• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 1

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Right, so now that I've finally, at long last, come around to Aldi, I'm looking to find other ways to cut my grocery spending but still get good, healthy food that tastes nice. I love the Asian market for spices, tofu, and other tasty goodies, but I'd like to expand.

I've never been to the Dublin Co-Op, but I've heard that some things are cheaper while others are dearer than in the shops. Seeing as this is 10 minutes' walk from my house, I should give it a shot. I also like the idea of buying local stuff whenever I can. What should I look out for, in particular?

pete said:
In particular, I'd look out for some of the complete spacers that go there.
Spacers?! You better believe it.... I'm the secretary of the place....
If you are looking for cheap produce the chances are you won't find it in the Dublin Food Co-op. However if you are looking for fairly traded, ethically produced food at reasonable prices then you will find it in the Dublin Food Co-op. Lidl/Aldi and all the super/hypermarkets are cheaper for most stuff but they are not owned by the people who shop there.

niallmc said:
If you are looking for cheap produce the chances are you won't find it in the Dublin Food Co-op. However if you are looking for fairly traded, ethically produced food at reasonable prices then you will find it in the Dublin Food Co-op. Lidl/Aldi and all the super/hypermarkets are cheaper for most stuff but they are not owned by the people who shop there.
i think you know who i'm talking about....

niallmc said:

Oh, I know the Co-op is the opposite of Lidli, and if I could afford to buy all right-on food, I would, but I can't right now. I figure, even if I have to do some of my shopping in hypermarkets, I might as well not get ripped off. I would like to minimise my reliance on Tesco and Dunnes, and find other places with comparable -- or cheaper -- prices to shop.

I'm just wondering about stuff like bulk food, how prices compare for stuff like soya milk, peanut butter, jarred foods, tinned foods, etc. What kind of other stuff is there? Are there things like local cheeses?

I think I'll start another thread about food. I love food.

You shouldnt shop in aldi because of the way it threats its female workers... people who stack the shelves are not allowed take breaks.. ie. toilet breaks so if a woman is having her period she has to wear a little sorta pager badge on her belt and press it in order for her to be let use the toilet and not get in any trouble....

Well this is what i was told by some one whom sister worked there...

floor workers then.... My father refuses to shop in them because he says they are bringing down the price of milk.. therefore fucking with our living with their cheap ass import milk....

Roisin said:
You shouldnt shop in aldi because of the way it threats its female workers... people who stack the shelves are not allowed take breaks.. ie. toilet breaks so if a woman is having her period she has to wear a little sorta pager badge on her belt and press it in order for her to be let use the toilet and not get in any trouble....

Well this is what i was told by some one whom sister worked there...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm not true methinks

Best bet for cheaper stuff is the bulk stuff, like you say - you can get big bags of rice, for instance, also a 5-litre can of olive oil is €40 which is damn good value

You can probably also buy things like nuts and maybe flour in bulk, cos they package those things themselves - correct me if I'm wrong there Niall. What do you look like by the way (Niall that is), I shopped there every week for about 18 months before I left Dublin?

egg_ said:
What do you look like by the way (Niall that is), I shopped there every week for about 18 months before I left Dublin?

george-clooney.jpg

egg_ said:
Best bet for cheaper stuff is the bulk stuff, like you say - you can get big bags of rice, for instance, also a 5-litre can of olive oil is €40 which is damn good value

You can probably also buy things like nuts and maybe flour in bulk, cos they package those things themselves - correct me if I'm wrong there Niall. What do you look like by the way (Niall that is), I shopped there every week for about 18 months before I left Dublin?
The co-op sell things in bulk and you can get a 20% discount if you buy that way. Members who work also get a 10%discount. We no longer pack our own produce as space restrictions and health regulations got in the way. We are looking to move to a new premises (current site under negotiation is at blackpitts near kevin street).
What do i look like? Mhy hair is shorter than most people who shop at the co-op.

good thing about shopping at dublin co-op is the whole political ethos of shopping there....
dont question whether to shop there.
just do.
especially if its only 10 min s from where you live!!

best treat for shopping there too are the bhajees for €1.

I used to get all my food in Sinbad's on Portobello bridge.
It's very cheap... and they're nice folk there.

Where is the Dublin Food Co-op? Somewhere near Pearse St isn't it? When's it open?

spiritualtramp said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm not true methinks

I'm afraid it is. I work for a trade union and this was in one of the union magazines so IT MUST BE TRUE! :p It was in Germany though, not over here. The women had to wear a scarf or something to indicate they had their period.

Seriously, they treat their staff bad and are very anti-union.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back