Fender Delux 72 (re-issue) pickup / saddle allignment (1 Viewer)

pissypants

Hi guitar whizzes, looking for some advice on this:

My brother bought a Deluxe online, with a 7 day no conditional return policy.
He's kind of a bit miffed at how the strings aren't really sitting directly over the "screws" on the pickups, and he's thinking of returning it. See pic:

pickupallignment.jpg

The question is: How much does this matter? What kind of distance starts to cause a problem? Even adjusting the height of the pickup, or using the adjustments on the bridge, it seems to be physically impossible to actually draw a straight line between the rivule where the string comes through the face of the guitar and the screws on the two rows of pickups.

Obviously it's a difficult question to ask without actually hearing / playing the guitar - but shouldn't these actually line up? They do on the 2 guitars that I own, and although I've seen some variance in allignment on other guitars I've seen / played, the ones on his seem to be quite extreme...

What do youse think?

wouldn't be massively worried about that to be honest. they're not meant to line up. check out this out, and thats a '73.

1973%20FenderTeleDeluxeCFAngle900.jpg

Doesn't matter at all. They're supposed to be evenly spaced across the pick up. The poles don't pick up sound, the whole pick up does.

wouldn't be massively worried about that to be honest. they're not meant to line up. check out this out, and thats a '73.

1973%20FenderTeleDeluxeCFAngle900.jpg

jesus did CBS hire a load of FAS wood work apprentices in the 70's???
check out that neck pocket :eek:

thanks to franz ferdinand and others those early 70's tele customs and deluxes are really popular now, but they're widely regarded in guitar nerdy circles as the worst guitars fender ever made. i've played a few really nice ones though, and the wide range humbuckers can sound very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back