Votes: 23 46.9%
  • xo

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • figure 8

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • from a basement on the hill

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
the way that song builds up...it's spine tingling!
It's different acoustic obviously (the drumming's so important in the album track) but this is a nice version:

That IS a very nice version. Cheers Sweetoblivion :)

I really LOVE the repeated chorus/ harmonies at the end of the recorded version. Did he always just play acoustic or did he ever use backing singers?

you know, I'm not sure - most of the bootlegs I have just have him singing, but he did perform with other people including the couple from Quasi...so it's more than possible.

I don't listen to his live stuff very often as for some reason on a lot of what I have he sounds really fragile and unwell. But then on others he's in fine form. It depends what year it is, how bad he's using.

The harmonies on all of Figure Eight are unreal - I mean, he used harmonies on all his albums, or at least layered vocals on older albums, but he just took them to the next level on Figure 8.

Ooh what I love too is the chugging guitar bit in 'LA' - when he sings 'L...A...' and it goes 'chug chug' in the middle. Savage.

You're right, the end of Happiness is amazing! Every song on that album is a killer.

nice video :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDKJCCmpD0&feature=related"]YouTube - Elliott Smith & Friends ("backstage" video)[/ame]

i saw him in TBMC in 1998 i think it was
am pretty sure this is the show, although it definitely wasn't in the funnel bar! the setlist looks about right
http://www.sweetadeline.net/6498.html
the show was hampered somewhat by my friend who came along and spent the first 20 minutes of the gig moaning to me how elliott's voice "wasn't very good"! (i almost didn't forgive him for spoiling the start of the show for me)
once i got shot of him and went closer to the front, things got much better ;)
there were a few japanese girls near the front squealing for him to play 'clementine' which he duly did
whilst it was a very memorable gig, and some songs came across very well live, for other songs i remember him being nervous, shy and his voice faltering at times
nonetheless, there was a hushed reverence during most of the songs, an awareness amongst the crowd that we were witnessing a special talent, a genius no less
quasi played support

The harmonies on all of Figure Eight are unreal - I mean, he used harmonies on all his albums, or at least layered vocals on older albums, but he just took them to the next level on Figure 8.

Ooh what I love too is the chugging guitar bit in 'LA' - when he sings 'L...A...' and it goes 'chug chug' in the middle. Savage.

You're right, the end of Happiness is amazing! Every song on that album is a killer.

nice video :)

YouTube - Elliott Smith & Friends ("backstage" video)

I know what you mean about L.A. Had to listen to it there to remind myself. Ace!

I also love Easy Way Out. Its such a "bright" sounding song.

My sister used to give out to me for listening to "I Didn't Understand" from XO all the time. I'd go on about the vocals, the vocals! and the way the song ended so perfectly. She was such a worrier though and thought the lyrics would get to me or something. Don't even get her started on Needle in the Hay - especially in the Royal Tens!

Jehovah - you lucky thing! I'd totally believe that about his voice not being brilliant - when I first heard his live tracks, I couldn't believe how weak his voice was in some of them. It's so fragile, sometimes it was ok and others it would be very shaky. He looked in many ways like a tough guy but he was short in stature with this really soft voice...I really like that dichotomy.

Jim - ooh god what a song! total goosebumps territory. Needle in the Hay is heartbreaking - same as Angeles and Between the Bars...they kill me. :( Probably the worst thing about his death was how he died - it really felt like he'd suffered enough by that point. But to die that way...doesn't bear thinking about.

jesus.

Now I'm all upset again about Elliot Smith being dead.

Nice one sweetoblivion.

Two T's for fooks sake!

But anyway... I was pretty depressed after he died for quite a while. I always thought that he wouldn't kill himself, like it seemed to obvious for someone so gifted. Or that he wasn't going to do it now if he hadn't already done it.

I'm listening to Division Day. God I fucking love the sound of that record.

Would have been 44 today.

tumblr_mr4iyyTLbV1ribi2jo1_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back