Ex-pats and people out foreignt: are you going home to vote? (1 Viewer)

From the RTE General Election website:

I will be abroad on polling day. Can I still vote?
No. Irish citizens living abroad are not entitled to vote, and overseas postal voting only applies to Irish officials serving abroad and their spouses.

its too late to register for postal voting. some councilor or other told me on saturday. i'm not going to be voting either. registered in cark but living in dubla. no way am i travelling up and down on thursday to vote.

I suspect that I have managed to get back off the register again... is there somewhere that I can check? I'm no longer registered in the parents' district. Not that I mind. I've my first exam that day... voting will be the last thing on my mind.

From the RTE General Election website:

I will be abroad on polling day. Can I still vote?
No. Irish citizens living abroad are not entitled to vote, and overseas postal voting only applies to Irish officials serving abroad and their spouses.

That is insane! And they wonder why voter turn out is so low.

"Lets have polls open on a weekday, during working hours, we won't let anyone abroad vote unless they have a party loyalty and we'll announce the election with barely enough time for people to sort out their registrations if they hurry about it."

A French friend of mine went to the embassy here in Dublin to vote - on a Saturday. No wonder they have 80% turnouts.

irish people living abroad should not be allowed vote, unless, as stipulated, they are working abroad on irish government business. don't know what you're getting at with "a party loyalty"?

and the polls are open a lot longer than just for standard business hours.

i'm not sure I'd be comfortable voting when I haven't lived there for a long time.

i can vote over here. is it right i can vote in more than one country??

i'm not sure I'd be comfortable voting when I haven't lived there for a long time.

i can vote over here. is it right i can vote in more than one country??

If you can vote there then I guess that is fair. My friend said she can't vote here, except in local elections, although she has been living here for 5 or 6 years and is married to an Irish man. If she wishes to vote here she will have to take Irish citizenship.

And by party loyalty I meant that someone on Government business is more than likely going to be someone whos vote will be predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back