Fibber Magee's Wants your band - PAYING GIGS (2 Viewers)

You must spread the blood of a million baby bees on a haunted dartboard before giving MDR more rep.

Apparently Fosters pay €100 to have their taps at Fibbers on a Wednesday and then if they sell enough pints, Fibbers will start stocking it at the weekends.

And I can't believe the Government doesn't do something about bands not marketing themselves - this isn't Russia you know.

its the same old story, the venue is not supporting live music, it's taking advantage of it.

I'm not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive? The venue has to benefit or else they wouldn't be arsed. The difference here is that it allows all aprty's to benefit. It's the best deal going and so I don't have to gloss up the pitch terribly much. That's it black and white.

Pubs aren't charitable benefactors at least this one is rewarding talent and hopefully it'll give all the other ones the notion that rewarding quality is good for business and that their money is made off the beer and not €300 worth of venue hire so 5 people can watch a bunch of pox infested crusties bollox up another half-assed Nirvana/Metallica/Oasis in-a-blender sets.

I'm thinking of getting some comedians in too. So much material walking around in Fibber's it could be the most fertile source of comedic inspiration ever.

I'm not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive? The venue has to benefit or else they wouldn't be arsed. The difference here is that it allows all aprty's to benefit. It's the best deal going and so I don't have to gloss up the pitch terribly much. That's it black and white.

Pubs aren't charitable benefactors at least this one is rewarding talent and hopefully it'll give all the other ones the notion that rewarding quality is good for business and that their money is made off the beer and not €300 worth of venue hire so 5 people can watch a bunch of pox infested crusties bollox up another half-assed Nirvana/Metallica/Oasis in-a-blender sets.

I'm thinking of getting some comedians in too. So much material walking around in Fibber's it could be the most fertile source of comedic inspiration ever.

You sound strangely like Michael McDowell

I'm not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive? The venue has to benefit or else they wouldn't be arsed.

thats fair enough, but the bands who play at your wednesday night gigs will spend money on petrol, parking, strings, drumsticks and whatever else it costs them to get to a venue and play so they need to be paid for their performance. i'm not talking a loads of cash here. a gaurantee of €50/75 for every band to cover their costs would go a long way. everyone gets paid. you pick the band you want to play the saturday night gigs and bingo, no band is out of pocket and the venue is still making money. bands appreciate being treated with respect and will speak well of the venue.

thats no business model mind you, just off the top of my head. but you get the picture.

I'd rather do that too Mark but it's not an option until the night takes off. I'm doing my own bit to make that happen in terms of marketing it and sure if it does and good live music is the visible core element behind that success then it'll be a full on payroll for all bands.

There's not one gig in Dublin that pays bands anything on Wednesday night and many bands are quite happy to go along with it. At least this way there's the bonus of a chance of a regular gig paying a fair price on a prime night unless the band suck.

It's worth mentioning again that on all the other nights bands are on Fibber's pays at least €200.

Anyway sure if anyone thinks that bullshit that's their call. Fucked if I know how to 'emoticon' 'sincerity'. You don't wanna do it don't do it. I won't lose sleep either way even though my once pure virginal hole is gaping and aching from having my 'night' rammed up there ;)

For what it's worth, whenever I organise a gig I just ask someone I think is good to support and I'd give them about €50 - maybe more if it's a band or if we get a good crowd and make money. Anytime I have done support I've been treated the same way, more or less.

I have had many a good night in Mr Magees.
One time the queue for the jacks was too longs so I just pissed in the hallway.
Can my band play?
I love heavy kettle.
We're not very heavy kettle...but we've been heading that direction.

if your band has a million fans and are complete and utter shite then you won't get near the stage in the first place.

5 people can watch a bunch of pox infested crusties bollox up another half-assed Nirvana/Metallica/Oasis in-a-blender sets.

I won't lose sleep either way even though my once pure virginal hole is gaping and aching from having my 'night' rammed up there ;)

You sound like an angry man. And not the good anger. I recommend peppermint tea and regular exercise.

I have had many a good night in Mr Magees.
One time the queue for the jacks was too longs so I just pissed in the hallway.

it's because of jerks like you that place smells of piss. and the rest of Dublin for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back