Female rock/punk bands in Ireland? (1 Viewer)

8_hilary_woods_hwa0212.jpg

I think her hideous looks always effected people opinions of her majesty of the bass :(

hideously good or hideously bad?

I'm assuming irony in your post.

punks is punks to me not male/female. when i see irerne from sodb on bass i don't think shes great for a girl.i think i wish i was that good on the bass.when i see heather from found on the floor i don't think shes a great drummer for a girl i think great drummer!! full stop.and it works the other way to i don't see shite girl bassist i see shite bassist,singer etc but the thing about punk is meant to be the anti rock star who gives a fuck if your the next flea or not just lash it out of it!! i doubt the people in the bands see a "token girl" just another mate having a laugh in a band....and if someone is simply a token girl they need to get new mates!

the problem is if there was really no male or female in punk, you would see an equal amount of male and female.

Nothing like it, in the music scene in general, so we have a problem. By showcasing what artists we do have, we hope to help draw more female musicians out of the woodwork.

I can see a lot of people have convinced themselves we're living in a post-feminist paradise though and that having a night focusing on female musicians is somehow obnoxious or sexist in of themselves - these people generally have no solutions, and even issues with admitting there's a problem.

the problem is if there was really no male or female in punk, you would see an equal amount of male and female.

Nothing like it, in the music scene in general, so we have a problem. By showcasing what artists we do have, we hope to help draw more female musicians out of the woodwork.

I can see a lot of people have convinced themselves we're living in a post-feminist paradise though and that having a night focusing on female musicians is somehow obnoxious or sexist in of themselves - these people generally have no solutions, and even issues with admitting there's a problem.

first off you'll see i said "to me" i was talking about how i feel.not claiming to live in some eutopia.
of course there is a gender imbalance... its great you want to do something about it.(you'll see i suggested some bands etc in other thresd at the start)
you lost me when ya started talking about only certain instruments etc been proper and token girls etc...personally i don't think you give enough credit to the women in bands already to be honest.

the only thing obnoxious is your general tone to anyone who deosn't 100% agree with your "solution".

You seem to be suggesting that there are certain, specific stopping blocking women from joining bands. Whereas from my experience there would usually be around about a proportionate amount of females on stage as there are in the audience. Would you not think that in the case of punk/rock there are simply fewer women as into it as men? And I'm not suggesting there aren't still barriers for women in society in general, I was only reading this with disgust this morning:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1003/1224324777055.html

But the music scene and specifically punk seems to me to have a generally pretty open-armed culture at the moment.

How are you getting on with the organising by the way? Any of the suggestions to your liking?

first off you'll see i said "to me" i was talking about how i feel.not claiming to live in some eutopia.
of course there is a gender imbalance... its great you want to do something about it.(you'll see i suggested some bands etc in other thresd at the start)
you lost me when ya started talking about only certain instruments etc been proper and token girls etc...personally i don't think you give enough credit to the women in bands already to be honest.

the only thing obnoxious is your general tone to anyone who deosn't 100% agree with your "solution".

As opposed to you who think there isn't even a problem and attack me for thinking there is and trying to do something about it. Whatever.

You seem to be suggesting that there are certain, specific stopping blocking women from joining bands. Whereas from my experience there would usually be around about a proportionate amount of females on stage as there are in the audience. Would you not think that in the case of punk/rock there are simply fewer women as into it as men? And I'm not suggesting there aren't still barriers for women in society in general, I was only reading this with disgust this morning:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1003/1224324777055.html

But the music scene and specifically punk seems to me to have a generally pretty open-armed culture at the moment.

How are you getting on with the organising by the way? Any of the suggestions to your liking?

That is not my experience at all; there are nearly always a greater proportion of women in the audience than on stage. With heavier & hardcore gigs I tend to see less women lately, but you have to ask why this segregation occurs in the first place.

I'm casting the net fairly wide here and I'm still seeing a much smaller proportion of female artists across various genres. There is a problem. Female musicians are seemingly relegated to singer/songer writer stuff.

That is not my experience at all; there are nearly always a greater proportion of women in the audience than on stage. With heavier & hardcore gigs I tend to see less women lately, but you have to ask why this segregation occurs in the first place.

I'm casting the net fairly wide here and I'm still seeing a much smaller proportion of female artists across various genres. There is a problem. Female musicians are seemingly relegated to singer/songer writer stuff.

Ok around about proportionate is probably a slight exaggeration but the point's still valid. Fewer chicks listen to punk

This is the crux of it.Men are,generally speaking,more inclined to be into punk/rock.No-one is stopping women participating,its just that they don't seem to want to in as great numbers as men do.

This is the problem with discussing sexism, or any "ism" - people fail to recognise that sexism is an institutionalised thing - it happens as a wider effect, as part of our culture.

An entire gender cannot make a choice. It's a ridiculous notion but it's become acceptable discourse when excusing it. You can say that maybe punk music appeals more to testosterone addled males with burly chests but you're starting to feed into stereotypes at that stage. Many off-shoots of "punk", like Goth Rock were relatively female dominated(being influenced by punk acts like Siouxsie and the Banshees), and then you had Riot Grrl in the 90s.

You can't just say "Less women are into it", because that warrants an explanation in of itself. You get the same shite discussing the pay gap.

Also this isn't just punk - but the whole live music scene in general, at least which revolves around rock and alternative. Why is that? Again is it because rock music is just inherently aggressive? Does that mean women are simply that much less aggressive than man, by a factor of about 90%(which would be generous as to the representation of male dominated vs. female dominated bands).

And even though rock is aggressive it's led to many genres that have more mellow, even pretty elements that often fit even with a stereotypical "female" image - for example, Shoegaze, or certain genres of rock influenced electronic music(The sort they tend to use on Fashion programmes). What about genres like Post Rock? Psychadelic rock(Peaking lights is a good example, and female fronted).

Do women not feel safe at rock shows? This is a real possibility and something that needs to be addressed. With heavier music, mosh pits and the like, women have less upper body strength and are more likely to be injured - but it's not like you have to go in a mosh pit, and there are still girls who can kick it. Do women get heckled or harassed at certain shows? Maybe they do, or they're afraid they might be. Again, another issue that might need to be addressed and won't be addressed as long as people like people are doing in this thread. If anything, you are the problem for excusing it.

There is no way in which this argument is remotely rational. Challenging ideas like this is the only way we can push forward - we must recognise that things that happen with large groups of people are not down to individual preference or some kind of hard-wiring, but due to societal constructs like gender roles.

At the end of the day - the question is, why are there not more female musicians out there? Why are they relegated to being pop-stars, classical performers and singer song writers? Why are there so few to be found in the spheres of alternative music?

There is an implied instance here that women must simply lack virtuosity when it comes to playing instruments - I see no real backing for this. If anything, smaller fingers can make for more precise playing, and to me true "virtuosity" comes from creativity, not being able to play like Yngwie.

There is no rational reason for the lack of women in popular music and trying to excuse it only involved falling back on gender roles that need to be challenged. Even if certain styles of music appeal more to a male mindset/neurology on average, it doesn't explain why equivalent genres haven't grown up to represent a more female one, and there's no science behind that in the first place as far as I'm aware.

Basically, an entire gender cannot choose to be into one style of music more than another. There have to be some sociological factors at play. It has little to do with "want" and writing it off as "want" stops us finding out the "why". This is not an acceptable answer on any level.

There is an implied instance here that women must simply lack virtuosity when it comes to playing instruments

You are aware that just because someone is really good at playing an instrument,it's not gonna mean the music they play is any good?

You are also aware that most men who play instruments are not particularly good at it either?

I don't know why, but whenever there is a thread of girls night or feminism topics it all turns out into internet fight-club? Are you guys scared, frustrated or hell knows what?Or are you just trying to provoke us? What for? Haven't seen any girls slagging you when you put on your big rocksy events, someone wrote earlier that girls night make him cringe. Have any of you been to Ladyfest Dublin with La Fraction as a headliner? It was pure fire , also the Magical Girl that Siobhan used to put on, never a dissapointment. I sometimes think that most of you post just to look cool in front of other lads, well I'm used to guy's talk from various bands I was in, but for some girls who'd be new to thumped some of the posts would be quite threatening, with written word it's sometimes hard to tell the joke from an insult you know. I also sometimes don't know, if there is any point writing anything meaningful here. P.S some of you are really sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back