dublins latest scene that celebrates itself (1 Viewer)

The point is that total untruths in the media (whatever) *can* put people off. It was only the other day when I was suprised to get this first hand (ish)...

I went into the Sound Cellar to put up Mound posters and to see if they'd sold any albums. They guy says that "I think that poster put people off"
Of course I'd forgotten what he was talking about untill he reminded me of the Lapsus Lingue gig in GZ where we played with them. The poster said "Dublin's answer to Limp Biscuit" beneath Large Mound. I'm sure it was just GZ having a laugh but at the time I was furious and considered telling them to shove their gig up their holes (but that would just be a bit southsidery). Then forgot about it and the gig was deadly.

Anyway my point is that you tend to forget that people *do* read this shit and believe it. So be careful.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
And everybody knows that the Rednecks sound just like Dudley who sounds remarkably like GTJ who's the spitting image of the C4O. relax the cacks like. IT's like that time Motson said he had difficulty telling black players apart cos they all look the same. ho ho ho. i can't believe i'm even dignifying this.

a fart sounds like a raspberry sounds like a nose being blown etc

while we are on the subject of sounds does anyone else think the dudley plc sound like that british band coldplay. you probably havent thought of it before but i wager every time you hear dudley from now on the wind will whisper "coldplay....."

What's the difference between the Corpo and Coldplay?
Plenty of people like Coldplay.
*sigh*

this is shit
I've had a month of hard slog at the obair and no time to check thumped

now I'm fucked if I know what's going on at all at all at all

"this is shit
I've had a month of hard slog at the obair and no time to check thumped

now I'm fucked if I know what's going on at all at all at all"

same thing that's always going, on, folks are calling other bands shit, they're insulting other people and recounting their first gigs, being mean to music journalists, just general fun really.

Originally posted by 10 years of noise and confusion
Whats the difference between the Corpo and Coldplay?

insert punchline here___________

Sorry, I disagree here. Coldplay are one of the most boring bands ever. Corpo have excellent drumming and fancy use of guitars*

*NOT to be used on Event Guide without the author's permission :D

Originally posted by Alex

Sorry, I disagree here. Coldplay are one of the most boring bands ever. Corpo have excellent drumming and fancy use of guitars*

*NOT to be used on Event Guide without the author's permission :D

Damn straight. Fuck Coldplay, Travis, The Doves! Boring mope rock. It's too easy to do that kinda stuff. Too damn easy.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Damn straight. Fuck Coldplay, Travis, The Doves! Boring mope rock. It's too easy to do that kinda stuff. Too damn easy.

Well, it's not about being easy, I'm sure there's a lot of work behind it which you should respect even if personally you don't like.

Rather than regarding this music's "quality" my point is: if I want to get depressed I can read the Irish Times, watch the news, think about my day job, check my bank account's balance or (worse) read your postings....(JOKE! :p ) Does it make sense?

I HATE this boring stuff. It's true that sometimes it's very intense as it's true that most of the greatest music are the product of its authour's genuine pain but... why should it be so depressing?

"Trench Town Rock" of Bob Marley (who I personally consider one of the best musician and song writers ever) is a nice upbeat rock steady tune: it does communicate the suffering of growing up in a ghetto (Kingstown's suburbs in the '50s were kind of Calcutta's slums) but it makes me feel good and positive. It's a message of hope, not of lamentation.

To cut a long story short, I have enough of my problems to get depressed for theirs..... FUCK Them! we ALL have problems, right?

ho hum

lets get back on topic. the back slappery of the scene.

i read that homage yoke with its naked models and bum riderish descriptions of bands -"trm: the band that make you feel like a teenager again!"

actual quote
".....so i was sitting at my piano one day reading my 'Battle:war stories for boys and girls annual' when i came across the line, he threw down his rifle and ran. now think about that for a moment. i did. as i put down the book it hit off the key 'A'......and the rest is history!"

listen boys i like yis i really do but i have to go. good luck.

I love Trenchtown Rock. And making positive music is exactly where I'd like to go believe it or not. I didn't mean that making a whole Coldplay album is easy. I meant that picking up a guitar hitting an A minor chord, and going "Oooooh, I never meant to do you no harm" (a line which appears over and over again on their first album)is easy to do. It's easy to write a song in that manner, rather than trying to write something so positive, upbeat or happy that you make people smile, bop their heads etc. Maybe even sound fun. I'm not saying that depressing music should be completely suppressed. But, too much of it is a terrible thing. And soooo samey alot of those bands are too. I personally find it really easy is to write a sad depressing song or sing in that manner because there isn't as much of a challange vocally as in positive songs. That's why I love the colourfulness of Marleys music. Has there ever been an Irish Reggae band?

Originally posted by old
Yes, but there probably shouldn't have been.

Why not? You don't have put on Jamaican accents to be Reggae. It's just a sound. Did anyone say to the Rolling Stones in the early sixties, "You can't write Blues songs, you're English, The Blues are from the Southern US. Stop listening to Muddy Waters!"

Why not? You don't have put on Jamaican accents to be Reggae. It's just a sound. Did anyone say to the Rolling Stones in the early sixties, "You can't write Blues songs, you're English, The Blues are from the Southern US. Stop listening to Muddy Waters!"

if an Irish Reggae band turn out to be as big as the Rolling Stones I'll let you away with that one.

If not I'll kick your ass.

And to think I actually gave a serious answer to your last question

Has there ever been an Irish Reggae band?

There is actually a great Irish band at the moment: Kingsativa. They got to support The Wailers at The Olimpia and perform also an excellent tribute to Bob Marley as "Catch The Fire".

They are very nice people too and are *true* Irish: play Reggae but wear football T-shirts ! :p

There is a *small* underground reggae/dub scene in Dublin: on Wedsneys for instance there's an excellent night in a basement in Parnell St (don't remember the name, just turn left at the top of O' Connel St. and there's a small door on the left, just next to the pub).

There's also a World Culture festival in Dun Laoghourie (how the fuck d'you spell this?!?!) next week end

Unfortunately all the people I saw at reagge events/concerts didn't give a shit about the music but where there just to smoke dope. Same for all the tribute bands (Catch The Fire excluded, they're very good).

Old, I don't really see your point...... ? What's wrong with Reagge????

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back