Fake Accounts (1 Viewer)

ICUH8N

This is majorly annoying.
Especially when thumped users are using them to abuse other people.
Can we see the IP of each user? Or maybe just see who has shared the IP currently in use by X Y Z
I know I have no say in the matter, but I don't understand why it's acceptable for users (be they registered or otherwise) to be able to anonymously cause trouble, attempt to bully, generally act like assholes without any way of the community knowing who they are.

ICUH8N said:
Can we see the IP of each user? Or maybe just see who has shared the IP currently in use by X Y Z
I know I have no say in the matter, but I don't understand why it's acceptable for users (be they registered or otherwise) to be able to anonymously cause trouble, attempt to bully, generally act like assholes without any way of the community knowing who they are.
i'd rather not display IPs as there are privacy implications, but if anyone's causing shit ('fake' account or not) then let me know - i don't read every post or follow every thread, plus i have no way of knowing which posts are mates havin a laugh and which are malicious.

ICUH8N said:

What if people bully and abuse in their own name?

I don't disagree with them in principle, as long as the fake account is in some way entertaining, or clever or whatever, like the regular people. But some of these fake accounts are just repeating other fake accounts, which is just shit really.

"Wha wha, quit moanin seanc", yeah I know, fuck off.

pete said:
i'd rather not display IPs as there are privacy implications

Yeah, I assumed that's why you didn't do it already, hence the "other users who have used this IP: blabla" without actually displaying the IP, though I don't know if vBulletin supports that.
I have no personal objection to fake accounts in principle, they're mostly hilarious, but the constant Osamy van Hagar and friday's cOd3 n1Nja & Gorge McFly bullshit, which are basically only in existence to aggravate specific users and cause trouble are a different story altogether. If you have a grievance, air it and deal with the fallout, or don't.

ICUH8N said:
Yeah, I assumed that's why you didn't do it already, hence the "other users who have used this IP: blabla" without actually displaying the IP, though I don't know if vBulletin supports that.
I have no personal objection to fake accounts in principle, they're mostly hilarious, but the constant Osamy van Hagar and friday's cOd3 n1Nja & Gorge McFly bullshit, which are basically only in existence to aggravate specific users and cause trouble are a different story altogether. If you have a grievance, air it and deal with the fallout, or don't.

Good on ye h8n

H8N.
All the fake account holders are your mates!? Why don't you just tell them it's buggin you?
Confused,
(the one and only) Hokey

ICUH8N said:
Osamy van Hagar and friday's cOd3 n1Nja... bullshit
In both cases i'd assumed it was the person themselves having the craic with their user name. Osamy seems to get on very well with Osama, and code ninja has a few fake accounts of his own, plus, well, he's not exactly a serious poster to begin with. I'm not trying to stick up for fake accounts here, i just think maybe those aren't the best examples. I dunno, maybe (with the single exception of the George McFly one) i just don't see the problem.

Be the Hokey said:
H8N.
All the fake account holders are your mates!? Why don't you just tell them it's buggin you?
Confused,
(the one and only) Hokey

I am in fact my own fake account.
Also, you are incorrect.

What's incorrect? That Ninja and co. are not your mates or that Ninja is not the control master of other fake accounts?

I contest that he is, as he posts on the same threads and doesn't say boo.
What happened to rile you anyway?

gancarski500.gif

yawn yawn yawn

icuh8n - those guys can look after themselves

Be the Hokey said:
What's incorrect? That Ninja and co. are not your mates or that Ninja is not the control master of other fake accounts?

I contest that he is, as he posts on the same threads and doesn't say boo.
What happened to rile you anyway?

That c0De has fake accounts is not in dispute; everyone (or, for the purposes of this conversation, most people) know who they are. It's all in good fun &c
Fake accounts are an integral part of the messageboard experience in general. Many awful articles/papers have been written about it, in fact. What I'm talking about is thumped members (or people who are peripherally involved with thumped by association) setting up accounts for the specific purposes of insulting people and/or causing trouble (RSJ - unless I'm losing my mind, the stuff on Friday was neither c0de, nor George impersonating themselves, and Osamy categorically does not get along with Osama)
It's objectionable because it's underhand, sly and undermines the sense of community around here, and which is something that most people are usually blasé about. I don't give a fuck if member A has a problem with member B and they have a big messy fight about it here (á la every second post by hag, ever) that, again, is an integral part of the messageboard experience.
I'm not getting riled about it, I'm just slightly miffed that it seems to be happening with increasing frequency, and the only way to do anything about it is to deluge pete with complaint emails by flagging the posts in question, which is lame. I'd much prefer if the community were self-policing in a sense, and that the possibility of members anonymously causing trouble and bullying people were reduced.

yeah it can be out of line..
i was just worried that people that i get on with would think it was me being a cunt insulting people i actually like..
if somebody has beef with me or my band and tries to air it my coming onto a message board and pretending to be me i think that's a bit sad..
there's no one i know that i actually have beef with personally in real life, so it's someone who doesn't know me and that makes it even sadder
sitting there alone..bitterly typing away on the internet
safe behind their fake name..so no one can see how hateful and bitter a little man they really are

ICU8N has a very good point. We should be better at self-policing so that our sense of community is maintained. On the whole, I think Thumped is comparatively good at it, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways to make it better. And I think we have a responsibility to do it, precisely because part of what I think we all value about Thumped is that it doesn't have the kinds of stringent rules that make so many other sites a pain in the hoo hoo or the ha ha.

There's a difference between someone like Clive/Cluff/etc being a bit of a pain (except I think it's kind of funny) making fake accounts of himself and just being silly, and actually posting as a permutation on someone else's name just to be a dick.

jane said:
There's a difference between someone like Clive/Cluff/etc being a bit of a pain (except I think it's kind of funny) making fake accounts of himself and just being silly, and actually posting as a permutation on someone else's name just to be a dick.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back