Female rock/punk bands in Ireland? (4 Viewers)

Hello everyone!
Music is rarely about an aesthetic sound, an autonomous piece of art or whatever! This is particularly felt by everyone, from whom it is not expected that they would operate in this area, and who do it anyway. Whether it is in interviews, discussions, sound checks, introductions to the band etc, they have to deal with the fact that they differ from the norm and put up with stupid comments, irrelevant questions etc. So please let's not pretend that bands are judged (who judges them?) solely on their musical merit (what does this even mean?) regardless of member make-up.

Cormoclash, perhaps that was clumsy phrasing. I was writing in a conversational manner, where you would say...hmmmm yes, but i have met some sound sound engineers. Your switch doesn't really work however as women are 50 per cent of the world that experience a lot of discrimination and sound engineers, not so much (please hold the drummer jokes). I can't really explain this further, but if you want a look at how pointless it is to do switches like this, look here:
http://www.timwise.org/2012/08/hey-white-guys-a-public-service-announcement/
and here:
http://blackgirldangerous.tumblr.com/post/25932905078/how-to-be-a-reverse-racist-an-actual-step-by-step-list.

I understand that the natural reaction to me saying that women are underrepresented is to defend yourself or other men by trying to think of examples where this is not the case. Please don't try to take it personally, when it is pointed out that your label doesn't have very many women on it. It's not an attack, it is just a statement. If you are a man and care about your label and want it to have the best music, not just the best music made by men, then spend some time educating yourself on the matter. For lots of men, it is a hard process to go through to even see their male privilege.

It should be clear that sexism is a system not just a way of behaving. It is a lot more subtle than "saying" or "doing" something sexist. In the case of the music scene in Ireland, it is more about looking at how male norms operate through out many different scenes and become the standard to which all persons are expected to adhere. This doesn't just happen naturally - we can also create places where this norm is questioned and girls are also "allowed" to rock out in a safe and supportive space - like the girls rock camp! Girls to the front!

Please don't take it personally if I don't reply individually to all of you. I don't really see giving free education about feminism and music as my first priority. But it's great that so many of you support the idea of the girls rock camp. I hope some of you will mail me (girlsrockcampireland at gmail dot com), even if you can't make it to the first meeting on Thurs. 25th October. I also hope some of the men that have expressed support for the idea will also support us in other ways, be it coming to a fundraiser, lending your equipment, etc.

p.s. flaming juno looks like a cool label, will check them out! know a lot of the bands but didn't know the label itself. thanks for the tip! percolater are over now though, right?

i don't know anything about anything, but if there was a gig highlighting women in music i'd bring my daughter to it

If there was a black night of punk, I'd have him tell his Nigerian mate, john, that he should go because he might identify with it more that white punk music.

Music is rarely about an aesthetic sound, an autonomous piece of art or whatever! Bollocks

Cormoclash, perhaps that was clumsy phrasing. I was writing in a conversational manner, where you would say...hmmmm yes, but i have met some sound sound engineers. Your switch doesn't really work however as women are 50 per cent of the world that experience a lot of discrimination and sound engineers, not so much (please hold the drummer jokes). Don't worry, I was just making a ludicrous sweeping generalisation that didn't make any sense, something that you seem to be very fond of (see above "Bollocks" reply)

What's so great about women anyway?

Hi washingcattle,
Thanks for your support!
Actually, that was Juno I was quoting.
True about sound engineers, though I have met some very sound sound engineers...but when a woman is saying that she has experienced sexism from engineers, it is best to just take that at face value. I am assuming you are a man and are in the lucky position of not having negatively experienced sexism. http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/03/11/faq-what-is-male-privilege/

Are you a DIY promoter? Maybe you would like to run a fundraiser for us? :p
DIY promotion is sometimes just as sexist and *ist as other scenes, maybe not deliberately. I am loathe to criticise people who are probably doing this for love rather than money, but a glance at the artist pages of some underground Irish labels will show a massive underrepresentation of women (not to mention other discriminated groups).
http://www.richtercollective.com/pages/artists
http://www.outonalimbrecords.com/
http://www.delphilabel.com/the-artists

Is it up to the labels alone to solve this problem? After all, this is just one of many things that contribute to the idea that playing in a band is "normal" when you are white, heterosexual, male. Maybe not, but acknowledging that sexism (also unintentional) also occurs on a DIY level would be a good start.

No I'm not a propmter if I was I'd only put on bands I like regardless of it's members.

What the hell is your point about the labels ?

I don't understand at all. They should put out more records by women and minorities ? Why should they do that ? because they are women or minorities ?

That's ludicrous.

Whether the average male musician needed riot grrl to let them know that women could play rock music I'm not so sure, but, Riot Grrl was I'm sure an eye opener for young women so that's always a good thing.

privilege-denying-dude-women-stupid.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back