Diylan - Hot for 2009 (1 Viewer)

bohs punks

Website
Visit site
Thers an article in the tribune this week listing whats Hot for 2009 in ireland, anyway suprisingly ( or not - he does a lot of stuff) dylan haskins is in there as one of the hotties.

Listed as a documenary maker, record label owner, venue owner and diy gig promoter he's said to be " set to be a big player as recession - era music returns to indie basics"

What next? Oly on the cover of Vogue?

That shit's hilarious.
Nice to see Irish DIY has a frontman.
:rolleyes:
He should come to the DIY gigs in town!
That could make him even hotter!

Conor, I turned down the Vogue cover, but I'm in talks with Maximum Rock N Roll.

Makes a fair point to a certain extent in my opinion.
There is a certain amount of media jumping on this right now, which there's nothing particularly wrong with, but at the same time they are kind of talking Hideaway House etc. up as if it's the be all and end all of DIY. Fact is, the same media that are loving this right now would most probably shit on the idea of doing a similar article that dealt with another part of the DIY scene, such as out and out hardcore punk type gigs. If any media attention was to be brought to that side of things, it would almost certainly be far more critical and patronising. It would also probably not actually happen either, seems to me these particular media have picked up on what probably they view as a 'clean-cut sanitised' part of the DIY underground and are willing to run with that, whereas they wouldn't go near other things that are happening. Can you see an article like this appearing in relation to, for example, the Bad Obruni collective? I can't.
This stuff is all essentially music-oriented, and I believe that the media will only go near it if the DIY scene they can present basically consists of what I would view as music that is more accessible to the majority of their readers, or stuff they can present as trendy in some way. This invariably means that real contemporary actual punk rock is ignored, as in a musical sense proper punk rock largely ignores trends and is not accessible to a lot of people who can't accept or aren't into heavier more openly anti-authoritarian music, and I see it as just another way in which the media are hypocrites, willing to cover stuff as long as it's in their own interests and they can present it in their own way.
What I'm getting at, there is no way I would believe that Dylan and the Hideaway House etc. would be getting the same attention if they were doing gigs for the bands that eg. Bad Obruni puts on. But they get the attention when they're doing gigs for the likes of Calvin Johnson etc., stuff that is musically more accessible to a wider readership. Can anyone seriously envisage an article like this appearing in relation to a group where all the bands stated would be stuff like RIISTETYT and The Assassinators etc etc.? I'll believe that when I see it.

I think these kind of ideas are contained in that critical comment on the article, and I suspect that's the more the kind of point it's trying to get across, a criticism of the media for the most part. There is plenty in the comment I wouldn't agree with too though, there does seem to be a certain amount of personal feeling in it.

All that said, Dylan and co. can do whatever gigs they like, my criticism is of the media and not them. The only point I would stick on in relation to them is that as Conor kind of pointed out above, there is quite a large focus on age with this stuff, with people saying "blah blah he's just 21!" etc., which to me also implies that a 35 year old doing the same stuff wouldn't get the same attention for it, yet more press hypocrisy I reckon, and there is a certain amount of patronising going on there too, as if Dylan is just some toy for certain elements to pick up on and play with for a bit.
Cynical, moi?

was it you? it would be hilarious if it turned out to be niall mc or similar

Yeah it was me, you caught me out with your tricky questioning.
good work, Colombo.

Of course it wasn't me, I don't have a cynical bone in my body.

Really though, I don't think it was niall mc, read the comments later, a funny coincidence in the name though. too close to the 'hope' we all know to be a real name me thinks.

Cormoclash, were you drunk when you wrote your post? :rolleyes: You made the same point about three times repreatedly.

What I'm getting at, there is no way I would believe that Dylan and the Hideaway House etc. would be getting the same attention if they were doing gigs for the bands that eg. Bad Obruni puts on. But they get the attention when they're doing gigs for the likes of Calvin Johnson etc., stuff that is musically more accessible to a wider readership. Can anyone seriously envisage an article like this appearing in relation to a group where all the bands stated would be stuff like RIISTETYT and The Assassinators etc etc.? I'll believe that when I see it.

yeah agreed, but who gives a a fuck like? Is anybody here losing any sleep over the fact they haven't been approached by the Times or whatever yet? Sure if the likes of Divisions Ruin or Crowd Control turned up in the Evening Herald we'd all rip them aprt on here over it anyway. Let's be honest - part of the attraction to the DIY punk/hardcore thing is the fact that it's pretty much as far from the mainstream as possible anyway, so if they did get into it, we'd all moan about "our" bands being taken away from us.

I don't recall Dylan ever announcing himself as being representative of punk or hardcore in this country, just the DIY ethic.The media are all over him partially because he's put out records by Hooray For Humans and Heathers, two indie rock bands who are expected to be the next Irish sensation this year, and they want to be seen as there from the start.Like has anyone seen Frigits or Kidd Blunt mentioned in these articles? I haven't. Do I care? No.

More power to Dylan, and I hope he uses the media to further his projects the way they're trying to use him to further their credibility. Our paths don't cross that often but I've always found him genuine and enthusiastic even if his overwhelming positivity is a little much sometimes :) , and while I'm not into the genre of music he deals in, I have the utmost respect for him. I'd much rather have some guy who actively does stuff in a really DIY way in the paper than some cartoon punk or indie hipster who thinks liking Blood Brothers and Refused makes them a hardcore band.

i feeling the really cynisism about this. i liking the more media articles of violence dancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back