackofficer

It's been years since I listened to these fellas, but yesterday I made it through Distance, Chorus and Further. Magic stuff. Tunes that would make My Bloody Valentine turn in their watery grave, but also the complete antithesis of MBV when it comes to production values. The singer sounds likes he's singing quietly off key to himself over the kitchen sink while doing the washing up, the drums sound like they were recorded on a mike secreted in your pocket of the youngster next door playing his new kit in the garage, and the guitars sound like the volume and treble on the amps got stuck on 11. And then they went and recorded it all on a dodgy four track straight to cassette. And not one of those metal tapes mind you, but one of those old crap hissy ones. The kings of lo-fi!

Apparently they did one of those limited Mort Aux Vaches releases on Staalplaat as recently as 2003, which I haven't heard. I wonder if they are still around?

When I said MBV would turn in their watery grave I was actually trying to say they would turn in their watery grave WITH JEALOUSY. And not because FSA were ripping them off really badly. Which is what it sounded like I was saying when I reread the post. I'm just stoopid.

DC69.jpg

what a beauty

jackofficer said:
Apparently they did one of those limited Mort Aux Vaches releases on Staalplaat as recently as 2003, which I haven't heard. I wonder if they are still around?

i have the fsa mort aux vaches cd - a split with both main and white winged moth (dean roberts). think its a bit older then 2003 tho. here [ http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/flying-saucer-faq/ ] says 2000.

i really like the 'goodbye'/'and goodbye' 12" they did with roy montgomery. in fact, i generally likes the singles and comps more than the albums... harmony of the spheres, sally free & easy, speed kills, etc.

you should come check out BELONG play here in a few weeks...

"Belong are a duo from New Orleans that follow in the tradition of fuzzed-out folks like My Bloody Valentine, Flying Saucer Attack, and Spacemen 3. Yet if you asked Belong about their sources of inspiration they would say contemporary composer William Basinski or Fennesz...."

Listen to a Belong mp3 here

Ariel Pink (Usa, Paw Tracks)
Belong (Usa, Car Park Records)
The New Heat / Obscured by Light (Sweden)
Sunday 4th June
The Boom Boom Room, Dublin

more info here

fsa are deadly, further is a classic. cover of outdoor miner is deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back