Film chat (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Re watching The Omen movies. Currently on Omen 3. I just realised Ruby Wax is the Ambassor's secretary.
ruby-wax.jpg

What films are you all looking forward to in the coming months? Mine are Green Room, The Lobster, Macbeth, Sicario and Youth. Hoping we get a new Haneke this year as well.
Because I am a glutton...

The FCA's finest hour. Never forget.

Watching To the Devil a Daughter last night and having a look at IMDB at the same time...as is my wont.

Remember this scene? Her clothes fall off, you can see everything.

Phwooaaar right?

She was 14

TTDD%2Bjailbait.bmp

I can’t remember much. I remember laughing at this bit (can’t find the a clip)

Pickle Factory Boss: Writer, huh? Are you sure?

Chinaski: No, I'm not. I'm halfway through a novel.

Pickle Factory Boss: What's it about?

Chinaski: Everything.

Pickle Factory Boss: It's about... cancer?

Chinaski: Yes.

Pickle Factory Boss: How about my wife?

Chinaski: She's in there too.

I can’t remember much. I remember laughing at this bit (can’t find the a clip)

Pickle Factory Boss: Writer, huh? Are you sure?

Chinaski: No, I'm not. I'm halfway through a novel.

Pickle Factory Boss: What's it about?

Chinaski: Everything.

Pickle Factory Boss: It's about... cancer?

Chinaski: Yes.

Pickle Factory Boss: How about my wife?

Chinaski: She's in there too.

I loved that exchange.

Casting Matt Dillon as Chuck B stretches believability a bit. But it worked.

Happy Days Festival of Beckett in Enniskillen takes place from 23rd July - 3rd August, and features a number of film elements - Ian Christie talking on Beckett and film, a rare opportunity to see th eBFI re-make of Beckett's FILM, introduced by Patsy Nightigale who worked on the production, and screenings of Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers and Cul De Sac, starring the most renowned Beckett actor Jack MacGowran.

Full listings below, let me know if you'd like more info or images.

Thanks
Jenny

Sun 26 Jul 2015, 14:00

Ian Christie - Investment Proper

Price: £8.00 / Concession: £6

Lecture: 'Investment proper': trying to understand Beckett's radical view of cinema.

In a 1961 interview, Beckett talked about ‘the confusion all around us', and defined the task facing artists as ’to find a form that accommodates the mess'. His chance to do this on screen came when he was invited to write a script for filming, He had loved the world of silent slapstick comedy in his youth, when he had been influenced by Chaplin, Keaton and Laurel and Hardy. But in the 1930s he was also fascinated by the theory and practice of the Soviet avant-garde, which he had wanted to study at first-hand with Eisenstein or Pudovkin in Moscow, and it was the combination of these that produced his sole screen work, Film, starring Buster Keaton, which he closely supervised in New York in 1964. Paradoxically, by this time his daring theatrical vision was already influencing a new generation of filmmakers such as the young Roman Polanski.

Ian Christie was born in Portadown and attended Queen's University in the 1960s, where Beckett and his connection with Enniskillen were an early inspiration; and he first discussed Beckett's Film at the European Psychoanalytic Film Festival in London in 2001. He has written and edited books on early film, Powell and Pressburger, Terry Gilliam and Martin Scorsese, and on Russian cinema, and is currently Professor of Film and Media History at Birkbeck College, University of London.

Followed by screening of FILM (1979) by Samuel Beckett at 3.15 pm. Duration 26 minutes.

A rare opportunity to see the British Film Institute’s imaginative re-make of Beckett’s FILM, produced a decade and a half after the original and directed by David Rayner Clark. The film was shot in London in 1979 with the veteran music hall comedian Max Wall stepping into the shoes of Keaton, as a man pursued by the all-seeing eye of the camera. Patsy Nightingale, who worked on the production, will introduce this one-off screening.

Sat 1 Aug 2015, 22:30

Polanski - The Fearless Vampire Killers

Price: Free

Director: Roman Polanski, 1967

Certificate: 12

Jack MacGowran gives full vent to his gifts as a comic actor in a part that was written specially for him by director Roman Polanski.

Made immediately before he moved to Hollywood where he enjoyed international success with Rosemary’s Baby and Chinatown, The Fearless Vampre Killers is one of Polanski’s lesser known works. The film did not even get a cinema release in England where the director lived at the time.

The Fearless Vampire Killers is now considered a classic of the horror comedy genre. With it’s slapstick burlesque and high speed chases across snow covered mountains that recall the daredevil antics of the comedians of the silent screen, the film has inspired many imitators. The film is visually stunning with a fairy tale setting and otherwordly atmosphere.

Starring alongside Polanski (as his young assistant Alfred) and the director’s soon-to-be wife Sharon Tate whom the two must rescue from the clutches of a Jewish vampire, Jack MacGowran’s performance as the buffoonish Professor Abronsius is as wild and eccentric as Gene Wilder’s in Young Frankenstein.

Years later Roman Polanski fondly remembered the fun the two had together on the set: 'I can see now, when I look back, that a lot of funny things in the script were inspired by Jack's behaviour and by funny things about him. He was a genius in this part.'

Sun 2 Aug 2015 10:30

Polanski - Cul De Sac

Price: Free

Director: Roman Polanski, 1966

Certificate: 12

Although Beckett had refused him the rights to make a cinema version of Waiting for Godot, in crafting this absurdist tale of two gangsters on the run from a botched robbery, the young director Roman Polanski brought his love of the works of Samuel Beckett to the screen.

Cul-de-sac, as it’s title suggests, is inspired by the ironic vision of human existence to be found in the theatre of the absurd where characters find themselves trapped in situations out of their control. According to film historian David Thompson, “What Polanski created with Cul-de-sac was a cinema of the absurd, delving into situations of humiliation, role-playing, and betrayal, and evoking an unsettling atmosphere quite unlike anything else on the big screen.”

It is no coincidence that Polanski choose Jack MacGowran to play the part of Albie, the wounded gangster who finds himself stranded on Lindisfarne. MacGowran had never heard of Polanski when approached for the part, but the director persuaded him to watch a screening of his chilling psychological horror film Repulsion. Although it’s subject matter was too strong for MacGowran, the actor realised that he wanted to work with Polanski and the two men became great friends.

Throughout his career, Polanski has spoken fondly of MacGowran, 'He was a tremendously likeable man there's no question. I mean, there's nobody who would not like Jackie MacGowran. Working with him, I realised how exciting an actor he was.'

The menace and black humour of Cul-de-sac recalls the plays of Harold Pinter. Polanki’s casting of Donald Pleasence, who starred as the tramp in both the stage and film versions of Pinter’s The Caretaker, suggests that Cul-de-sac is also indebted to another master of absurdist drama.

--

Friday 14th August, The Savoy Cinema, 7.30pm
Universal Pictures Ireland and the Dublin International Film Festival are proud to present the new comedy Trainwreck to Dublin audiences this summer in a special screening which will see red carpet appearances by director Judd Apatow and leading actors Amy Schumer and Bill Hader. Tickets are €11 and available to purchase on www.diff.ie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back