dublins latest scene that celebrates itself (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by pschotic no 2
Hey! Why don't all the women organise a Girls in Bands night then? Ha? It would be interesting to see all o them put together. And ye know that 'Chicks on decks' night in the Thomas HOuse. Why don't they change the name slightly to 'Chicks with decks', like those Thailand sorts. Is that not what the gag is meant to be anyway? Seems like they didn't quite pull it off!

Jaysus

yeah he's mad isn't he

I think we should take it all back RIOT GRRRLL stylee to '91

Huggy Bear ruled

seeing as people are all thinking international flavours how's about a WONKY SUPERTEAM BIG RED FUN BUS.|..| across the waters? anyone? anyone? unleash madness on the continent.....christ can you imagine the havoc.

and jimcarroll can drive:D

Originally posted by Ed
I didn't think jim carroll's article was as nasty as a lot of you are making out. So there! , the main reason i'm going is to see four tet seeing as pretty much everyone else plays very regularly in dublin.

I think most people were flummoxed by the fact that he basically shat on every other band playing at wonky (supposedly a part of the same 'scene') and naming four tet the only redeeming feature of the gig.

Decisive, incisive and impartial to a fault.

Good to see a journalist of such calibre re-entering the world of guitar music; that dance stuff was getting old anyway: I wish him well.

Maybe Jim Carroll is right

I think fair play to Jim Carroll for writing that article. I do agree that it is a bit harsh but, it's probably just a reaction to something that has been building up for a long time now.

These bands play all the time and are constantly 'lumped' together. Oh look (what a surprise) its TRM, Jimmy Cake, Dudley Corp, Goodtime, C4O, Paul O'Reilly & Steve Fanagan, Joan of Arse, Creative Controle, Daddy & Del9 etc...etc.. We all know the strengths of most of the above but give us a godamn break already. we know who they are, stop constantly telling us about it and ramming it down our throats

Yes it is a scene that celebrates itself, it's very back patting and lets face it, is the same 400/500 people (tops) that go to see these bands all the time. I think late last year cause of the whole hype thing with that Irish Times article and the amount of independent stuff comming out that people thought it was some sort of 'movement' that was going to make some sort of difference but, lets face it many bands have been releasing good independent albums for years.

I think it must have taken real guts for Jim Carroll to submit that article particularly as leagues writes for the Times too and I'm sure their paths cross all the time.

I love alot of Dublin bands but, I think our little 'scene' is now turning into what it originally set out to avoid i.e. it is a hierarchy of players and everyone is scrambling to get to the top of something which is (lets face it) totally irrelevant in International terms.

So why shouldn't someone be able to express their view of the scene as they see it. If it is as strong and good as we all say then surely it will be able to withstand a little jibe now and again.

I think it is a good thing. People should be a little more open to new stuff but, it seems it will not happen as long as you don't know a few people across the scene that will almost 'vouch' for you so that you are deemed acceptable by the masses

Thems my views!!

:)

Originally posted by DontMugYourself

These bands play all the time and are constantly 'lumped' together. Oh look (what a surprise) its TRM, Jimmy Cake, Dudley Corp, Goodtime, C4O, Paul O'Reilly & Steve Fanagan, Joan of Arse, Creative Controle, Daddy & Del9 etc...etc.. We all know the strengths of most of the above but give us a godamn break already. we know who they are, stop constantly telling us about it and ramming it down our throats

As an actual event, Wonky was brilliant and I think I'm right in saying that anyone who went would love to see it on again. It was a superb venue and the installation art work by the C4O, del 9 and D.A.D.D.Y. were a lot of fun. It was probably the best Irish gig of the last couple of years.

Many of the bands who are playing in Wonky haven't actually played in a long time. Many of them are busy recording, and perhaps some of them are just getting sick of playing to"the same 400/500 people (tops (that's not really true - a lot more people than you'd think are into these bands)) that go to see these bands all the time".

But it's like I said... most of these bands will only have a limited appeal. The Irish audience for the Redneck Manifesto, the Jimmy Cake, C4O, Joan of Arse and the other bands from this particular Dublin scene is simply not going to increase that much. Continuing to promote this scene to the general Irish public as being some kind of musical breakthrough is basically just wasting time and energy. The audience that would be interested in it already know about it.

More attention should be put into promoting this scene abroad. Individual bands such as the Dudleys, The Rednecks, The NPB and Joan of Arse have played abroad, but to little effect. Going back to what the original idea behind Things You're Missing was to promote this particular Dublin scene collectively. If there was more active interest, the nationwide distribution could kick off very soon (this would not only benefit this Dublin scene, but also scenes in Limerick, Cork and Belfast). But something needs to be done about promoting the "independent" scene in Ireland to Britain and Europe. There is a bigger audience for a lot of these bands abroad.... it would be great if Dublin and Ireland was seen in Britain and Europe in the same light as Glasgow, Reykjavik or Manchester - basically as some sort of musical "hot spot". This idea was touted initially, but quickly came apart..... but there's no reason why something shouldn't be resurrected. Afterall, only two distributors were approached and no foreign promoters were approached at all.

As for the Dublin-centric nature of events like Wonky and the Sabbath, it probably should be pointed out that these events were trying to make money. Certainly the Sabbath was in aid of a good cause. The bands that play them will bring in a crowd and they don't cost much, hence the reason they're on the bill (the events were held in Dublin... a band like Weevil are not going to attract a large audience in Dublin, yet). Things You're Missing is and is trying to promote a greater variety of bands from across the country. The zine will be trying to feature articles of music scenes that don't get as much attention in the general Irish press, such as the jazz, seanós singing, metal, punk scenes and music from different ethnic groups from around the country.

The Irish music scene is in a really healthy state. I think it's time we shared it with those who would love it. Dismissing it has always been the easy thing to do.

Listen, it's just a newspaper article; if these bands go on to bigger things - and hopefully for them, they will - they'll have to put up with a lot worse.

Can I ask any of the bands concerned whether you mind being considered part of a scene? Usually bands are reluctant to be indentified as such.

I think there is scope for Irish bands to build stronger connections abroad, but personally I think it would be difficult unless you're full-time musician with the backing of a record company.

Incidentally, I was once mentioned in the Irish Times:

'Mumblin' Deaf Ro - admission €6'

...which I think was a fair comment.

Originally posted by Speed Racer

Thanks! Mammy would be proud.

Please for the love of all thats good and holy, will you shut the fuck up... or at least think about what you are going to say before you say it...

Sure the same X amount of people go to see these bands, the bands share musical taste, venues etc and so get to know each other personally. Many become friends. I'm sure the same thing happens in Fishing circles!. Scenes Happen.

I have absolutly no problem with Large Mound being considered by others part of the so called Dublin Independent Music Scene. It means NOTHING.

It's events like Wonky that will bring out people who have not heard or seen these bands before. Hell, there's friends of mine who will go to guinesss and not consider going to GZ. They have their reasons I'm sure.

I wonder if fans of Turn, Brando and Subrosa etc the other give out about seeing the same bands over and over in the TBMC? hhhhmmmm

Re: Maybe Jim Carroll is right

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
I think fair play to Jim Carroll for writing that article. I do agree that it is a bit harsh but, it's probably just a reaction to something that has been building up for a long time now.

The article wasn't 'a bit harsh'; it was completely devoid of any journalistic merit. Slating everything
without citing any precedent or examples isn't clever - he's trying to set himself up as the Eamonn Dunphy of music as far as I can tell. 'LOOK AT ME!'

These bands play all the time and are constantly 'lumped' together. Oh look (what a surprise) its TRM, Jimmy Cake, Dudley Corp, Goodtime, C4O, Paul O'Reilly & Steve Fanagan, Joan of Arse, Creative Controle, Daddy & Del9 etc...etc.. We all know the strengths of most of the above but give us a godamn break already. we know who they are, stop constantly telling us about it and ramming it down our throats[/QUOTE]

It's just a gig. Outside of the Sabbath, The jimmy cake have played with two of the bands on that list and only us, and goodtime played the last Wonky, if i remember correctly. It's hardly the same line up now is it?

Yes it is a scene that celebrates itself, it's very back patting and lets face it, is the same 400/500 people (tops) that go to see these bands all the time. I think late last year cause of the whole hype thing with that Irish Times article and the amount of independent stuff comming out that people thought it was some sort of 'movement' that was going to make some sort of difference but, lets face it many bands have been releasing good independent albums for years.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see your point. Backslap other bands for putting out good records a while?
I didn't get the meaning of that in the Times in any case.

I think it must have taken real guts for Jim Carroll to submit that article particularly as leagues writes for the Times too and I'm sure their paths cross all the time.[/QUOTE]

No it didn't. it took a remarkably shortsigted and irritatingly amateurish gobshite.

I love alot of Dublin bands but, I think our little 'scene' is now turning into what it originally set out to avoid i.e. it is a hierarchy of players and everyone is scrambling to get to the top of something which is (lets face it) totally irrelevant in International terms. [/QUOTE]

Who's scrambling? What are you talking about?
I thought everyone was just getting on with it...

So why shouldn't someone be able to express their view of the scene as they see it. If it is as strong and good as we all say then surely it will be able to withstand a little jibe now and again.[/QUOTE]

Very true, I just wish somebody could come up with a decent jibe or, heaven forbid, real criticism. 'They're shit', doesn't really cut it for the Times as far as I'm concerned.

The buggardly article should have been ignored in the first place...

i just read the whole article.
i think some of it was pretty much on the mark considering the fact that when he was off the mark, his mark was off his own point. and you know what happens when someone's point is off their mark? their point turns into a markpoint which eventually turns into someone else's point/mark and then there's two points (or markmarks) floating around and everyone just ends up having a laugh.

Originally posted by happy
and then there's two points (or markmarks) floating around and everyone just ends up having a laugh.

Until someone loses an eye....

Hmph... I blame computers, immigrants and homosexuality.

How many times has a character on Fair City asked for a night off work so she can go see Jim Carroll?

I rest my case....

hello friends, it's good to be back!
anyone see the latest issue of homage, the one with the cd? y'know, it's got a picture of a topless woman on the cover with a nose bleed and some hip graffiti in the background... yes. chock full of interesting interviews where people in bands talk about being in a band and things relating to being in a band or people they know in bands and stuff relating to those people in those bands... yes.
i made an attempt at reading some of these interviews out loud while in the company of my peers in an attempt to be seen as a good boy who is funny but found it hard to finish the first page of the redneck manifesto article due to a pain in my anus... yes.
i think leagues is a human being whose pen (or biro) weilding skills must be admired but i find difficult to distinguish between him and smiley bolger.
HOLLA!!!!!!!!

jay-hay-ses.

the fucking outcry over this is uttely hillarious. so, if the "scene" was really all that vibrant, where's the insecurity coming from. And everybody knows that the Rednecks sound just like Dudley who sounds remarkably like GTJ who's the spitting image of the C4O. relax the cacks like. IT's like that time Motson said he had difficulty telling black players apart cos they all look the same. ho ho ho. i can't believe i'm even dignifying this.

anyway, way back in the day, a certain david kitt used to support the das madman which would make him part of the sceene and now he owns the world or something.

my point is of course, who gives a fuck. really.

Ho ho, ah, ahem!! Yes quite invigorating on the hilarity front. This *scene* thingy seems to be getting a bit o a batterin'. Having seen this oracle based structure from under the carpet so-to-speak, it seems a fairly innoccuous type act to be recieving such biled comments from either side of the musio/hack divide.
s'jus heads havin' a bit a gas, and its enough to have napolewan planning how the future's to be panned out!
Still, - bit o skih wha? -

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back