Facebook (4 Viewers)

Una on us and our phones

Una Mullally: What are you looking at?

Social media is largely bookended by narcissism and outrage. Opinions fall like rockslides, pebbles pinging you with stupid, reactionary points of view. Everyone is Donald Trump or a hollering Liveline caller and an instant authority on shot lions or Taylor Swift. This noise is replicated, and perhaps even led by, the media, which churns out reaction, commentary and opinion on even the most frivolous things. Something happens – generally in popular culture, perhaps on the lightening rod themes of gender or race – an angry storm brews online and then the aftermath moves into the columns casting judgment, before a consensus has been reached and then forgotten about instantly, only for the tide to be sucked out and let form another wave that crashes shortly after. All columnists are guilty of contributing to that noise. But the hysterics on social media have become deafening.

These sort of pieces always come across as slightly old world pundits/columnists resenting the fact they have to now compete with everyone who has an internet connection. Did Mullally not have a similar piece a few years ago about becoming addicted to social media and trying to take a break from it?

These sort of pieces always come across as slightly old world pundits/columnists resenting the fact they have to now compete with everyone who has an internet connection. Did Mullally not have a similar piece a few years ago about becoming addicted to social media and trying to take a break from it?
people denouncing facebook or dramatically deactivating their account gets on my tits

try looking at it less, like
just cos youve lost the feckin' run of yourself doesn't make it everyone else's problem

Some amount of backwards cunts in the comments section of anything to do with refugees or foreigners of any description on facey b.

I am particularly appalled by the fascistic tendencies on display from the majority of the largely female bunch of cuntflaps in this thread

Although it is surely a triumph for feminism!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have one in particular who absolutely hates Obama, Caitlyn Jenner and all Muslims.

The others mainly hate Muslims.

I should un-friend but I'm fascinated to see if I can predict what bile he will post on any given day.

Had to unfollow a musician acquaintance. Every post was full of hippy, dreamy jargon that should have been buried with Ray Manzarek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back