Exercise/Fitness Levels (1 Viewer)

I just don't seem to be built for running... if that's possible. I used to go to a gym and I could row and cycle at full tilt until I got bored but running on the treadmill would kill me.

Me too, and me too. My knees and my lungs don't like me running. They're quite happy for me to cycle uphill though.

Me too, and me too. My knees and my lungs don't like me running. They're quite happy for me to cycle uphill though.

me three - i can cycle, swim, walk for ages, but cannot run. though a friend of mine has told me it's just a matter of getting your body used to it reeeeeallly gradually, not that you need to be super fit to do it (or that you're not fit if you can't). like, walk for a minute, run for a minute, then walk again, and build up the amount of running. haven't tried it meself yet...

this time of year I cycle ~160 miles a week (sometimes more, rarely less). In the summer I up that to a maximum of 240 miles.

I go to the gym 3 times a week for upper body and core work.

Last week I cycled over 300 miles. Flashback, I took the new bike I bought down to spain for a spin in the mountains. Its deadly on the climbs. Wobbly on the descents and not great on bad road, but overall its deadly.

I rule.

me three - i can cycle, swim, walk for ages, but cannot run. though a friend of mine has told me it's just a matter of getting your body used to it reeeeeallly gradually, not that you need to be super fit to do it (or that you're not fit if you can't). like, walk for a minute, run for a minute, then walk again, and build up the amount of running. haven't tried it meself yet...

I just run really slowly. You should be able to sing a song while you exercise without getting out of breath, I've been told. So I sing.

this time of year I cycle ~160 miles a week (sometimes more, rarely less). In the summer I up that to a maximum of 240 miles.

Last week I cycled over 300 miles. Flashback, I took the new bike I bought down to spain for a spin in the mountains. Its deadly on the climbs. Wobbly on the descents and not great on bad road, but overall its deadly.

I rule.

I cycle 500 miles a week.

I did a few lengths of the pool in the hotel last night - I think that the first time I've been in a pool in 10 years - I did a quick half dozen lengths and nearly died.

There was a time when I'd do 80 odd lengths 3 times a week.

This is not good.

I cycle 500 miles a week.
With an occupied childseat on the top tube.

I rule.
Shaky at speed eh?
Annoying. What sort of speed? Like, 45 mph - 50 mph, or 40 - 45mph.
I am surprised about that. My last race bike was fairly stiff, and had a very small wheel base and it was stable enough up to 50mph anyway. The lads in the tour regularly hit 60mph.
My mate was talking about a race he was in once, where he was sitting at 60 with the team car behind him, and a little polish lad came breezing past them.
Balls.

I was one of those good Aluminium Cannondale frames, so not as stiff as your new frame though.

But, in climbs, I already told that story about how I wasnt that impressed with the frame as a climber... until I realised I had just ridden up the hill in my big ring, I forgot to change down, and I thought I was in my little ring.
Animal altogether. Unreal difference compared to the Reynolds 531 I was on before.

With an occupied childseat on the top tube.

Shaky at speed eh?
Annoying. What sort of speed? Like, 45 mph - 50 mph, or 40 - 45mph.
I am surprised about that. My last race bike was fairly stiff, and had a very small wheel base and it was stable enough up to 50mph anyway. The lads in the tour regularly hit 60mph.
My mate was talking about a race he was in once, where he was sitting at 60 with the team car behind him, and a little polish lad came breezing past them.
Balls.

I was one of those good Aluminium Cannondale frames, so not as stiff as your new frame though.

But, in climbs, I already told that story about how I wasnt that impressed with the frame as a climber... until I realised I had just ridden up the hill in my big ring, I forgot to change down, and I thought I was in my little ring.
Animal altogether. Unreal difference compared to the Reynolds 531 I was on before.

35-40mph, into a headwind. I think it was the wind more than anything else, and the lack of weight in the bike (7.5kg).

I saw a cannondale out there (gran canaria) that some danish lad had rented. It was a full carbon on Ultegra (that he rented for 20 lids a day). Looked excellent and he said it rode pretty damn well.

The lad I was over cycling with was riding a half and half and he kicked my ass on the descents. Twas the opposite going uphill though.

I think I heard that Sean Kelly holds the speed record in the tour de france. He clocked 70mph once. Scary shit

35-40mph, into a headwind. I think it was the wind more than anything else, and the lack of weight in the bike (7.5kg).

I saw a cannondale out there (gran canaria) that some danish lad had rented. It was a full carbon on Ultegra (that he rented for 20 lids a day). Looked excellent and he said it rode pretty damn well.

The lad I was over cycling with was riding a half and half and he kicked my ass on the descents. Twas the opposite going uphill though.

I think I heard that Sean Kelly holds the speed record in the tour de france. He clocked 70mph once. Scary shit

Ah sure that's just getting settled on the bike.
Unless... what are the wheels? They are the 16 spoker jobbies? They might be pushing you about a bit (catching the wind sort of thing).
Dunno. Thats very slow for the bike to be feeling jittery though.
Have you tried pushing the frame at the crank and looking at the joins? My mate (from above) just bought a new Cervelo Carbon frame that had come unstuck somewhere.

I have to say, ok, so the Cannondale bike now is nothing special, it was an amazing bike. I loved basically everything about it.

70mph on a bike is fucking nuts. He rides (rode?) up the wicklow gap in his big ring too. Fucking spins up it so he does.
Sean Kelly.
Ireland is never ever going to see a tough bastard like that again. Old Skool hard case.

That's not actually that fast! In fact, I was overtaken by a grandad there last week. Pretty cool grandad, mind, with a bandana and sinewy thighs of steel.

save it Mike, I saw a gag and I went for it... ain't no thing...

most nights after dinner I walk up to the garage to buy fags, I'm not saying I'm Mr Motivator or anything, but I'm doing my bit y'know...

save it Mike, I saw a gag and I went for it... ain't no thing...

most nights after dinner I walk up to the garage to buy fags, I'm not saying I'm Mr Motivator or anything, but I'm doing my bit y'know...

it all counts, pantone! it aaaaall counts. You should totally enter the olympics (except you might be done for taking performance-enhancing drugs, or just drugs)

Ah sure that's just getting settled on the bike.
Unless... what are the wheels? They are the 16 spoker jobbies? They might be pushing you about a bit (catching the wind sort of thing).
Dunno. Thats very slow for the bike to be feeling jittery though.
Have you tried pushing the frame at the crank and looking at the joins? My mate (from above) just bought a new Cervelo Carbon frame that had come unstuck somewhere.

I have to say, ok, so the Cannondale bike now is nothing special, it was an amazing bike. I loved basically everything about it.

70mph on a bike is fucking nuts. He rides (rode?) up the wicklow gap in his big ring too. Fucking spins up it so he does.
Sean Kelly.

I've ridden up Sally Gap in the big ring from both the Kilbride and Kilakee sides. When I was young and stupid. And I wondered why I couldn't do more than 40kms on a cycle!
Ireland is never ever going to see a tough bastard like that again. Old Skool hard case.

yeah, I've still only been on it a handful of times. The wheels are Mavic Kysrium Elite, so they're decent enough, but the back are cross-spoked (I remember you saying something like that before), rather than radial.

I'll give it more time in due course. I'm going back to my Giant for another few months though. I reckon its more suitable for slogging about in the muck and the shit this time of year.

yeah, I've still only been on it a handful of times. The wheels are Mavic Kysrium Elite, so they're decent enough, but the back are cross-spoked (I remember you saying something like that before), rather than radial.

I am thinking more about the surface area of the wheel with those flattened bladed spokes.
The egg beater wheels might let the cross winds slip through them better, whereas the increased srface area, and the more wingy aspect of the spokes might mean that the wheel, particularly the front wheel is prone to being pushed about.

You could swap out the front wheel with an egg beater and see if it feels more stable.
I have nearly crashed bikes with those flat wingy spokes in Manhattan, where the wind is sort of focused through the buildings, and blasts though at the intersections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back